1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I got kicked out of google adsense

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by david_sakh, Oct 6, 2004.

(for invalid clicks) :eek:

I made them aware of the following:

Many of my peers (friends and enemies) know I'm making ad-revenue from the site.

I have advertised on local forums and around the localized area of my university.

I have NEVER asked anyone to click on my ads, and if I did myself, which I don't recall, it must have been an accident.

I forgot to tell them the following:

I have posted links to my site on university specific sites

I have added my page to the favorites list of the entire computer lab.

But I haven't violated the TOS....why are they killing my account?

david_sakh, Oct 6, 2004 IP
  2. hurricane_sh

hurricane_sh Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Did they give you a warning before they killed your account? I think it's the worst thing of Adsense - you can be kicked out without doing anything wrong, they should improve it.

hurricane_sh, Oct 6, 2004 IP
  3. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Did you ask them for clarification?

digitalpoint, Oct 6, 2004 IP
  4. david_sakh

david_sakh Peon

Best Answers:
    no warning at all - i just get an account disabled message....

I e-mailed them last night, but I still haven't recieved a response. Their original message was cookie-cutter bearaucrat BS, so i tried to appeal to their rational human side when asking for clarification....

One thing - I earned double digit figures this month, which is crazy for a site with <10,000 total page impressions, but most of the money was from certain days when a few clicks generated >$10. They must have been clicks on pages with more expensive keywords, not the ones on the frontpage that were for popcap and freeze and other nonsense that couldn't logically pay much.

Some of my ads were for grills, makeovers, and lawyers, of all things....I hope my CPM didn't make them angry :confused:

5. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I wish you luck - I've yet to hear of a reversal in the past 6 months though. :(

schlottke, Oct 6, 2004 IP
  6. david_sakh

david_sakh Peon

Best Answers:
    damn -so they can just rip people off any time they feel like it? I hope if they are going to withhold my money they will refund the advertisers as well. :angry:

7. xml

xml Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree this should be the course of action Google SHOULD take. Its theft if Google are taking your money for invalid clicks, and not reimbursing the advertisers.

I don't mind Google being quiet about things like PR, Algo changes etc, I could care less. But when they fail to properly explain after disabling an AdSense account it is TOTALLY OUT OF ORDER.

xml, Oct 6, 2004 IP
  8. TopSpin

TopSpin Peon

Best Answers:
    It definitely makes me wary of wanting to do anything to promote my pages with AdSense adverts - which I THOUGHT was the whole point of AdSense... to offer topic related ads in places other than the main Google site.

TopSpin, Oct 6, 2004 IP
  9. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well hold on here, we are lucky enough to be part of their network and make an income off their product. David, from what I have heard, there is always two sides to every story. Now, I know we will not hear Google's side on this specific situation, but they must have had their reasons. I would check your logs for IP addresses that seem to be appearing alot. I posted a thread about log analyzers that could do things like telling you when someone clicked on an ad, but I have not received a proper response. A log analyzer that could do that would allow you to quickly see who is doing what an when.

On a side note, I too have never heard of anyone being allowed back in inside of 9 months. I hope you get to the bottom of it.

NewComputer, Oct 6, 2004 IP
  10. david_sakh

david_sakh Peon

Best Answers:
    so if they aren't going to give me my money back, will they at least let me start with a clean slate if I take measures to de-localisze exposure? Because I don't have an insane CTR, it's rather low actually, it's just I know that most of my impressions are probably coming from within a 5-sq mile radius. Most of the IPs I've seen are *i think* from res-halls. (like in my guestbook i see "clemson resnet blah blah blah*

also, i have a full admin CP with analog stats and stuff, maybe I shoudl explore all my options there....

11. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    If I were you, I would not just let it slip through your fingers. I have a very regional site that generated several thoudand dollars over the course of a week- all from this specific location (and further outstate) and it redflagged their system. If you truely are not doing anything wrong, they will make it right. They can tell one way or the other- think about newspaper sites- they get 80% of their audience from their area- google doesnt ban them.

schlottke, Oct 6, 2004 IP
  12. hey

hey Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the reason you got kicked out is maybe people from the computer lab clicked it and that would be one single IP (i'm guessing their a lan). If not a LAN they could suspect someone using multiple computers to cheat at the lab . If you didn't cheat that stinks :-(

hey, Oct 6, 2004 IP
  13. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    When I was a total newbie and was using adsense on my site for the first time, I clicked on the ads a few times. I got an email from Google saying that they knew I was clicking on my ads and I should stop doing it.

Of course, I felt like an a*s, and never did it again, so they DO warn people, unless they see that the clicks are so fraudulent that they decide it is better to kill the account without warning.

fryman, Oct 6, 2004 IP
  14. NewComputer

NewComputer Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What do you mean by money back? Did you fork over money to become part of AdSense?

NewComputer, Oct 6, 2004 IP
  15. melfan

melfan Peon

Best Answers:
    It is dangerous to advertise or set the homegapes of a computer lab using the same IP. If most of users on that network clicks your adsense it will be log as one IP and cause the red flag to raise. I know this should not be the case specially to regions that internet cafe is commonly available but google have no choice it is almost impossible to determine a valid click from fraud one from that areas. So for them to protect their advertisers they may gamble by losing some of their publishers than lose control of it.

melfan, Oct 6, 2004 IP
  16. qll

qll Peon

Best Answers:
    I am going to ask adsense about it, as I am planing something similar. That is why I say AM is a much better way to make money. Sooner or later the profit in Adsense will be dropped to AM level. As if you look at both pub and adv. AS and AM are just the middle men. Ideally, if the percentage cut is the same, profit is the same. AS allows the average sites got some money, well only the best can win AM war. Adwords opens doors to average sites, so there are more revenue streams in. AM has a much higher entrace fee.

qll, Oct 6, 2004 IP
  17. melfan

melfan Peon

Best Answers:
    actually im doing similar local advertisement for my regional websites. I provide free rental software for internet cafe and in return owners will let me displays my ads in idle and active mode. i already google ask about this but they did not give definite answer. it not a big deal to me since i get my 90% profit from membership fee.

melfan, Oct 6, 2004 IP
  18. david_sakh

david_sakh Peon

Best Answers:
    ARARGH! The entire UNIVERSITY is on a network! Would THAT explain it?

19. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes David - if your clicks are coming from the university, and youve logged in on university computers it may trigger it..

schlottke, Oct 7, 2004 IP
  20. boogle

boogle Peon

Best Answers:
    My advise and personal experience, dont even log into your account from uni! If you read any of my posts you will see i had a similar problem, the chances of adsense re-instating you are 0.001%.

If you want another account you will need to leave it for atleast another week. Try signing up on a different computer. If they turn you down you will have to try again with a different name ie a releative who doesnt mind cashing the cheque and giving you the money. I believe google only watches for NAMES and IPs when re-signing up as i have managed to get my site back with adsense just by changing the two even after google basically said p**s off you aint coming back in.

boogle, Oct 7, 2004 IP