1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I got hacked

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by Homer, Mar 30, 2005.

1. ziandra

ziandra Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Absolutely.
    No, actually, after the exploit was announced, PHP was patched and you had to run the latest, latest greatest version. People who ran their own servers had to upgrade their servers quick and did not have time to run a proper validation. People who did not manage their own servers had two choices. Turn off their forum or pray the script kiddies did not find them.

The analogy to windows 1.0 is not very accurate. It is not even accurate to compare to people who are still running SP1 and have not upgraded to SP2. It is people who are running SP2 without hotfix KB3434321-ab-prime2..

As for alternatives, there are a lot of forum packages out there. Few are as feature rich at the price point (Free) of phpBB.

ziandra, Apr 2, 2005 IP
  2. Homer

Homer Spirit Walker

Best Answers:
    Yes PHP is the real problem. I am running the most recent version, now. Also have a back up drive I did not have before :eek:.

I am told the latest verion of phpbb (2.0.13) is safe but it seems it's a cat and mouse game when the 'fixes' are made public... http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=267563

So that's why I'm wondering if there is better (safer) programs to run. I lost all my data which means I have to start from scratch anyways. I'll be f*#cked if I'm going to let this happen again. A wise man once said 'no lunch is free'...maybe I'm better to purchase a good forum program. :confused:

Homer, Apr 2, 2005 IP
  3. neterslandreau

neterslandreau Peon

Best Answers:
    You should also considering installing Bastille (assuming you're running a Linux box). It hardens your system nicely and provides daily emails letting you know if your security's been tested by crackers.

neterslandreau, Apr 6, 2005 IP