1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I feel scammed !

Discussion in 'Programming' started by montana, Nov 30, 2012.

I`ve been watching this forum for a few years now , lots of helpful things here but i never had any serious question to ask or help needed . Now I have both and I`ll be concise.

I want to open a PPC website so I`ve bought a script (the clixscript from incentivescripts) and i`ve made a design of my own that doesn`t suit with the way clixscript design is.
    Also there are a couple of minor addons to be added, one a little complicated and another one heavy as some guy put it(which is not a programer, he is a designer):
    - a little dot inside the ad (just like in neobux and wordlinx), so it must be programed. ex: http://postimage.org/image/di4bw762x/
    - ad number and featured link near the Browse Ads button ex: http://postimage.org/image/is4p9r0y1/
    - a member informational page that I`ve made for those who want to advertise and target a specific country. I believe they deserve to know what they are targeting. It is like a table or sheet that shows information about each country that has members registered to my website .ex:http://postimage.org/image/cgpixy1ij/
    - and the 'heavy' one who is an advertisement place who has to look like this: http://postimage.org/image/t787ln6el/ The one at the bottom

All of these have to be made by a programer.

The thing is something else concern me. To code my .psd pages (10) I have to pay $300(i`ve already paid $150), coding and integration they say, and who knows how much for the addons. I feed scammed to pay 300$ with my own design. I think is a very huge amount. But i`m not to good at this and I didn`t had time to google my issue.

What do you guys think? How much does a coding should cost and how much for those addons? I need offers, solutions or an explanation. If you have any other questions let me know. I already feel bad about this and I`m so close to give up on it entirely until i find someone i can trust and is not so @#$%^& greedy!

Please let me know!

montana, Nov 30, 2012 IP
  2. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How much would Chevy charge you to build a car if you came in with your own design?

How much would a top restaurant charge you to prepare a fine dinner if you came in with your own food?

A website costs what it costs, based on how long it takes the developer to develop it. You're paying $X/hour, whether it's quoted that way or you're given a flat price. (A good developer knows how long it'll take to develop whatever you tell him you need.)

If you want oats that have been through the horse you can save a lot of money, but you won't be getting uneaten oats, you'll be getting fertilizer.

Rukbat, Nov 30, 2012 IP
    DaveInFL likes this.
  3. montana

montana Member

Best Answers:
    This sound more like an aggression then an explanation. Do you feel attacked or something?

Wile waiting for a response here, I found a website that charge a little less then $200 for coding and integration and in this price it includes a full website design.

montana, Nov 30, 2012 IP
  4. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    learn to code it yourself then ;)

$300 to take a .psd and code it for almost any framework isn't that bad at all.

Brandon Sheley, Nov 30, 2012 IP
  5. Twizce

Twizce Member

Best Answers:
    Hello pm me and i will have it coded for you.

Twizce, Nov 30, 2012 IP
  6. montana

montana Member

Best Answers:
    "$300 to take a .psd and code it for almost any framework isn't that bad at all. " That is what you should have said in the first place without doing moral writing. Thank You.

montana, Nov 30, 2012 IP
  7. giorgioarmani

giorgioarmani Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There's plenty of dubious and megalomaniac developers out there.

Take vBulletin and you see a decent script, a bargain price and a long history of development.

(There's plenty of room for advancing, improving and taking the script to the next level... But then:

Compare it to some scripts that cost $250, $400, $650 and you quickly identify what's worth paying for!

giorgioarmani, Nov 30, 2012 IP
  8. postly

postly Active Member

Best Answers:
    True that!

postly, Nov 30, 2012 IP
  9. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You're directly comparing the price of a script developed to sell to hundreds or thousands of customers with no changes, and a script developed custom for a single customer. Compare the price of a Chevy to a Jensen. (Jensen builds each car for the individual buyer.)

The seller has one single chance to get paid for a custom job, so the single customer pays a lot more. But he gets precisely what he wants, custom designed to his specific needs. vBulletin won't (as far as I know) allow LDAP logins. A custom-written site will, if that's what you want it to do. But you pay for 100% of the development cost, not 1/1,000 of the cost or less.

Rukbat, Dec 1, 2012 IP
  10. dhamaniasad

dhamaniasad Member

Best Answers:
    $300 is pretty cheap actually. But if you still want it to be cheaper, try using fiverr and find someone who will slice(or whatever its called)/turn the psd into a website.

dhamaniasad, Dec 1, 2012 IP
  11. giorgioarmani

giorgioarmani Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Nope, I'm not comparing anything like you are saying: I am simply talking about scripts, not about custom developed sites for a single customer.

vBulletin started somewhere just like any other script and with its pricing policy, support policy and product quality, it built up thousands of customers.

What I'm saying is I've seen scripts charge double or triple and then hidden in their terms and conditions it says, you can't sell the license.

Or after having handed over hundreds of dollars, the developer lets you know that the script is sold as is, or i.e. no support.

Or I've seen scripts sell for thousands of dollars and although granted, they are somewhat superior to others, the premium is no relation to the difference in lets say quality.

Trust me, those I'm referring to above, will never succeed and certainly never build up a user-base of tens of thousands, let alone hundreds of thousands.

And again, I'm not talking about a script to manage an airline, or a global corporations internal accounting or a logistics company's orders I'm talking about your typical webmasters scripts, to do this, to clone that, to CMS for this or to perform functions x, y, z...

Certainly a custom built script for one customer will come with what you are saying, but that wasn't the direction I was discussing.

giorgioarmani, Dec 1, 2012 IP
  12. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    vBulletin isn't a custom script and never was intended to be, so it was priced as a mass-market product.

"your typical webmasters scripts" You mean the bloated, semantically-incorrect, unmaintainable scripts written by people who don't know the difference between a union and an array? Okay, something like that for $500 is a total rip-off. (It's not a bargain even for $50.) But a vBulletin custom-written for you, with tech support for a year, and you can sell the license, for $1,000? That's dirt cheap. I can get $50/hour plus benefits for sitting in an office writing that kind of code, and that's a low salary these days.

As far as little hidden gotchas - read the contract. If it's not in there, you're not getting it, so don't complain later that they won't do it. If it's in there and they refuse to honor it, you have a good chance of winning a specific performance suit in court, AND recovering all court costs. (But not if the "company" is some 16 year old kid in another country who only advertises in free forums.)

Software is a business, the same as any other business. If you buy a "Rollecks" watch from some guy in an alley for $5, don't be surprised when it stops working an hour later. Rolex will repair their own watches, though. You get what you pay for if you do your due diligence. If you have no idea what a watch should look like, you may save a lot of money by paying someone to do the research for you. (Not meaning any particular "you", but anyone who wants to buy software for a web site.)

Rukbat, Dec 1, 2012 IP
  13. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Now, don't take this the wrong way -- but you are building a scam website (which is ALL pay per click is in the first place) and YOU'RE the one feeling scammed? :confused:

Of course that you've drawn a bunch of goofy pictures of websites instead of building content of value, marking it up semantically and then letting the content and semantics dictate your layout means you've also put the cart before the horse. How that back-assward approach to web development even caught on is beyond me, apart from the art chik-fil-a's now ruling the industry with their inaccessible bloated slow nonsense.

As to price, I'd have to see those goofy PSD that are probably chock to the brim with "but I can do it in photoshop" nonsense that has no business on a website (that's wild guess, but usually accurate) before I could weigh in on that. A normal price runs anywhere from $100 to a full on grand depending on how different the pages are and just how much "accessibility, what's what?" and "What do you mean websites shouldn't be doing that" garbage is in them.

... and the price goes up as you add more bloated garbage javascript you want on them.

deathshadow, Dec 2, 2012 IP
  14. Brandon Sheley

Best Answers:
    There was no "moral writing"
    It's a fact.
    If you don't like the price you're paying to have something coded, then learn how to code yourself.
    sorry if that offended you ;)

Brandon Sheley, Dec 3, 2012 IP
  15. EricBruggema

EricBruggema Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I found that quote realy funny! :) learning will cost alot more then letting someone else do it! :)

$300 isn't cheap, but it isn't expensive aswel! quality comes with a price. I make custom build sites and normaly i'll pay 50 EURO per PAGE to code it (html/css/javascript) and the quality is great! but the code isn't ready for wordpress or other frameworks, that's because i write my own scripts. If i'll want to let it be framework ready price will be 200% higher! (and its understandable).

So my opinion is that it isn't expensive... if you want quality you have to pay for it!

EricBruggema, Dec 5, 2012 IP
  16. cbtshares

cbtshares Member

Best Answers:
    Chalk it up to an experience learned my friend

cbtshares, Dec 12, 2012 IP
  17. montana

montana Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all replies. I received some good advices. I just wanted an opinion as I didnt know what are the regular prices. I got an ideea now..of some sort. I also see that some of you start judging whitout knowing or even see the website for that matter . Or what it contains. Some of you judge based on your own fixation. Its ok, the site it is not launched yet and don`t worry I don`t feel offended. Only astounded.

montana, Dec 17, 2012 IP
  18. Brandon Sheley

Best Answers:
    Learning can be free ;)
    There are tons and tons of free tutorial sites that will teach you how to program, code or design if you take the time to learn it.

Brandon Sheley, Dec 17, 2012 IP
  19. dscurlock

dscurlock Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If you feel scammed now, just wait, your design/coding have just began...
    wait till you figure out you dont have the traffic, then you have to turn
    to paid emarketing which can cost 100's to 1000's of $$, and does not guarantee success....

coders can charge what they want, its their business, you have the right not to use them....

I highly advise you start with the best PPC pre-made script first, because if you can not
    make that a success, then I doubt you will do much better with some custom that can cost you $1,000
    but i guess you expect a coder you provide you tons of rich design, features for next to nothing....

but hey, good luck...
    I am not going to sugar coat it for you...

dscurlock, Dec 17, 2012 IP
  20. montana

montana Member

Best Answers:
    You are very right about the traffic problem, that was the first thing I thought about, but i`m going to make a referral program and put some other oportunities on the website to make it at least interesting if not ...atractive. I`m constantly scouting for other things that can bring money to users. I`m trying to make it as different as i can from the other ppc websites. It sound like a cliche I know but I`m doing this because i like to do it , not because i saw others they have some or a lot of success with these sort of websites. About the design, well i`m doing it myself. The reason is i don`t wan`t to pay for the design and for coding, it is to much and since i have photoshop on my laptop, why not use it?

montana, Jan 11, 2013 IP