1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I feel bad charging what I know I am worth.

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Sorvoja, Sep 16, 2004.

1. fryman

fryman Kiss my rep

Best Answers:
    1st rule of the rep system: Don't talk about the rep system...

Forget about it... lots of people don't like it when you speak your mind. Heck, I would have 6 greens now if I just followed everybody around here and nodded like an ass :D

Who cares? What, me worry?

fryman, Jul 28, 2005 IP
    RectangleMan likes this.
  2. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    My newest registrations.

SEOsucks.com
    SEOsuck.com

:)

This should be fun.

RectangleMan, Jul 28, 2005 IP
    Epica likes this.
  3. Dreamshop

Dreamshop Peon

Best Answers:
    That's just thing I don't think you're grasping...most of us here are agreeing that there AREN'T any secrets. If someone wants to learn how to do seo they can, all the info is available if they're willing to put the time and effort into it. If you want to stereotype people that's easy enough, people "love" to have something to hate.

If you're going to spend time and energy writing, why not put together a free how-to seo book? You might get green rep instead of red if you were actually contributing something, as opposed to just bitching about it. :cool:

Dreamshop, Jul 28, 2005 IP
  4. RectangleMan

Best Answers:
    Actually that will be the plan for the site...to just spell it out as best I can and make sure the site is about sharing info and not keeping it a secret. Besides I think seosucks.com is kind of a catchy domain name. Sites that are anti-something can do very well.

I will try to add satire to the site. I was thinking of doing everything I can to NOT seo the seosucks.com site and see how it does. Has anyone ever tried to do everything wrong at a site to see what happens?

RectangleMan, Jul 28, 2005 IP
  5. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    It only takes a few minutes of looking at my sites to see that I'm no SEO expert.

I am however one of the best at my primary job and that's a far cry from people a tier below me. I'm not the most expensive in the industry, but I am very expensive. I never charge below what I feel I am worth, and I never feel bad about what I charge.

When you offer Cadillac services, people expect to pay Cadillac costs. If you offer the Cadillac at the cost of a Geo you will not be successful. It's the nature of business in general. You can do lower cost services to get started and gain a reputation, but that's about it.

There are a lot of factors involved in costs that you don't take into account early in the development of a business. Health care costs are out of this world right now. Quality Tax advice gets more expensive every year. At some point, you will need a lawyer on retainer if your business is around for any length of time. The list goes on. All of these things cost money and have to be accounted for.

I cringe anytime I see someone in my industry taking a project at half or less than half of what I charge. Every time rates get driven down by a bozo like that it means that I'm going to have to go in and fix things later. It's inevitable.

SEO services can be expensive, but they should be. If they were cheap, every guy out there would have it done for his fly-by-night e-commerce site. If you are giving a good deal, let the customer know they are getting a good deal - and let them know it won't be around forever. Your customers need you to stay in business in order to support them later on - like six months after they stop using your services and their rankings have gone sour. You need to stay in business if you go 2 months without a quality revenue earning project.

Don't feel bad. Earn the money and feel good about it. If it comes easy to you, all the better.

nevetS, Jul 28, 2005 IP
  6. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    I think SEO is mostly hype and marketing too, I have said in other posts I think a lot of SEOs are basically bad web designers.

But as long as it makes money, it will have value.

There are other people who have done the same thing you are doing basically but to specific seos

http://www.the-seo-bitch.info/

ferret77, Jul 29, 2005 IP
  7. RectangleMan

Best Answers:
    Hey I am not gonna pretend I am high and mighty. I have of course made money of big clients for cheap jobs. I used to own a retail establishment for 10 years in NYC and my prices were very high. I had rent and employees to pay and i could care less about what others thought of my price. Of course I heard this statement daily "but I can get this on ebay cheaper"...my generic response "so buy it on ebay". Eventually it was part of the reason I sold the place and moved to vegas.

I don't like to target individuals. Thinking more on my idea I just think it would be good place for anyone to vent, even SEO's.

RectangleMan, Jul 29, 2005 IP