I don't think Panda or Penguin "penalized" websites

Discussion in 'Google' started by MyArtGallery, May 26, 2012.

Hi

Please excuse me for my English:

I see that many articles related to this Panda or Penguin update saying that a website may be penalized if that website have too many backlinks with the same anchor text. Well I think the word "penalized" is not the right one. The right phrase is "those keywords inside the anchor text are not counted any more".

A website is not "penalized" for too many back links with the same anchor......I think that too many back links with the same anchor text are not counted as a back link by Google (or as strong back link). Sure, they are still counted but with a minor influence on SERP. Let's say Google stopped counting the keywords from anchors. The link is just counted as a back link but without a great influence in SERP (for that keyword we used in the anchor).

As an example: A website created 600 back links with the anchor text "make money online". Before this Panda or Penguin update, Google was able to count the keyword and an increase in SERP for that keyword was possible. Now it's not. Because google will see this just as a back link (do not matter what keyword you use there).

Let's say the guys that are saying that a website gets penalized for too many back links with the same anchor text have right. OK, then. Let's see who is on the first page for the keyword : "make money online" (our competitor) and let's start building about 10000 back links with this keyword. Do you think google will "penalize" it just because of your action? I'm sure Google will not do this. Googe will not allow a third person to negatively affect your website ranking. Google will not "penalize" it...it will just not count that back links you create as a "spam". Your competitor will still be on the first page of Google without any penalization because your spamy backlinks are just not counted.

Let's stop saying a website is penalized for this. If you stopped ranking for a keyword...it's not because you used too many back links with the same anchor text. Don't waste your time trying to remove them. Your website lost in SERP because that keywords inside your anchor text are not counted anymore (but not because you have been penalized). Your website ranks as it was ranked before you started creating them but not because you have been penalized. If your website is only 3-4 months old and you created many backlinks with a keyword you wanted to rank for, and if now you think your website have been penalized for this...well you are wrong. Google didn't penalized your website for this...those keywords are not counted. It's like your website is a new one with no back links. I think google will penalize a website only for on page wrong SEO like duplicate content, hidden text and so on...

PS: My advice. Try creating back links from blogs that are related to you. I mean the entire blog...not just an article related to you posted on a general blog. Don't be afraid to use keywords in your back links (they will not count but you can use them if you want :)..you will not get penalized for this). What counts for google is the entire blog niche (not only your article content). Just make sure each article you post on blogs is unique. If you intend to post on 50 blogs related to your niche make sure the entire blog is related to your nice and each article have unique content (a completely new article for each blog).

Last edited: May 26, 2012
    MyArtGallery, May 26, 2012 IP
    ryan_uk likes this.
  2. danasurvey

danasurvey Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think a lot of people on this forum would disagree that Panda or Penguin does not penalize websites. I just replied to a post from another forum member who lost his good ranking after a recent Google update. And I've seen 1,000's more threads like that on Digital Point and on other forums.

danasurvey, May 26, 2012 IP
  3. MyArtGallery

MyArtGallery Active Member

Best Answers:
    I do think Panda or Penguin penalize websites but I'm just saying that not for links placed on other website but for on page seo like over optimization, duplicate content, etc.

MyArtGallery, May 27, 2012 IP
  4. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Right, but you seem to ignore how that could still be used to harm a website and cause a penalty. Negative SEO works.

When someone nefariously adds backlinks using anchor text that a website already successfully uses... and spams it with tens of thousands more... causing Google discounts those links, Google also discounts the "legitimate" backlinks for that same anchor text that the website already had, thus resulting in a penalty as the website lost the value of those anchor text backlinks that was not the result of spam.

The key is that Google has no idea who causes a backlink to be created.

browntwn, May 27, 2012 IP
  5. Anil Strivastava

Anil Strivastava Peon

Best Answers:
    OMG , I am a Vitim of Penalize mate :

2 of my sites , PR Rank got down by 2 , which is a lot , from PR6 it went to PR4 , now again to PR5 :p , but it went down by 2 (around i lost 70 - 100K visitors/day) which is a lot.

and one of my moderators (in my site) his site was Banned from the domain ( it listed that , you are using blogger network , for backlinks , fix your seo and resubmit) all his links were removed (one by one) and his site is still banned :( so sad

Anil Strivastava, May 27, 2012 IP
  6. MyArtGallery

Best Answers:
    does it means that if a third person will create too many back links to your website via blogger network, your website gets banned? Is it so simple to ban the competitors?

7. Anastasya4love

Anastasya4love Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    See on Google webmaster tool...

you can remove your backlink, of course backlink that potentially spam .. :)

Anastasya4love, May 27, 2012 IP
  8. jonathon

jonathon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google pushed my main website down the the fifth page, yet the first page on Google is full of spam and wordpress blogs and the site topping the list was last updated in 2010.

jonathon, May 27, 2012 IP
  9. thedark

thedark Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Instead of looking trough all your backlinks and try to figure out which might cause a problem and remove one by one, you would better go and find new quality backlinks.

I sent a reinclusion request, they replied me and said my site was not penalized in any way. However, there was a change in algorithm, and now, the way google weight some backlinks is different and this is the result of the actual results.

They put lower value in links from article directories, web directories and other crappy stuff.

In the last few years my website aquired only natural backlinks, however, when I started I wrote some articles related to my website and sent them to article directories. The websit got up in rankings back then and never lowered. I never done this in the past 5 years because I considered it spammy because all the articles were duplicate. Probably only with this penguin update, google was demoted those links, and this changed the game.

I think that most people here who work on seo on their own websites used article marketing. It was a good way to improve your popularity, because you added content to the web and google liked it. But in the last years, the duplicate is a big issue on google and they made a good move to stop copied and spinned content to get all over the internet.

They wanted this change because more and more people would spend thousand of dollars to take "experts" to game the system. When there are so much money directed to gaming a system, it is obvious that the system will fail. After this update, a seo "expert" can't guarantee that the website will get first page, and maybe money will be spent on smart marketing campaigns, directed on people, not on search engines, and stop desperately trying to game the system.

When I had my first website, I read a lot and tought it is the only way to get up: gaming the system. Well, after I was reading more and more articles, I decided that it is not the way I want to build websites anymore. Then, I build other websites but never user same tactics as on the website I "learned" SEO. On the new websites, everything was natural: original content, natural links. It is true that I was posting my link on my online profiles, social media, there is no problem telling the link to people who follow me, letting them know what I am working on. Since the websites are responding to a real need, I posted relevant links to places where people were looking for the information.

Guess what, those websites are doing just fine after all the Panda and Penguin updates.

thedark, May 27, 2012 IP
  10. sbsbookmark

sbsbookmark Peon

Best Answers:
    Google panda and penguin just filtering the spam website they are not doing the website banning work. If your website is getting banned for any reason is that your link building optimization process.

sbsbookmark, May 27, 2012 IP
  11. jonathon

jonathon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I might try that on one of my competitors, see if it works or not.

jonathon, May 27, 2012 IP
  12. MyArtGallery

Best Answers:
    You are right thedark. Google will not penalize for too many back links. He is just filter them adding no value to those links that were builded only for SERP purpose. People think that if their website stopped rank for a particular keyword, it means the website got penalized which is not true. Those back links with that keywords inside were just filtered with no value...not because of a penalization of the entire website.

13. MrKeh

MrKeh Peon

Best Answers:
    You've said it right. Google now sees if you have 1000 back links all with the exact same anchor text. This is a completely unnatural linking pattern. Now you will have to be diverse in your keywords when doing any sort of backlinking.

MrKeh, May 27, 2012 IP
  14. Synastute

Synastute Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Panda and Penguin updates from Google penalize the page ranks of the website. It is seen all the time after these updates are implemented by Google.

Synastute, May 27, 2012 IP
  15. Maximlis

Maximlis Member

Best Answers:
    Most of the sites are affected by Google Panda and Google Penguin.

Maximlis, May 27, 2012 IP
  16. jhonmike48

jhonmike48 Peon

Best Answers:
    I also agree with you. But Google Panda and penguin also do the penalize website. If we are ignore naturally SEO technique and we are do the over optimization then Google panda and penguin definitely penalize for website.

jhonmike48, May 27, 2012 IP
  17. thedark

thedark Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I did not said that they will give negative value if a site have links from duplicated article entries in article directories and other crappy stuff. They just pass less value. So if the ranking of a website was 70% of this type of links ( SEO campaign built only on automatic and pyramidal link schemes with no or duplicate content ), then this is why that website is appearing so low in rankings.

Their goal is not to penalize 50% of the websites in the world ( those who pay SEO "experts" to do the promotion job ). Their goal is to make the algorithm in a way that it automatically filter bad links or overoptimization ones and to give them less value. IF they just penalize websites, others will appear and so on, they will get nowhere.

thedark, May 29, 2012 IP
  18. brandama

brandama Member

Best Answers:
    Google has actually removed some of my sites from the SERPs for their keywords, so it is definitely a penalty or page/keyword specific banning. I was previously in the first position for my keyword for keyword.php, but now my privacy-policy.php ranks on the 5th page for the keyword while my keyword.php page is not even visible within 40 SERP's. All pages on my sites are still indexed, just not ranking in Google.

brandama, May 31, 2012 IP
  19. Ashley27

Ashley27 Peon

Best Answers:
    There are many website owner lost traffic and ranking after Google update their system. Even me, I lost traffic on my website so I don't think they will not penalize websites. What really needs to do is to create quality content and don't spam your link building. If you're doing this, no need to worry about penalizing your website.

Ashley27, May 31, 2012 IP
  20. rubeljoy

rubeljoy Peon

Best Answers:
    Not agree with your post. Your thinking is logical but however, Google really penalized thousands of websites.

rubeljoy, Jun 12, 2012 IP