1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I don't have a mobile-friendly website, what should I do?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by John Macklen, Jun 19, 2013.

Google has warned to keep websites, mobile-friendly, in its blog. What is your take on it? How much influence does your mobile site have on the regular one? I don't have a mobile-friendly website, what should I do?
    John Macklen, Jun 19, 2013 IP
  2. Revelations-Decoder

Revelations-Decoder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Make a responsive website :) >

https://developers.google.com/webmasters/smartphone-sites/details

As where Google say "This is Google's recommended configuration" in a big bold emphasis you can read between the lines of that, that Google are also saying "This is Google's preferred configuration" with an emphasis on the "recommendation or preference meaning that Google will favour such a configuration...
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
    Revelations-Decoder, Jun 19, 2013 IP
    Arick unirow likes this.
  3. webdeveloperindia

webdeveloperindia Member

Best Answers:
    Yes! ^ He is right You can make responsive site its a site designed with adapts the layout to the viewing environment by using fluid, proportion-based grids, flexible images, and CSS3 media queries, an extension of the @media rules. Or if you use WordPress then you can use WP mobile plugin. (its easy to install and FREE!)
    webdeveloperindia, Jun 19, 2013 IP
  4. deathshadow

deathshadow Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    What should you do? Depends on what you have. Without seeing the site in question it's hard to say, but if you don't have mobile, you probably don't have accessible either... did you grab some off the shelf template? did you start from having an artist draw up a goofy picture of a site in photoshop? Is it a fixed width? Are the font sizes and layout elastic?

If it's the typical 'sleaze out a fixed width' site with px metric fonts, using elements of perfect size matching heights and perfect widths, even without talking mobile it's an accessibility train wreck that quite literally should be thrown away and started over actually giving a flying purple fish about it being useful to visitors.

Meanwhile if it was developed from progressively enhancing semantic markup with a semi-fluid elastic layout, with an eye towards having layout elements auto-adjust properly to both content and user preferences, adding responsive layout to it for mobile is just the next logical evolutionary step. It is EVERYTHING accessibility experts have been talking about for FIFTEEN YEARS in things like the WCAG, which naturally most of the fly-by-night sleazeballs writing books about making websites cannot pull their heads out of 1997's rump to understand.

See the garbage vomited up by 90%+ of so called "professional" design and development companies... or that fills up scams and delusional idiocy like ThemeForest or TemplateMonster -- most of which wouldn't know accessibility from the hole in their rump.
    deathshadow, Jun 19, 2013 IP
  5. Keltichiro

Keltichiro Member

Best Answers:
    Make one/hire someone to make one. You have to have it, no other way around it.

You didn't specify much though - did you make your site yourself, or did you hire someone to make it? if you made it, you're going to have to start doing some reading on responsive websites...hopefully you won't have to re-code your site, but...if you're not familiar with responsive sites, you're probably going to have to re-code the sucker :\

But basically...you HAVE to have it. Out of every 25 people I run into, probably 1 or 2 have phones that are not smartphones. Darn near everyone has a laptop, a desktop, a tablet, a smartphone, or a combination of them. It's no longer just about desktop screens anymore.
    Keltichiro, Jun 22, 2013 IP
  6. wdstandards

wdstandards Peon

Best Answers:
    i don't know how much you know html/css....but u essentially need to convert to responsive design in order to have your website viewed in different devices.

create a sandbox for your site...and start changing width and heights of your css properties to percentages and/or em...
    wdstandards, Jun 23, 2013 IP
  7. robyries

robyries Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    at least try dudamobile, it integrate with google adsense.

I have try it and it works.
    robyries, Jun 24, 2013 IP
  8. moemediagroup

moemediagroup Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    If you have a wordpress site their is a plugin that you can use to convert your site into a mobile friendly version. With the rise of mobile searches if you want to compete then you need to get one asap. L et us know more about your site, so that we can access it better.
    moemediagroup, Jun 24, 2013 IP
  9. natyk

natyk Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    If you want to have mobile friendly site first check how she lookas at phone, do test here - very useful tool
    http://www.howtogomo.com/en-gb/d/test-your-site/#getmo-meter
    natyk, Jun 27, 2013 IP
  10. T.j. Detwiler

T.j. Detwiler Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you have wordpress site then go for wptouch plugin
    T.j. Detwiler, Jun 27, 2013 IP
  11. markjayswal

markjayswal Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I think you need to hire some professional for your need, this way you will get good service in time frame so that you can focus on your business.
    markjayswal, Jul 1, 2013 IP
  12. Kimberley112233

Kimberley112233 Peon

Best Answers:
    Adobe CS6 Dreamweaver is great for making websites mobile/tablet friendly
    Kimberley112233, Jul 1, 2013 IP
  13. carlosx2

carlosx2 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Dreamweaver is the way to go for a responsive site, but it is a lot of work to optimize the site. But keep in mind that people love to browse when they are doing nothing when they on their way to something. Do i would say make sure you have a mobile site.
    carlosx2, Jul 1, 2013 IP
  14. himanshu007

himanshu007 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I can do it for you if you want as i am working with twitter bootstrap from many years. I can show you my portfolio anytime.
    himanshu007, Jul 3, 2013 IP
  15. dpointdrm

dpointdrm Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    +1 on Revelations-Decoder suggestion for a responsive website.
    dpointdrm, Jul 15, 2013 IP
  16. sumarjan

sumarjan Member

Best Answers:
    hi bro, if you are using wordpress you can install mobile site plugin, or looking for themes with responsive design
    sumarjan, Jul 15, 2013 IP
  17. hensy

hensy Peon

Best Answers:
    You can yous responsive themes or redirect your site into mobile optimized. Are you looking to hire someone, if so let me know I can help you out. email me at quickmobosite at gmail . com
    hensy, Jul 15, 2013 IP
  18. OlegLola

OlegLola Active Member Premium Member

Best Answers:
    Hi John!
    Your question is of high topicality nowadays. Converting your existing website into a mobile friendly version is a less time- and cost-consuming option. Here are the advantages of making your website accessible for smartphones:
    • You'll appear in search engine database, which allows new users to find you;
    • With your mobile-friendly website, you simply update the content through your content management system. Programming changes will only affect the server, no updates for your customers are needed;
    • A native mobile application requires a separate version for each different phone platform. A mobile friendly website is viewable for almost any smartphone with a standard browser.

So, If you are still hesitating about the necessity of mobile site – don't. It is a great investment to your future results. Feel free to contact me for the details.
    OlegLola, Jul 16, 2013 IP
  19. petermarker

petermarker Peon

Best Answers:
    It all depends on your website's CMS, theme, framework, etc.

If the site is not overly complex and is based on Wordpress for example, look for a "responsive template."
    petermarker, Jul 18, 2013 IP
  20. Jackmay20

Jackmay20 Peon

Best Answers:
    You need to check out RESPONSIVEWEBMASTER.com! They specialize in responsive websites, and guarantee that your website will be seen at the optimum level on any device! Their prices for what they offer can not be compared
    Jackmay20, Jul 18, 2013 IP