1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I don't care about the PR update, do you?

Discussion in 'Google' started by DomainMagnate, Feb 19, 2006.

?

Do you care about the pr update?

1. screw it!

47 vote(s)
    26.4%
  2. hell i do!

131 vote(s)
    73.6%
  1. topchoice

topchoice Peon

Best Answers:
    more co-op weight that can only be a good thing

topchoice, Feb 19, 2006 IP
  2. amitpatel_3001

amitpatel_3001 Results Follow Patience

Best Answers:
    I love it more than my girl friend(thats 4 sure cos this is my 1st PR Update experiance)

amitpatel_3001, Feb 19, 2006 IP
  3. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    Hahahahaha amitpatel we count on you to shed some good humor! :) So what you are saying is that you are no longer a PR virgin? ;) Don't forget to tell nintendo you lost your virginity :D

LaCabra, Feb 19, 2006 IP
  4. alhoop

alhoop Peon

Best Answers:
    I really dont care much about PR anymore... I have come to believe that ranking and PR dont go hand in hand and that is from my personal experience. I am ranked above sites that has PR6 and 7 and I am only PR5.

It is all about how you SEO your pages and the quality of inbound links.

alhoop, Feb 19, 2006 IP
    LaCabra likes this.
  5. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    here here ! and "quality inbound links" doesn't mean high PR links

LaCabra, Feb 19, 2006 IP
  6. mnemtsas

mnemtsas Super Dud

Best Answers:
    I make a living online. PR means nothing too me. I don't sell links, don't use the coop and don't use LV. I very much dont care about the PR update.

mnemtsas, Feb 19, 2006 IP
    LaCabra and DomainMagnate like this.
  7. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    Bravooooooooo!!!! Another person who gets the picture and knows what they are talking about ! :)

LaCabra, Feb 19, 2006 IP
  8. janjalani

janjalani Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hell I do! :) But I am wondering when will be the next PR update? Because some of my sites were new and weren't included in this update! :p

janjalani, Feb 19, 2006 IP
  9. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    hahahahaha I think it'll start next week!!! ;) just look for another thread that says " PR Update now starting"

LaCabra, Feb 19, 2006 IP
  10. raven2424

raven2424 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ya i deffently like the more co-op weight :)

raven2424, Feb 19, 2006 IP
  11. gordonfreeman

gordonfreeman Peon

Best Answers:
    I do care about PR, both live PR and toolbar PR.

First of all, PR directly influences search results, it is a factor with quite some weight; you know it's true, even Google says it here:
    Google combines PageRank (our measure of a page's importance) with
    sophisticated text-matching techniques to display pages that are both 
    important and relevant to each search.
    Code (markup):
    That's why live PR is important. On the other hand, toolbar PR is again important for people who like to do link exchanges, link sales (trades overall), or have scripts related to toolbar pagerank. (Don't tell me you've never been refused for the reason that your PR is 0 -- which ussualy means that you are brand new on the market, and also, it would be of little to no importance to the person you're exchanging links)

gordonfreeman, Feb 19, 2006 IP
  12. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    Hey Gordon,

For discussion sake, you indicate that:
    Can you please provide us with documented evidence of this "quite some weight" from a credible source? I DO NOT see anything on the page you reference or your quote that talks about "factoring quite some weight" We know they factor it in serps, but to what level, nobody know except Google?

Well then can you elaborate or enlighten us as to why a PR0, relatively new sites are ranking above established PR4 or greater in the following illustration:

[​IMG]

And to devalue a PR0 site is rediculus and short sighted, the following resource will explain "linking" to you and eliminate any tainted thought you may have or misinformation you may been given in the past. Do you know who Dirk Johnson is? Have a read at what one of our other members posted it'll shed some light in links, pagerank and a whole bunch of good stuff. NO pie in the sky stuff either:

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=800

Enjoy the reading!
    :)

LaCabra, Feb 19, 2006 IP
  13. tesla

tesla Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I love PR updates. It is like the superbowl for webmasters. It is a chance to see how well you're doing on your sites. Not only can you make good money from advertising, if you get a really high ranking one day you can sell your site for big money like my space or new grounds.

tesla, Feb 19, 2006 IP
  14. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Sayles and George B. are correct.

1. Google has long said, correctly, that PR is but one of more than 100 factors involved in Google page ranking. It gets an inordinate amount of attention, which is why Google no longer updates public PR very frequently.

2. Anything that PR might mean is already factored into Google rankings before public (Toolbar or Directory) PR is updated so other than a change in the little green bar it isn't going to make any difference at all to you or your site other than cosmetic.

minstrel, Feb 19, 2006 IP
  15. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    Thanks Minstrel ... I'm just trying to help people understand that there is more to life than PR. There are alot of "mythunderstandings" out there that keep getting propagated and undue attention given to them. If anyone wants to make money concentrate on content and building links (traffic). Everything else will fall into place.

:)
    cheers
    Frank

LaCabra, Feb 19, 2006 IP
  16. Seiya

Seiya Peon

Best Answers:
    The thing is a lot of people use PR as the "build links" indication. Get me? :eek:

Seiya, Feb 19, 2006 IP
  17. LaCabra

LaCabra Goats R Us

Best Answers:
    Yes I understand. A link from a PR0 site is better than no link at all. I'd rather have 500 links from PR0 sites with high traffic than one link from a PR8 site (that you probably pay $50/month) with little traffic. At the end of the day I want to know I've made some money, not that I have a nice little green bar. ;)

LaCabra, Feb 19, 2006 IP
  18. minstrel

Best Answers:
    The thing is they shouldn't. It's misguided and misinformed. Which is why threads where people like George B. and Sayles post are important.

19. gordonfreeman

gordonfreeman Peon

Best Answers:
    To sayles:

Well, first of all, I said it has "quite some weight" due to the fact that Google mentions it everywhere,.. you may be right about being one of 100 or 1000, I still think it has more weight than some if not most of the other factors..

Your indication of the PR0 site appearing among PR4/5 websites simply shows that the other factors are more... optimized on the site in question, and the overall result places it on the first page (still you can see that the majority are PR4/5 sites.. which can again be an indication that PageRank is one of the big weight factors.. not just some < b > < /b >)

Also, I would rather have 500 PR0 links as well, however I'd still try to grab that PR8 for the long run.

POST EDIT: Here is something else from G's Help Center:
    Occasionally, when a particular website is the subject of public attention,
    other sites begin linking to it. This may elevate its importance as gauged by our 
    ranking software, which assigns a PageRank value based in part on who links to a 
    given page. Higher ranking in Google results may lead to more awareness, which may
    lead to more links, and so on.
    Code (markup):
    This is actualy logical.. since the search engine can't actualy "read", the giant's pagerank algorithm is many times an indication that the page has quality content in it.

POST EDIT: I want to mention that, at least for the time being, I am interested in getting traffic much more than my PR. However, much of this traffic may come from that tiny ussualy one digit number.

gordonfreeman, Feb 19, 2006 IP
  20. minstrel

Best Answers:
    PageRank Information