1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I didn't know where to ask this....but Google and bolding words in search results...

Discussion in 'Google' started by Forsh, Jul 6, 2016.

I know that words if words in your query match words in the results they get bolded. Most shorteners are illegible, but some aren't. It is pretty well known that shorteners are simply 301 redirects, so I am a bit puzzled why a word in my shortener gets bolded in the search results.

I really haven't found a solid answer on this.

My theory is that the bolding is not showing which words were used, but that system is totally independent and bolds word match, nothing more. I 'd be interested in knowing if anyone has documentation.

Forsh, Jul 6, 2016 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    can you provide a screenshot?

sarahk, Jul 6, 2016 IP
  3. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Whatya mean? Look at the search results for any keyword.

I don't really get what the OP is trying to say. Even though it may be a 301 redirect, Google is looking at the actual link with the keyword.

dcristo, Jul 6, 2016 IP
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Well d'uh. I just don't understand the specific instance that he's talking about. I'm not familiar with his site.

sarahk, Jul 6, 2016 IP
  5. dcristo

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Don't understand why you need to know the specific instance to understand the question??

dcristo, Jul 6, 2016 IP
  6. seoaceindia

seoaceindia Banned

Best Answers:
    simply when you search any word google highlight with bold those word and also related word in result.

seoaceindia, Jul 6, 2016 IP
  7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Because he's shown that he knows what the normal results look like but he's seeing something that isn't normal. I'm curious to see what it actually is instead of guessing.

sarahk, Jul 6, 2016 IP
  8. Forsh

Forsh Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Happy to show an example, I attached the Bolder Ready to Work program below.
    That is the shortener combined with a vanity URL Ready to Work Bolder with bolded URL shortener text in Google SERPS.jpg

Forsh, Jul 7, 2016 IP
  9. dcristo

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    What is confusing to you? The keyword is bolded in the URL, which is normal. The point that it's a redirect is irrelevant.

dcristo, Jul 8, 2016 IP
  10. Suraj Anjaana

Suraj Anjaana Banned

Best Answers:
    Are you using goo.gl for shortener? It can be also a reason because google know already what is URL and landing page about.

Suraj Anjaana, Jul 9, 2016 IP
  11. Forsh

Forsh Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That wasn't confusing, I know how all of that works. I just don't shorten links, because talkingbwith other webmasters about them, there only seems to be negativity about the shortener service owning your links.

I asked this same thing on Quora and the founder of bitly answered and explained that the organizations that provide that service have no plans to take anyone's links hostage.

The thing I am looking at is that the shortener does NOT carry carry hour link attributes. Your link attributes do not transfer, new link properties are given by the service doing the 301. I had that confirmed yesterday.

If your link before the 301 was nofollow, it does not carry the nofollow through the 301.

I assumed the bolding of the words in the URL were cosmetic and not an indicator of anything else, most URL shorteners I see being used have no discernable words, so this was the first time I have gotten to see a shortened URL, and the search output indicating that it sees the words. Again, I had a hunch, but with how fast things change with SEO it wouldn't suprise me if there was something happening behind the scenes.

Forsh, Jul 9, 2016 IP
  12. Geek Hibrid

Geek Hibrid Member

Best Answers:
    Yes your right, it's pretty much word match. Where are you testing this in the search engine?

Geek Hibrid, Jul 9, 2016 IP
  13. Forsh

Forsh Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just testing by checking on my browser, I don't seem to be able to find much information or URL shorteners. Do you know where I can find this sort of information, I don't see almost any documentation.

Forsh, Jul 11, 2016 IP
  14. KylieSweet

KylieSweet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Its simply a normal scenario in every search query. When the user input its query then the search engine will provide the related results in which similar or exact in phrase.

KylieSweet, Jul 13, 2016 IP
  15. Suraj Anjaana

Suraj Anjaana Banned

Best Answers:
    Absolutely right. Shortner link will get your credit to his own website for example if you are using goo.gl as shortner then all traffics will come first to this site and then this site will redirect to your website. So its very hard to know that from where you are getting traffics and this is not good if you want to become a successful business man online or a web masters.

About drawback of tiny or shortner URL you should read once http://www.seomanualsubmission.com/blog/dangers-of-shortened-urls-for-analytics/

Suraj Anjaana, Jul 21, 2016 IP