1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I did not receive any response to my submission to DMOZ

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by ellenc71, Apr 5, 2010.

I checked there and even thouse big competitors are not listed. figured it is just hard in nature to be listed on DMOZ.

By the way, i did not even find the appropriate categories.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2010
    ellenc71, Apr 5, 2010 IP
  2. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    After you suggested your site, did you get the "thank you for your suggestion" screen? What sort of response in addition to that where you expecting? How much are you paying for this service that you are expecting?

BTW - if its the site in your profile, then assume it got rejected. Its not listable.

Agent000, Apr 6, 2010 IP
  3. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It's a FREE service, remember? So that question was a bit silly don't ya think?

When you apply to be an editor, they tell you that sometimes things go wrong and that you should try again. I wonder how it is that the site suggestion is flawless while the editor application process is sooooo flawed.

Don't worry about that... according to the editors here it does not matter where you submit, if an editor finds it in the wrong category they will happily move it to a better one! (though be warned the ADD pages suggests it will be deleted, so go figure)

Qryztufre, Apr 6, 2010 IP
  4. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Please quote us accurately instead of making up your own version. We consistently say it is important to find the correct category, because it saves editor time and it means that sites have to wait twice for an editor to choose to review them. So when it can take years for the first review it can take some more years for the second review. But we have also consistently said that sites submitted to the wrong category will be moved, but that can cause, as I said earlier, even more time to elapse before it gets a review for a possible listing.

Anonymously, Apr 7, 2010 IP
  5. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    It's ALL about how you see it versus the way the world seems it... remember the GUIDELINES SAY IT WILL BE REJECTED rather then moved, so what is the difference in me making up things and YOU making them up? I'm just regurgitating the vomit you keep spewing!

Qryztufre, Apr 7, 2010 IP
  6. hadinih

hadinih Member

Best Answers:
    I also still waiting... more than 3 weeks now :(

hadinih, May 21, 2010 IP
  7. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm amused to find that after a year away from this forum, the same old names are spreading the same old misinformation. ;)
    It is true that the submission guidelines repeatedly misquoted by Q say that
    but the ones that ODP editors use when actually reviewing sites say nothing of the sort.

makrhod, May 21, 2010 IP
  8. Agent000

Best Answers:
    If its the site in your signature, hope you not holding your breath waiting as its probably not going to be listed.

Agent000, May 21, 2010 IP
  9. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA yeah, and welcome back!

The misinformation I am giving comes straight from the horses mouth, so if it's wrong, petition to have it changed! If I am spreading misinformation by quoting the exact page the submitter is supposed to read, then just what is the ODP doing?

And you are correct, the exact wording is: Sites submitted to inappropriate or unrelated categories may be rejected or removed.

But if you look at what the editors have been saying as of late, you may find there is NO may! They are saying that is WILL NOT BE rejected. So again... who is the one with the misinformation? Me? Quoting the page submitters are supposed to read, or the editors completely contradicting said page found on the ODP itself?

That has NOTHING to do with the submitter, not according to the editors that have been posting as of late, as they have recently said that the only page the submitter needs to read is the ADD page. And again, if the ADD page is wrong, who is the one with the misinformation?

I repeat, if I am wrong, then so is the ODP...

though, heh... yeah, lets go by what the editor guidelines say shall we? Take deep links for example :rolleyes: If we are going by the editor guidelines for submissions then by rights, submitting deep links is more then fine... right?

Qryztufre, May 21, 2010 IP
  10. Serious Workers

Serious Workers Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, some times this happens as because it is totally FREE service.

Serious Workers, May 21, 2010 IP
  11. digivisits

digivisits Guest

Best Answers:
    I still submit to DMOZ just to do it with no real expectation anymore that I will get in. I read an article recently from an executive at Google who basically said that DMOZ is having less impact for rankings. Unfortunately I don't remember where I saw it otherwise I would share it. The point of the article was to address what people are starting to say about DMOZ which is that it is corrupt. That may be a rather harsh statement but basically everybody is complaining about not getting in anymore. It seems that the feeling is that the editors are only including their own sites and their buddies sites. I don't think those are new feelings though.

digivisits, May 22, 2010 IP
  12. Agent000

Best Answers:
    I don't believe you. I think you are making this up. You are going to have to find that article written by an "executive at Google". If an exec at Google really said that or wrote that it would be BIG news....

Agent000, May 22, 2010 IP
  13. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Probably referring to this

CReed, May 22, 2010 IP
  14. Agent000

Best Answers:
    But he did not say what digivisits alleges.

Anonymously likes this.
  15. whitehuskey

whitehuskey Peon

Best Answers:
    i haven't recieve a response for a years :(

whitehuskey, May 22, 2010 IP
  16. Agent000

Best Answers:
    what sort of response were you expecting?

17. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    While it may not substantiate their claim, I can't think of anything else they could be referring to.

CReed, May 23, 2010 IP
  18. Agent000

Best Answers:
    If someone from Google really said that, it would be big news. We would all know about it.

Agent000, May 23, 2010 IP
  19. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Everybody is always an interesting word. From what I see it means every web owner who cannot get their site listed, either quickly or at all. The reason they want a listing has nothing to do with the directory or its aims and ambitions, but to try and curry favour with Google. So we find that not only do web masters try and call the directory corrupt they try and directly contact editors and cause problems for them, Snooks wrote
    http://www.v7n.com/forums/web-direc...or-corruption-caught-quickly.html#post1387652.

Let me just repeat
    DMOZ is not interested in any value that a listing will give to a site
    DMOZ editors have often said on here that it can take from a few days to a few YEARS to get a site reviewed for a possible listing. (It also says DON'T resubmit)
    DMOZ editors have the job of building categories for surfers we are not a listing service for site owners. If you want a listing service there are hundreds of free directories and about as many paid ones.
    The use of DMOZ material is free for anyone to use, DMOZ have no control or influence over how, where or when it is used particularly how Google use it.
    Because they are not your aims and objectives, because DMOZ does not work the way you want them to do you call us corrupt. Can I suggest that is corruption in itself and seeking to selfishly manipulate DMOZ. But it won't work, neither will abusing editors in the way Snooks has been abused.

Anonymously, May 23, 2010 IP
  20. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    Well, they did remove the suggestion for adding your site to DMOZ from their help files... that certainly should be taken as an indicator that it's losing impact. Was it big news when it happened? No, not really.... most people lost interest in the ODP years ago.

Qryztufre, May 23, 2010 IP