1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I can't connect to my vps using putty...

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by elieobeid7, Apr 25, 2011.

I can't connect to mys server using putty ssh connection, i type root it says access denied then it asks for the password, I type it, nothing happens, I tried other ssh clients like tunnelier, I can login using them but when i type the password it takes a really really long time to login and every time I type a command, I have to wait years for it to be executed, and sometimes it disconnects, last month I had a slower internet connectionfrom another provider and a cheap vps and it used to connect so fast, today i have a faster internet connection from my current provider and a better vps and it does what it does... I disabled the avg firewall and i have the same result...I asked my american partner to try and connect through putty and everything is fine when he tries it, even my hosting company tell me that everything is find and believe them.

So is there anyway for me to fix it? Is my router blocking putty? should i configure it? Does my current internet provider have something to do with it? Could I fix it because my provider doesn't anything about these stuff so he will not be able to help. I'm using a centos 5 32 bit by the way.

I just have tried to login using my brother's pc, it says server blocked connection or something like thay, we use the same internet.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
    elieobeid7, Apr 25, 2011 IP
  2. VinCme

VinCme Active Member

Best Answers:
    It might be caused by either your internet connection is unstable, or your vps is overloaded. First of all, do you have any control panel come with the VPS? (this control panel should be able to do reboot), if yes, please try to reboot and wait or 2-4 minutes before reconnecting via SSH.

If it's not working, then try to access it via SSH console (should be able to be done via control panel too). May I know what virtualization do you use for this VPS? CloseVZ(Virtuozzo) / OpenVZ / Xen / KVM ?

VinCme, Apr 25, 2011 IP
  3. saqib889

saqib889 Peon

Best Answers:
    if the comman execute time is late then it must be overloaded.

or tell me if you can login to server via java console?

also look at the load if you've cpanel and check apache status

saqib889, Apr 25, 2011 IP
  4. Intermg

Intermg Active Member

Best Answers:
    Are you sure SSH access is enabled on your VPS? Or, maybe a non-standard port is used? Open up Command Prompt and type in the following: "telnet VPSaddress 22", where "VPSaddress" is either your VPS IP address or a domain name.

Intermg, Apr 25, 2011 IP
  5. saqib889

saqib889 Peon

Best Answers:
    yes make sure that ports are opened

saqib889, Apr 25, 2011 IP
  6. elieobeid7

elieobeid7 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    okay i typed that, it says: SSH-2.0-openSSH_4.3

now what? does it mean that it's open?

after a minute it says : connection to host lost

elieobeid7, Apr 26, 2011 IP
  7. VinCme

VinCme Active Member

Best Answers:
    Dear, please be specific and clear with the explanations or else it will be hard to assist you, what did you do and where did you receive those "SSH-2.0-openSSH_4.3" message ?

VinCme, Apr 26, 2011 IP
  8. elieobeid7

elieobeid7 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    there's a guy Intermg who said

Open up Command Prompt and type in the following: "telnet VPSaddress 22", where "VPSaddress" is either your VPS IP address or a domain name.

so i did what he said and i replied to him saying

okay i typed that, it says: SSH-2.0-openSSH_4.3

now what? does it mean that it's open?

after a minute it says : connection to lost

-------------------------

now for your question sir VinCME: I don't have a cpanel installed, now i have installed kloxo, I am a costumer at micohosting.com I use the linux vps which costs 21$ the vps is perfect, my friends are able to login but not me, so it's not the vps, that's what i think....I'll try java consol and I'll let u know but i just don't understand why I'm not able to use ssh clients............ i think the problem is my internet connection but i can't figure it out.........what could possibly go wrong with my internet connection that would prevent me from using any ssh client? or maybe my router?

9. VinCme

VinCme Active Member

Best Answers:
    Then I think it is either your internet connection is unstable or yes, there is probably firewall that is blocking your access (have you already tried to whitelist putty inside your firewall configuration?). Router is very unlikely to be the problem here.

And I'm not referring to cPanel/DirectAdmin/Kloxo, what I mean is a control panel to reboot, shutdown, boot, do ssh console to your vps like SolusVM/VePortal/HyperVM etc.

VinCme, Apr 26, 2011 IP
  10. elieobeid7

elieobeid7 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I'm using veportal and I have already tried to disable my avg internet security firewall and tried putty, I'm on xp pro, and my windows firewall is always turned off lol, i had the same result, if my internet connection is unstable, is there anything I could do to fix it? coz i can't change the provider soon, and if i tell him to fix the ssh problem, he won't have any idea what ssh is, the guy only knows the basics to give you the internet, i bet he doesn't know what html is.
    I though that I've done something wrong with putty settings, but it's obviously not the case since I tried 2 other ssh clients lol

11. Intermg

Intermg Active Member

Best Answers:
    This means the port is open and SSH is running on your host, so you definitely should be able to log in with PuTTY or any other SSH client. If you're still having difficulties, please feel free to hit me up, and I will take a closer look into this issue and will help you out (at no charge, of course!:))

Intermg, Apr 26, 2011 IP
  12. dareknyght

dareknyght Banned

Best Answers:
    What is your VPS Connection Speed? (NOT your PCs internet connection)
    There is one more possibility!
    The server you are having your VPS on (your VPS provider's server) is too overloaded (full RAM, CPU, Bandwidth usage) that it is suffering from slow speed as you said it takes alot of time to login from other SSH clients!
    Contact your VPS provider!

dareknyght, May 11, 2011 IP
  13. elieobeid7

elieobeid7 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I did lol, it works with them lol !!! I am able now to connect through Polyscript probit, tunnelier and my java client in the cpanel but putty says : root access denied, probit is nice but not free and I can't find the serial number to hack it and I won't pay to get it so I won't be able to use it once the free trial ends.

I don't wanna go to cpanel each time I wanna use ssh...

I was reading a thread on stockoverflow.com, someone was asking what is the best ssh client....there was about 30 answers, about 23 of them saying putty, two of the guys said:

who says that tunnelier is not the best client, he has certainly not try it. I was curious, I googled, and I found that, it's free, it's brilliant, not only an ssh client, it is also sftp client and has many options, now I say too:

who says that tunnelier is not the best client, he has certainly not try it!

elieobeid7, May 12, 2011 IP