1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I built a search engine and need your advise badly. Be Honest!

Discussion in 'All Other Search Engines' started by eyezshine, Jun 8, 2008.

1. eyezshine

eyezshine Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah there is a little bug in my submission form script I still need to work out.

But if you submit and you get an error then go back and submit again it should work for you.

The reason it happens is because the database for that keyword you are submitting to has not been created yet. So it errors after the script creates the database. Then when you submit again, the database is already there and it accepts your submission.

I have been working on a fix for this all day. I almost have to rewrite the entire script so it may take a while before this is fixed.

eyezshine, Jul 1, 2008 IP
  2. FYI

FYI Member

Best Answers:
    So if a page is reported and is un-spammed by you it can NEVER be reported again? What if a site is un-spammed and then the site is sold to a new owner who then puts up a spammy site? Or what if someone deliberately submits what looks to be a good site, reports it as spam so that it will be un-spammed then quickly changes the site to their spammy MFA page? How would you deal with that. It may seem easy now but I think you will be overwhelmed by false spam reports if you got traffic.

FYI, Jul 3, 2008 IP
  3. eyezshine

eyezshine Active Member

Best Answers:
    FYI,

I'm way ahead of you on that one. I already fixed that problem a while back when I realized my mistake. So now you can report sites as spam even after they have been un-spammed.

So maybe I will give sites a boost in the rankings when they are un-spammed? That'll teach people to spam a good site. HAHAHA! I'm telling you, it's easy to check the spam reports because they are 99% accurate.

Occasionally I get the random webmasters that click the spam link to let me know that their website is not spam, not knowing they are blocking their site from showing in the results until I un-spam it. HAHA!

People are too funny sometimes.

eyezshine, Jul 3, 2008 IP
  4. deleted

deleted Banned

Best Answers:
    good enough! But I can't see my site and blogs on every search!!!

deleted, Jul 3, 2008 IP
  5. vitalbusiness

vitalbusiness Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice. Do you provide search engines for other websites? I am going to PM you my website. I would like to place a small search engine on it. The website is related to classified ads, so it is important that visitors will be able to search through the ads.

vitalbusiness, Jul 3, 2008 IP
  6. eyezshine

eyezshine Active Member

Best Answers:
    VitalBusiness,

I do not offer a site search feature yet but I may one day. I can install a 3rd party site search engine on your site maybe. It depends on your platform, wether you use Mysql or not etc..

eyezshine, Jul 3, 2008 IP
  7. chtdatweb

chtdatweb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, i just had to post this, i have not read through the whole thread yet, i will do that now.

I thought just for the crack i would see where i was ranked in your search engine for cheap internet calls and i am ranked 1st & 2nd PMSL :D:D:D just for that pure fact i love it already. Ok, thats me done gonna go read the whole thing.

chtdatweb, Jul 3, 2008 IP
  8. desilator

desilator Peon

Best Answers:
    I like the way it all looks except for the fireworks on the main page.. dont think they should be present.

desilator, Jul 3, 2008 IP
  9. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Nice and simple site. I like the subsearch functionality [Jokes, lyrics]

Ditto on the fireworks. Uninteresting and unneeded.

lightless, Jul 4, 2008 IP
  10. eyezshine

eyezshine Active Member

Best Answers:
    It was the 4th of july and I wanted to see fireworks. HAHAHA! Sorry. Anyway, thanks for the compliments!

Let me know if you have any other ideas for the site. I will be working on it all the time taking your suggestions into consideration so basically it's going to be your ideas that build the design and functionality of vmgo.com

I really want to keep it webmaster friendly so that you will be able to get traffic quickly and easily. Even new sites can instantly recieve traffic as soon as they submit their pages to it.

Now all we need is promotions. Any help would be appreciated. PM me with any promotion ideas you may have and I'll see if I can work out something with you in return?

eyezshine, Jul 5, 2008 IP
  11. TitanT30

TitanT30 Peon

Best Answers:
    It looks ok. I think you need a better logo and a better design like live.com's.

TitanT30, Jul 5, 2008 IP
  12. Mark Wegener

Mark Wegener Peon

Best Answers:
    why do you built a search engine to satisfy webmasters instead of search users?

Mark Wegener, Jul 5, 2008 IP
  13. eyezshine

eyezshine Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, the simple answer is because I am a webmaster and I am also a searcher so I wanted to build an engine that was easy for both searchers and webmasters to benefit from.

Searchers benefit because the results keep getting better all the time.

Webmasters benefit because they can get a website indexed for any keyword they want instantly without waiting.

I have thought about this for maybe 7 years now and began building vmgo.com around 2-3 years ago. It's been a long ongoing project for me and I am learning more every day by seeing how users interact with it. Most users simply search and click. Some actually begin organizing the results for the keyword they searched on by voting etc..

I myself like to see what people searched for and then do the same search and organize the results by the way I feel they should be ranked which are the most helpful pages that are exactly what the keyword is about first and then I demote all the pages that have nothing to do with the keyword at all but mention the keyword briefly on their page. Then I report all the spam pages that have nothing to do with the keyword at all. It only takes a few minutes per keyword.

Then the next time someone searches for that keyword they find exactly what they were looking for.

14. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I wasn't impressed with the results at all..
    I search "vbulletin setup" which I pretty much own in google, msn and yahoo
    and my site only comes up 2 times on that page..lol

good luck, but I rate this script a 2/10

Brandon Sheley, Jul 5, 2008 IP
  15. eyezshine

eyezshine Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, well within 20 seconds I clicked a couple thumbs up's and now your site is #1 and #2.
    http://www.vmgo.com/vu/vbulletin+setup.html

What do you have to say to that Mr. Loco.m? HAHAHA!

16. Mark Wegener

Mark Wegener Peon

Best Answers:
    but due to the friction between webmasters and searchers with search engines as their playground, i may assume you are not targeting more then a few hundred/thousand searchers a day as most don't like to organize the results before using them.

Mark Wegener, Jul 6, 2008 IP
  17. eyezshine

eyezshine Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, most don't even understand the concept at all and don't care. They just want to find what they searched for and thats it. But that's what is cool about it, every time they find what they wanted they make it even better for the next person without even knowing they did anything.

Right now it's in the training stages for millions of key phrases but it gets better all the time. And sinse webmasters can submit to the keywords or phrases they choose, it will deliver super targeted traffic to the pages you submit.

Eventually you will be able to track which keywords send you the best traffic and you can easily recieve qualified leads and sales etc... It will gain popularity eventually and when it does it'll be a very good place to search and advertise for free.

eyezshine, Jul 6, 2008 IP
  18. pc_user

pc_user Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This is just my opinion so please don't take it personal. I myself value constructive criticism as you can work with it. Sometimes people try so hard to be all things to all people. Success is about focus and execution of a goal.

* The results page seems very cluttered.

* The banner kills the search flow.

* Your logo should be clickable, especially on the results page.

* Your headers and footers are not uniform.

* While I respect religion, it has no place online. The Jesus tag may offend people.

* Drop the external links on the top. I am not sure if they are your sites but you got the visitor to your site, keep them there.

* the instant index is a very cool idea but may be problematic for spam. I get that you try to control that with the thumbs up or thumbs down which is a good idea but may yield issues in the future.

Hope this helps.

pc_user, Jul 12, 2008 IP
  19. joel1st

joel1st Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hehe, I like the search engine.. What I found funny was.. I was no.1 for web design yet, my site www.explosivewebdesign.com wasn't in the top two pages for Explosive web design.

I'm not complaining.. no1. for web design is the best I've ever gotten :p

Oh and just a suggestion.. maybe make it that someone can only 'thumbs up' or 'thumbs down' a specific site once from an ip and then they have to wait to thumbs up or down one day (stopping people from thumbing down everyone elses sites)..

joel1st, Jul 12, 2008 IP
  20. uploas

uploas Peon

Best Answers:
    nice results.. better than MSN for sure.
    It's a little bit slowly..
    I like that "control search results".
    Good luck!

uploas, Jul 12, 2008 IP