1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I built a search engine and need your advise badly. Be Honest!

Discussion in 'All Other Search Engines' started by eyezshine, Jun 8, 2008.

1. EGS

EGS Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Slow searching, but fast page loading speed to main page.
    Consider using AJAX so people will see a "loading" or something prompt so it won't seem as slow.

What search feed are you using? I like your site's content/concept.
    Can I buy a link? PM me.

EGS, Jun 21, 2008 IP
  2. seoalan

seoalan Peon

Best Answers:
    I think page that showz search result is bit goddy...it showz too much info at a time..

seoalan, Jun 21, 2008 IP
  3. catapop

catapop Peon

Best Answers:
    the logo is to big. I don't like the top menu. make it smaller.
    the search area must be on the top of the results. delete the free games area.
    You can make a preview of the site

catapop, Jun 22, 2008 IP
  4. eyezshine

eyezshine Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ok, The search speed should be way faster now and I organized the layout of the results pages so they are not so "Busy looking".

Please let me know how everything looks now.

eyezshine, Jun 23, 2008 IP
  5. eyezshine

eyezshine Active Member

Best Answers:
    Anyone want to comment on the new layout and design? Please let me know.

eyezshine, Jun 26, 2008 IP
  6. risoknop

risoknop Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I tried few searches and the results weren't very relevant to what I was looking for. On the other hand, Google got me exactly what I needed. You need to work on that if you want it to ever become successful.

I understand it is difficult to deliver the most relevant search results without such huge web page databases and infrastructure like Google or MSN have. But that is the most important factor for search engine. And without relevant search results, people won't use your SE.

risoknop, Jun 26, 2008 IP
  7. eyezshine

eyezshine Active Member

Best Answers:
    That's the thing though, I built it to learn from you. That is what the thumbs up and down are for. I know it has bad results now. But the cool part is the results get better and better everytime someone searches and finds what they are looking for. Then the most visited links move up in the results giving users what they want every time.

One day it'll catch on and the results will become awesome because of alot of use. The spam reports are dead on accurate from people and I get them every day. The database is being cleaned constantly by people searching and most of them don't even realize they are doing anything at all. But they are inadvertantly making the results better for others every second of every day.

It is automatically getting better all the time.

eyezshine, Jun 26, 2008 IP
  8. risoknop

risoknop Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think that's a good concept for search engine. When your website becomes popular sometimes in the future, people will come and start "thumbing up" their websites and "thumbing down" competition. It will be very easy to exploit this and it might become just a matter of how many cheap poeple from third world countries you'll pay few bucks to come there and promote your website. Thus, search results will become even more skewed. Think about it.

risoknop, Jun 26, 2008 IP
  9. eyezshine

eyezshine Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have thought about it. What is wrong with thumbing down a competitors website and thumbing yours up? If you got a good website as good as your competitors site then your site has every right to be #1 as your competitor. Right?

Well then I say let people decide who is the best. If your site is spam and you vote it to the top, someone will report it as spam like they do every day and then I check it out and see if it is spam. If it is spam then I simply do nothing. That url is blocked from ranking or ever being submitted to that keyword ever again.

It is very simple stuff. Spam reports are very accurate and very simple for me to check out so I am not worried at all about it.

Sure people can game it all they want but if their site is spam it will get reported. If it is not spam, who cares if it is #1 or not? Not everyone can be #1 and if a company wants to hire people to vote their sites to the top then more power to them. If they can afford to pay people to do that then I say they are a good website and should be #1.

What is wrong with that? Game away, I say..

The cool part is that you can be #1 if you want to be. For any keyword you like. You can promote any affiliate program you like. No more trading links or buying links! No more PR! Just submit a page and vote it to the top and make money. No more getting banned or penalized because you have something wrong with your site. No more ranking poorly because your site is new or has flash. You can build a new site today and be ranking #1 for all the keywords you choose tomorrow. Immagine the possibilities!

If it's not what people are searching for, it gets reported as spam and that's it. Simple stuff.

Man, if I was you, I would be promoting a search engine like this like crazy! Not complaning about people gaming the system.

I have studied the major search engines for 9 years now and I know their flaws and I designed my search engine exactly the way it is trying to solve those flaws.

The biggest flaws I seen were slow indexing and very slow ranking. Well, Vmgo.com has instant ranking and instant indexing. Just submit a page from your site and vote it to the top.

Spam was the next problem. You can try to create algorythms to fight it automatically or you can ask people to help you. People are way smarter than computers so I use people power. I realized that when google would impliment a new spam fighting algo, Threads would pop up all over the place in forums from legitiment websites getting banned yet spam would remain in the index. My method uses people to bring only the spam to my attention and then I check it out. So "Good" pages don't get banned.

Speed was a concern for me too. I tried alot of different methods when creating my engine and finally found the fastest method. This engine is very fast. and easily scaleable.

Being a webmaster myself, I thought about all the things I would like. And fast indexing and ranking were #1 for me. Sure google and others have spiders that waste alot of bandwidth and have crashed my server a few times and their spiders make it easier on us because we don't have to submit each page from our sites but they have no guarantees of indexing or where you will rank and it takes months to rank well in any of them.

If vmgo.com Had the traffic google had, you would be happy that you can vote a page to the top.

eyezshine, Jun 30, 2008 IP
  10. joel1st

joel1st Active Member

Best Answers:
    I've just got a question.. let's say the search engine became really popular.. could you imagine how many spam reports you would get? so many it's not funny.. probably a few hundred a second.. You'd have to have thousands of people employed just to look through spam? I'm not trying to be critical but that's something that came to mind.

joel1st, Jul 1, 2008 IP
  11. kartik786

kartik786 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    the site is down

kartik786, Jul 1, 2008 IP
  12. CaffinePhil

CaffinePhil Banned

Best Answers:
    I really like it. However since myhomepagefriends are currently paying me to search I don't think i'll be changing just yet ;)

CaffinePhil, Jul 1, 2008 IP
  13. Luke Beale

Luke Beale Peon

Best Answers:
    I like the design that is being made for you.

Any idea when it will be online?

Would love to see it.

Luke Beale, Jul 1, 2008 IP
  14. tankard

tankard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's a great idea. Have you estimated/researched on your competition? How many other search engines do the same thing? I mean voting and all that stuff.

tankard, Jul 1, 2008 IP
  15. skypeace

skypeace Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The logo is nice. Everything is simple and nice. However the favicon looks horrible and does not match the color scheme and also center the nav bar. Good Luck!

Edit: The way the results turn up with the vids and random site rocks, but the color to the right must also be blue!

skypeace, Jul 1, 2008 IP
  16. eyezshine

eyezshine Active Member

Best Answers:
    There are other sites that do the same thing but they make you sign up and log in and you can only change the results under your account so you are the only one who sees the changes.

They're cool but signing up is a pain and they get their results from one of the major search engines so it's basically the same.

So, there really is not any other engine doing exactly what I am doing.

eyezshine, Jul 1, 2008 IP
  17. eyezshine

eyezshine Active Member

Best Answers:
    The color on the right is now light lavendar. Hows it look now.

18. NoveltyGroupLLC

NoveltyGroupLLC Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice search engine! Hopefully it'll give Google (aka The Powers That Be) a good run for their money....

Did you write your own spider program or did you use an open source one? I'm curious because I'd like to create my own spider for data mining purposes.... thanks!

NoveltyGroupLLC, Jul 1, 2008 IP
  19. eyezshine

eyezshine Active Member

Best Answers:
    The spider I use is very simple and wouldn't work for what you need. But yes I wrote the spider myself using examples I found on the web for free. Then I made it suit my purpose for what I need it for.

But it is not a "Bot" that travels around the web indexing pages. It only spiders a page that is being submitted and is only used for helping you fill out the submission form faster by gathering info from your meta tags and text from the page you are submitting.

It's really simple stuff.

20. EmKim

EmKim Peon

Best Answers:
    Very nice site. However, I've got some error while trying to submit url.

After clicking on spider url/page and then the submit button, I received an error on "title". Couldn't remember what exactly it was but i think it says invalid title..When i checked the form, there is no title field.

EmKim, Jul 1, 2008 IP