1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I am looking to build a custom google map using google api

Discussion in 'Google API' started by SEOTeam, Aug 22, 2006.

1. fb-guy

fb-guy Peon

Best Answers:
    Very nice. Thanks for that. What were your trade-off decisions on whether to build your own vs. a service provider? Do you think your maps are faster than a hosted solution?

One other question. I think your graphics in the top banner are very good. Nice photos, not too fast or intrusive. Very good.

Can you share how you built them? Is it an annimated gif, flash, etc?

Thanks for the insight.
    FB

fb-guy, Mar 13, 2007 IP
  2. fb-guy

fb-guy Peon

Best Answers:
    One more question. Does anyone have advice on the best way to publicize a new map? The map we built has broad appeal, but how to you get people to see it?
    FB

fb-guy, Mar 13, 2007 IP
  3. masoko2

masoko2 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the kind words :)
    For the image slide I use a flash applet that reads the image set from xml file.
    you can find the files needed here http://downloads.gscripts.net/ the file is called flashslide.zip

masoko2, Mar 16, 2007 IP
  4. fb-guy

fb-guy Peon

Best Answers:
    I see. I'm a beginner at this, so sorry about the basic questions. I loaded flashside.zip, and see that there images, the xml file and the .fla file. In order to add this type of annimation of to a web page, I would created a couple of images, and modify the flash applet using Flash, then add the .fla file and the right links to the images on my web page. Roughly right? How would I edit the .xml file?

Also, I cannot get slideshow_as1.fla to open with Flash. I have MX2004 on Mac.

Thanks.
    FB

fb-guy, Mar 17, 2007 IP
  5. masoko2

masoko2 Peon

Best Answers:
    the xml file is a text file, in this file you specify which images to show in the flash. You don't need the fla file. All you need to to is to embed the swf in the header put the pics that you want to rotate and put them in the xml file using notepade or some mac text editor :)

This is the content of the xml file
    <!--
    'timer' :: number of seconds between each image transition
    'order' :: how you want your images displayed. choose either 'sequential' or 'random'
    'looping' :: if the slide show is in sequential mode, this stops the show at the last image (use 'yes' for looping, 'no' for not)
    'fadeTime' :: velocity of image crossfade. Increment for faster fades, decrement for slower. Approximately equal to seconds.
    'xpos' :: _x position of all loaded clips (0 is default)
    'ypos' :: _y position of all loaded clips (0 is default)
    -->
    <gallery timer="5" order="sequential" fadetime="5" looping="yes" xpos="228" ypos="78"> - from here you define the fadetime etc.
    <image path="img/img6.jpg"/> - change these with you photos
    <image path="img/img5.jpg"/>
    <image path="img/img3.jpg"/>
    <image path="img/img2.jpg"/>
    <image path="img/img1.jpg"/>
    <image path="img/img7.jpg"/>
    </gallery>

masoko2, Mar 19, 2007 IP
  6. nsc

nsc Guest

Best Answers:
    I am looking to build a Google Maps API application that lets users add their own locations

nsc, Mar 19, 2007 IP
  7. fb-guy

fb-guy Peon

Best Answers:
    You can do that through http://www.communitywalk.com/. We built our map through them and are happy with the result. Users can register and add their own locations.
    FB

fb-guy, Mar 30, 2007 IP