1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I am getting too much spam

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by Professional Dude, Nov 17, 2007.

1. Bustergutts

Bustergutts Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

I had same problems with people from 2 countries Senegal and Côte d'Ivoire. It is not on my forum but on my main site. I had no choice other than blocking the country ip range from my hosting admin panel.

If you record all users ip and check it, More likely you will find most of the spam is comming from one or two countries. The worst case scenario, Check and see whether you get any real visitors from these countries If not block the country range ip from your hosting admin panel.

So far so good. It works for me.

Good Luck

:):):)

Bustergutts, Nov 24, 2007 IP
  2. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Mybb doesn't have the spam problems associated with BOTH VB and phpbb. Bot programmer haven't bothered to incorporate the mybb system into their captcha breaking routines.

Captcha is broken and hacked by spammers for VB, Phpbb, IPB and SMF.

Banning emails is useless. Banning IPs is useless too. Both of those are in endless supply to spammers. Ban an IP or Email and they just another one.

RectangleMan, Nov 25, 2007 IP
  3. WatchOut

WatchOut Guest

Best Answers:
    RectangleMan, I don't agree with you whilst MyBB may have a very small amount of spam issues it will in the near future, you have my word on that.

vB 3.7.0 will be released in a couple of days, and they've made a CAPTCHA system that allows you as an administrator to modify and make custom CAPTCHA fields (Q&A fields) which are unbreakable. As you are allowed to make your own custom questions, and the only way to bypass this would be to do it the manual way.

Regards,
    Meti

WatchOut, Nov 25, 2007 IP
  4. Professional Dude

Professional Dude Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Okay, guys, I checked MyBB's website and i think they are better than phpbb because the human question and other stuff..should i change to MyBB ? has anyone use it before>

Professional Dude, Nov 25, 2007 IP
  5. WatchOut

WatchOut Guest

Best Answers:
    I've used it in my past and it's basically a mix of vB/IPB, however I believe there are lack of mods and templates, one of the reason I converted my old board to phpBB and then to vB.

Regards,
    Meti

6. funforums

funforums Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think you should stay on phpBB, and the reason is.. There are lot of mods in phpbb which can be available from lot of websites or directly from phpbb. Secondly its FREE. considering other boards like myBB, punBB, SMF .. i don't like them, because they have few amount of mods, not a good ACP etc etc..

If your forum is big, and making healthy cash switch your forum to vBulletin or IPB if you can afford this :)

This is what i want to say, And btw P.Dude, Did you try my method which i posted above ? :)

- Imran

funforums, Nov 25, 2007 IP
  7. WatchOut

WatchOut Guest

Best Answers:
    I agree with funforums, there's a huge amount of mods/templates available for phpBB, one of the reasons why it still is the best free platform. However, I manage vB forums but phpBB is definitely my 2nd choice.

Regards,
    Meti

8. Professional Dude

Best Answers:
    i tried the way you suggessted, but spammers have alot more domains and even some of them use hotmail... so it kind of not possible to block every single domain!! even though i delete the spammer profiles but they register again the next day with a new spam post!

IPB and Vbulleton are probably the best but i am not going for them yet..

myBB is not quite famous and yea they don't have lots of mods but still there is nothing wrong in trying them out... :D

9. funforums

funforums Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I don't think bot comes from hotmail account, I am sure about this, I am running a forum and i have little experience about this. I can give you the list of email Ids (spamming ids) but adding them individually will take ages, There is a mod on IPB you can install it easily and can get rid of spamming daily :)

Converting the boards again and again may cause problem for you and you will get less visitors/members, Because when you convert to any forum your members have to refresh the password or something like that, Anyway best of luck from me :)

- Imran

funforums, Nov 25, 2007 IP
  10. WatchOut

WatchOut Guest

Best Answers:
    I agree with Imran, converting your board from phpBB to myBB is not possible unless you do a fresh install however you may hire a coder to do this for you, and should probably charge around 30-50$ for this, depending on the size of the forums.

Now the question would be, why not try and save another 50$ and try to get a owned vB license here at DP? I'm certain you would find someone.

Regards,
    Meti

11. Professional Dude

Best Answers:
    Offcourse i am goona do a fresh install.. becoz i don't want those spammers to be in my new forum!! :rolleyes:

Thanks guys for your answers!

12. shararti

shararti Guest

Best Answers:
    switch to vbulletin

shararti, Nov 25, 2007 IP
  13. markowe

markowe Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, I agree with the suggestions to use mods which ask human-answerable questions. The question on my site at signup is simply, "Please type the word EAST here" - it is enough to deter 99% of bots - in fact I haven't had a single bot signup in the month since I added this! Although the more popular your site becomes, the more human spammers you will get, I imagine...

I wouldn't bother with the visual identification - i.e. the CAPTCHA. The default phpbb captcha has been completely compromised and all the bots can crack it. You are only adding an extra obstacle to your potential legitimate members. Just use a mod like RAC, turn off the captcha authorisation and most of your problems will be solved. Now all you have to do is get more real members :)

markowe, Nov 26, 2007 IP
  14. WatchOut

WatchOut Guest

Best Answers:
    Yeah I completly agree with markowe, disable the CAPTCHA (Image verification) system if you already use that human verification field.

- Meti

WatchOut, Nov 26, 2007 IP
  15. explicitzone.com

explicitzone.com Peon

Best Answers:
    Get some moderators.

explicitzone.com, Nov 27, 2007 IP
  16. Professional Dude

Best Answers:
    but still spammers will keep registering and that won't help alot!

Professional Dude, Nov 27, 2007 IP
  17. WatchOut

WatchOut Guest

Best Answers:
    I don't neccessarily agree, though moderators can keep the forum top quality, they still would have lots of spam issues to deal with and the best solution is to stop spam.

- Meti

WatchOut, Nov 27, 2007 IP
  18. bidfreelancers

bidfreelancers Peon

Best Answers:
    some times even this does not works. i used al these added lots of hacks even then i am getting tons of spam. i am really feed up. But recently not sure how my spam rate is 0 yes no spam post. Dont know what changes i made in admin.

bidfreelancers, Nov 29, 2007 IP
  19. WatchOut

WatchOut Guest

Best Answers:
    We all have to understand that their technique is very powerful and advanced on a daily rate, only way to improve the spam protection is to enable custom question and answer fields.

- Meti

WatchOut, Nov 29, 2007 IP
  20. Eliteboss

Eliteboss Peon

Best Answers:
    I have done a lot of work with phpbb and there are many ways to stop spam. SMF is easy to spam. I used to run with SMF but never again. Mod problems etc and spam!

Eliteboss, Dec 1, 2007 IP