1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I am getting lots of members, but they dont post?

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by r3dt@rget, Jul 30, 2009.

Well I have a little problem. My forum (link in sig) is about 4 months old and we have been growing pretty good. I get around 5-15 registrations per day, we are close to 1000 members now. We have lots of active members and we usually post about 100 new posts per day, and anywhere from 10-70 threads per day.

For a small forum like mine, that is pretty good activity. The problem I have is that the new members that join do not post. Some will hang around and post one or two times, but most just register and never post. I even see new members customize their avatar and profile, but never post. That just does not make sense to me.

I am having the one problem I never thought I would have with a forum. I get lots of new members, but it seems they do not want to post or reply to threads. Has anyone else had this little problem, or do you have advice for me? Thanks

r3dt@rget, Jul 30, 2009 IP
  2. bretthexum

bretthexum Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have this problem too. I try to keep everybody active buy having some sort of contest or giveaway. I just send a note to all registered members telling them when a contest is coming up. Help a lot, even though my forum is very small and new.

bretthexum, Jul 30, 2009 IP
  3. Irfi0009

Irfi0009 Banned

Best Answers:
    Brother start games and other entertainment topics which are attractive for users.

Irfi0009, Jul 30, 2009 IP
  4. r3dt@rget

r3dt@rget Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I host monthly contests, for great prizes. I also have forums for general chat topics like you mentioned. Still, they dont seem to want to participate in the contests or posts.

5. bretthexum

bretthexum Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, maybe I need to come win something :)

bretthexum, Jul 30, 2009 IP
  6. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Its not really a problem, its just the way it is.

Ever head of the 90:9:1 rule of forums? 1% of members post a post; 9% of members post occasionally; 90% don't post.

Agent000, Jul 30, 2009 IP
  7. Mangekyou

Mangekyou Peon

Best Answers:
    Sounds about right. If you fix this problem let the rest of us know!

There's not much you can really do. There are some little things like re-sending the activation email (if you use that) if they haven't activated it within a couple of weeks, or sending everyone your newsletter (though this isn't always well recieved).

Energy's best used keeping your active members active I think.

Mangekyou, Jul 30, 2009 IP
  8. r3dt@rget

r3dt@rget Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Well I was worried because it seems like the forum is not growing, even thought the amount of members is increasing.

9. rockindia4444

rockindia4444 Peon

Best Answers:
    my site(rockindia.net) too have lots of vistors & users but there r no active posters for me.

rockindia4444, Jul 31, 2009 IP
  10. Brakesk8

Brakesk8 Guest

Best Answers:
    Try influencing them to post by using contests and other forum activity's. Once you get them posting you can start adding more and more stuff that they'll enjoy.

Brakesk8, Jul 31, 2009 IP
  11. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe there's no interesting factor in order for them to be enthusiastic in posting :)

Try having gimmicks like >> Signature of the month or put an arcade etc

Ragnarok, Jul 31, 2009 IP
  12. Mangekyou

Mangekyou Peon

Best Answers:
    I may have misunderstood you. Your problem is that now new members are signing up and not posting, but in the past new members were posting. And now your stuck with all your old members posting and no new blood?

That is a problem.

It may not be the case though. That would be quite unusual, it may just appear to be that way.

If that is the case though then you'll need to try and get them involved and hooked as soon as possible. Send them a pm welcoming them and maybe asking a question (like "Where are you from?"), when you get a response that's them involved, reply to their message and try to get a disscusion going, before suggesting they get posting on the forum - that's them hooked. Since they may only sign in once or twice before you never see them again this will only work if you catch them soon after registration. It would be a good idea to get your mods and/or trusted regulars to do the same thing. Keep it coordinated though, don't want a new member getting 3 or 4 identical pms from different people.

Hope it goes well for you whatever you do.

Mangekyou, Aug 1, 2009 IP