1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I am a failure at marketing my writing services...Advice?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by shkad14, May 19, 2008.

1. Seasidewriter

Seasidewriter Peon

Best Answers:
    Have you sought out any local clients or researched what types of writers might be needed in your area or region?

Seasidewriter, May 20, 2008 IP
  2. webgal

webgal Peon

Best Answers:
    I think sometimes we need to shake things up and actually go to a meeting with local business people. For example, maybe an AMA meeting (American Marketing Association). I know you feel despondent but you can't let it get you down. Being freelance means you have to pull yourself up by your boot straps. No coworker will emerge out of the woodwork to do that for you.

And I have to agree with some of the others. Lose that desperate-sounding signature. It doesn't inspire any confidence. And continue to work on and grow your skills. I've done this copywriting thing over 20 years and I'm always learning something new, asking questions. I read Jenn's blog and learn something. I look at what others are doing, I learn something.

webgal, May 20, 2008 IP
  3. scottspfd82

scottspfd82 Active Member

Best Answers:
    There's a steep learning curve. You need to be talented. And you need to think of "outside the box" places to find work. Digital Point can be profitable, but there are some bigger fish out there.

scottspfd82, May 20, 2008 IP
  4. shkad14

shkad14 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for you advice. Just wanted to give you a quick update on my progress since yesterday. I revisited the freelance sites to see if there were any good projects. To my delight, I found one that interested me. The pay is low, but it would get my foot in the door. I bid on the project and won! This will be my first project away from DP. I am excited, but nervous.

Wish me luck. I am totally afraid of failure even though I have never had one bad review from a client.

shkad14, May 20, 2008 IP
  5. Seasidewriter

Seasidewriter Peon

Best Answers:
    Good luck! As Webgal said, it take a lot of get up and go to be a freelancer. I wish you the best.

Seasidewriter, May 20, 2008 IP
  6. Trusted Writer

Trusted Writer Banned

Best Answers:
    I'm glad to see you are back because I found that you came around DP last night without leaving any input on your own thread.

Sure, good luck on your new project and never stop to improve yourself :)

Trusted Writer, May 20, 2008 IP
  7. what

what Active Member

Best Answers:
    Good luck on your new project :) By the way, I hope you can consider what the other copywriters here said about your signature

what, May 20, 2008 IP
  8. Online Writer

Online Writer Peon

Best Answers:
    I hope you don't mind some constructive criticism.

I happened to check out your website which is set up decently. I was curious so I clicked on your portfolio page and the "children and camping" article.

I have a pretty good eye and it seems you have forgotten a few commas, have some extra periods, and "If the kids do not get good night sleep, they will be irritable the next day." should be fixed. The last paragraph is pretty shaky too.

It's easy to miss things on your own website as I've missed a few myself.

Just looking out for you!

Online Writer, May 20, 2008 IP
  9. webgal

webgal Peon

Best Answers:
    Sometimes you need to copy what you have on your site and put it in word to highlight errors. It's very hard to proof your own copy. But as freelancers, it's essential.

webgal, May 21, 2008 IP
  10. ndcole78

ndcole78 Peon

Best Answers:
    If you're having trouble on places like Elance, where you're competing against people who have been in the game for years, then offer your services a lot cheaper. ANd if you have decent work samples, then someone will give you a try if you make enough bids.

ndcole78, May 21, 2008 IP
  11. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Competing in a service-oriented field based solely on price is bad business. If clients in your target market (including your price range) aren't on bidding sites, than any responsible freelancer knows to stay the heck off the bidding sites themselves. Choose your market, and reach them. Don't settle for less just because other markets exist - they're not your concern.

jhmattern, May 21, 2008 IP
  12. komirad

komirad Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    1. Try to build a good relationship with your clients.
    2. Emphasize your strengths.
    3. If you do ad copy/sales letters, you could explain why you wrote it that way. You can also explain it through a video with screen capture.

komirad, May 22, 2008 IP
  13. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yep. Here's one of the first things my services marketing course in college taught:

Unlike product marketing, when marketing services you never market on price.

Also remember that price and value are two different things.

Here's a tip for you guys. Learn what positioning is and use it. Your name/biz/etc is a brand.

Don't forget the 80/20 rule. Most of your business will come from a small segment of your clients. Establish and maintain a great relationship with your clients. The good portion of your marketing effort should be on existing relationships, not new ones.

Lastly, do you know who your target audience is? It's not just people looking to buy writing services. :D Figure that out first.

marketjunction, May 22, 2008 IP
  14. ashvaj

ashvaj Active Member

Best Answers:
    As others have also said networking is the key to success in present times. If someone could earn a recommendation from established writers like Jenn it adds tones of weightage to the reputation.Ultimately it is the work quality that matters. One has to keep Walking !

ashvaj, May 25, 2008 IP
  15. Tommo

Tommo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Start small, maybe even try writing PLR article packs and selling them. Write articles to promote your site come up with a good offer and then write about it.

My wife started that way 18months ago. The she went onto writing 10 articles for $1 each but keeping the PLR rights for 20 article packs which could be distributed 1 month after the client got their articles. I addition to this she started writing original articles for under $5. It didn't make her rich but it got her known. She still has many clients she picked up then.

Now 18 months later she has major clients spending $$$$ per month (I believe that this months orders topped $10,000) and she employs 2 additional writers.

Stick with it, find a unique selling point and build your client base.

Tommo, May 25, 2008 IP
  16. EspressoChick

EspressoChick Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I think there is a lot of great advice here about marketing. But I also think it is important to pay attention to your writing. Your writing is a lot of your marketing. Offering your clients great writing services will a) make them very happy b) give you great samples to show the next client - and - c) may encourage them to send referrals or just more work your way. Meet your deadlines, be a positive person and use good common sense - that sort of thing. :)

I'm not a big marketer, I don't have a website up yet offering my services -- so you are way ahead of me in that respect. But I don't think you totally need one to attract writing clients. If you don't have a website then you need a strong resume and clips to send to potential clients. Look for writing jobs that get you excited and are about things you are passionate about. Everyone has different interests -- from sports to kids to crafts, etc. Find yours and get as many projects as you can in that area. People will start to see that you are someone to go-to on that topic. :)

I'm no expert on marketing and it is just my "two cents" -- but I think some of this should come naturally. You should have to force yourself to market yourself in a way that doesn't feel comfortable to you. What type of marketing technique appeals to you the most? What would YOU want to do to tell the world you are a writer - ready to help them with what they need? :)

EspressoChick, May 25, 2008 IP
  17. marketjunction

marketjunction Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That site has copy issues and isn't about marketing a writing business.

So, that's either a spam or way, way off topic.

"Dominate any niche market that you steps in" - LOL

Is this some "urban" program. :D

marketjunction, May 26, 2008 IP