1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I am a DMOZ editor, I am giving up....

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by fuse-box, Jan 24, 2008.

1. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    Gamers make good editors, editors quest for good sites, and know the bad guys when they see them, :D. The delete button makes a good sword. ;)

crowbar, Jan 25, 2008 IP
    robjones likes this.
  2. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    WOW is for kids, real men play Mount & Blade! Hopefully they'll start working on multiplayer in the near future. ;)

Ivan Bajlo, Jan 25, 2008 IP
  3. budalata

budalata Peon

Best Answers:
    crowbar, personally will be very happy to understand your characters and server you play in... :) Have friends which will prove you that editing you signature to "reinstated editor since 01.02.07 is better decision ;)

Best regards, we miss you

budalata, Jan 25, 2008 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  4. fuse-box

fuse-box Peon

Best Answers:
    LOL, are you alright popotalk?

fuse-box, Jan 25, 2008 IP
    robjones likes this.
  5. mattonline

mattonline Active Member

Best Answers:
    mattonline, Jan 25, 2008 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  6. fuse-box

fuse-box Peon

Best Answers:
    it looks alright to me...if was a editor at the business fourm or something and i would looked into to it more...and accept it...:D
    but some editors have their own reasons..

fuse-box, Jan 25, 2008 IP
  7. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes I am. I am just teasing crowbar. His skin is so soft that it gets easily irritated by forum brawl and directory spams. :D
    Forums usually takes a lot of posts and members to qualify. ;)
    Threads: 1,163, Posts: 4,477, Members: 5,233
    Give it more time. :)

popotalk, Jan 25, 2008 IP
  8. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Really? How do you know that?

It's far more likely that nobody has volunteered to evaluate it yet.

jimnoble, Jan 25, 2008 IP
  9. pnisbet

pnisbet Active Member

Best Answers:
    I know I am being very cynical, but to me editors do have their own reasons for failing to accept sites, and they can be personal. My sites are perfectly good original content sites, but I can't even ask why not and am scared to resubmit even after 2 years.

I have read it can take years to be included, so to me and many others DMOZ sucks, and Google is doing a disservice to many people by placing any level of importance on a self-regulated directory that is so open to abuse by people protecting their own interests by refusing to include competition.

You will likely say that I am so wrong, but DMOZ would get more respect if it allowed questions to be asked by those with decdent non-spammy sites after trying to be listed for a couple of years or more. How do I know that my site has even been visited? I have read that it is sheer luck, and nothing to do with how long your site has been submitted for. That in itself sucks and is very unprofessional.

I have been invited to be an editor, but I refuse until I have at leats one site accepted. Till then I will continue to believe the stories of self-interest interfering with dispassionate editing that I have seen on other forums.

True, I am being very cynical, and I know that I will be doing most of the hard working editors a disservice, but whether you like it or not that's the way a lot of people think. They will continue to think like me until DMOZ resurrects some form of progress report on long-standing submissions.

pnisbet, Jan 25, 2008 IP
    compostannie likes this.
  10. aspidov

aspidov Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    there are loads and loads of categories that don't have editors. thats why it usually takes so much time to get rejected.

aspidov, Jan 25, 2008 IP
    robjones and Ivan Bajlo like this.
  11. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Be careful serg of what you say here. If your a present editor you might be locked out or if your still waiting for reinstatement it might not happen. :)

popotalk, Jan 25, 2008 IP
  12. aspidov

aspidov Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    if someone can't take a joke, it's not my problem. this is a public forum.

aspidov, Jan 25, 2008 IP
  13. crowbar

crowbar Peon

Best Answers:
    :) I like that one, lol.

The editing community is like a pyramid, the higher up you are named, the more categories you can edit beneath you. A New York State level editor edits in every category and sub category in the state, so even if a thousand cities don't have a named editor in them, the state level editors do edit them.

Now, NYS is one of the largest, and if you look at the bottom of the page, you'll see there are only four state level editors:
    http://www.dmoz.org/Regional/North_America/United_States/New_York/

Those four editors edit in all categories within NYS, whether there is a named editor in one of them or not. All editors always start out in a small category, say a small city in Regional. They are limited to that one category until they've shown they can edit properly, and even then, they have to apply to other categories if they want to expand their editing privledges.

So, yes, there are many categories with no named editor, but, that doesn't mean they are editorless, there are hundreds of editors who can and do edit there. But, they are spread very thin, and there are many different tasks for an editor to do in the Directory besides reviewing site suggestions.

Where most of you go wrong is in thinking that editors provide or are supposed to provide a service to you. That's completely untrue. The goal is to build the Directory for the web surfer, you are just one of many components that go into that, and I'm sorry to say it, but not necessarily the most important.

Sites can be found most anywhere, so your suggestions are appreciated, but not absolutely neccessary. Your desires and demands are known, but really not a priority, as it is for you.

I hate to say it, but, you're just one more source. Sometimes that can be valuable, but a lot of times it's just 3 times as much work to wade through.

Your need to be listed is much greater than the Directory's need to list you, and that can be very frustrating, so the best thing to do is just take the few minutes it takes to suggest your site, and then forget about it. There's nothing more you can or should do about it. From that point on, it's out of your hands. (Unless you'd like to become an editor).

crowbar, Jan 25, 2008 IP
  14. fuse-box

fuse-box Peon

Best Answers:
    it's cool...POPOTALK is just joking with you...LOL
    i mean, how is he goning to block your account if you have one...?!! ha?:rolleyes:

can you POPOTALK :confused:
    PM me if you can block account :D

fuse-box, Jan 26, 2008 IP
  15. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    That one is easy! I'll just write here thanks for listing my website and metas will be all over it looking for a proof and even if they don't find it account will be blocked just in case. :p

Ivan Bajlo, Jan 26, 2008 IP
  16. budalata

budalata Peon

Best Answers:
    You are joking, right?

I am almost ready to list few deeplinks of vojska.net...thanks for telling me not to do this :D

budalata, Jan 26, 2008 IP
  17. fuse-box

fuse-box Peon

Best Answers:
    are you serious?!! LOL
    there are not that many metas on DP

18. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    vojska.net is pretty safe since its 2329 pages monster of unique multitopic, multilanguage content, it had 9 deeplinks before I even become editor... but since I'm no longer editor I'm no longer required to update my affiliations list and who knows which domain I have acquired recently could be cnn.com, could be topix.net, maybe aol.com? :D

http://www.domaintools.com/internet-statistics/dmoz-listings.php
    who know which domain I have bought... so many to check :eek:

19. Ivan Bajlo

Ivan Bajlo Peon

Best Answers:
    There are more lurkers here then you know and besides it is enough for one of them to post a link in internal meta forum which can be accessed only by metas and they will all come here to read it.

Warning I got before removal form meta was based on partial sentences taken out of content I've made on this forum in order to fake the case against me since they couldn't find anything wrong in my editing logs and that was while I was still defending DMOZ (well in my own unique way)! :cool:

20. fuse-box

fuse-box Peon

Best Answers:
    wooow :eek: