1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Hurricane Katrina and how to make money

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by gworld, Sep 4, 2005.

It seems in the middle of crisis when nobody knew what to do and the government was asking people for donation, they still had time and money to award a contract to Halliburton.

Halliburton hired for storm cleanup

Not even a hurricane can stop these guys from making a dollar. :)

gworld, Sep 4, 2005 IP
  2. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    Let us hope Halibrton and others hired for the clean up do a good and reputable job. I hate to think of all the flim flam con artists moving in for the kill.

Shannon

Smyrl, Sep 4, 2005 IP
  3. JCDev

JCDev Peon

Best Answers:
    Seems like a sure way to make money these days is to be a key player in the death industry ;)

[​IMG]

JCDev, Sep 4, 2005 IP
  4. Dreamshop

Dreamshop Peon

Best Answers:

And oil.....

From what I've heard this was an open bid contract, but it was assigned to Halliburton without even giving others a chance to bid on it. Isn't it nice to have friends in high places?

Dreamshop, Sep 4, 2005 IP
  5. gworld

gworld Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Here is another good chart:

[​IMG]

What do you think is the net profit for each dead soldier for Halliburton?

gworld, Sep 4, 2005 IP
  6. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    They're not the only ones trying to profit:

Attached Files:

mcfox, Sep 4, 2005 IP
  7. larysmith711

larysmith711 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Honestly it is probably better. I know the state of California is sending Firefighters to help with the clean up efforts. My brother-in-law is a local fire captain and the ones that are going will get about $20,000 in overtime for the 30 days they are there.

$20K for one dude just think about how many are going??? From what I understand the state was asking for 2 firefighters per department.

IMO, give it to Halliburton.

larysmith711, Sep 4, 2005 IP
  8. GTech

GTech Rob Jones for President!

Best Answers:
    Hoping they do a good job. They are equipped to deal with things like this. Clinton relied upon them during his administration as well.

GTech, Sep 4, 2005 IP
  9. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    And this is why all hope + faith in governments has gone

Design Agent, Sep 4, 2005 IP
  10. GTech

Best Answers:
    I don't think so DA. Some are moaning that the response was not quicker. We'll learn about that in due course and take action. In the mean time, to see the amount of resources, rescuing, evacuation and help being provided...I don't see how anyone (that lives here) could say all faith in governments is gone.

I know some are (and already have) going to use this tragedy for a political platform to lob and throw out blame at all cost. To deride the efforts of those working so hard to go in and save lives, secure an enormous area and bring relief to others. It's sad that people do that, but they certainly have the right to.

I watch the news and see a helicopter's view of the city. For miles, as far as the eye can see, there are home's rooftops sticking just out of the water. One report today, said the area affected was the size of Great Brittan. I believe that is where you are from, correct? Just imagine your entire country under water and devastated.

Three months, just to pump out the water, is what is estimated. Could be years before many can return. This isn't the "usual" hurricane that hits Florida where they quickly recover. And it's not just New Orleans. It impacted hard, four states.

There are times in history, where a natural disaster is, a natural disaster. It's humbling, saddening and heart wretching to see, to hear the personal stories. It's a relief to see humanity in action...Americans helping fellow Americans in ways none of us could imagine.

GTech, Sep 4, 2005 IP
  11. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    Even your esteemed leader says that the reponse was inadequate.

You are doing it too. Most people do, they need a direction to blame. I dont see people saying the nurses, firefighters and emergency workers are not doing a good job. People are saying those in charge did not do a good enough job.

No I dont want to imagine it.
    Instead imagine if it took the PM to be called a racist before drastic action was taken. Whether he is or not I will never know.

People's issue is NOT the disaster, but the way it was handled by those at the top. Its funny, I am yet to read 1 single critical post of the republicans from you.

Shoot to kill, leaving people to die, blocking the red cross, playing golf. - Those are not acts of natural disaster.

Design Agent, Sep 4, 2005 IP
  12. Old Welsh Guy

Old Welsh Guy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Why are people calling this a natural disaster? Building a city 6m below sea level and not having adequate defences doesn't seem natural to me.

Old Welsh Guy, Sep 4, 2005 IP
  13. GTech

Best Answers:
    Design Agent, your response is so despicable that it doesn't deserve a response. And that's probably a first for me.

GTech, Sep 4, 2005 IP
  14. Crazy_Rob

Crazy_Rob I seen't it!

Best Answers:
    You're amazing, man!

Gtech defends the government more than the government defends themselves.

Crazy_Rob, Sep 4, 2005 IP
  15. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    What is most telling is how the people who are moaning loudest about how "the government" isn't doing enough are not doing anything themselves.

It would be better if they don't return.

Choosing to live under water doesn't get you a lot of sympathy from me.

And then whining like children and demanding that the Americans who were smart enough not to build homes in a swamp pay for your poor judgement... it's despicable.

Will.Spencer, Sep 4, 2005 IP
  16. Dreamshop

Dreamshop Peon

Best Answers:
    We'll all have our opinions about this, but you can't deny it's painful to know that people suffered, some dying, while the government waddled around for five days playing the "must fill out proper forms in triplicate" card.

This is just damn painful period.

There are risks thousands of people take every day. Tell me which cities in the US have never endured some sort of natural disaster (no flood zones, no earthquake faults, no hurricanes, tornadoes, etc); then tell me you expect everyone to live in only those places.

New Orleans has been around for hundreds of years and according to Wikipedia, is the fourth largest shipping port in the world. It may not be the safest place to live but it was built for strategic reasons. That's why I find it so brain numbing that more Federal support wasn't given to ensure that it could withstand a serious and respond quickly to an emergency (natural, terrorist, or otherwise).

*ice cream headache*

17. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Interesting information coming out about the money that had been sent to strengthen levies, etc.. that was misused. I hope that, if this is true, those who squandered the money are punished! The lives of those lost will be on their hands.

debunked, Sep 4, 2005 IP
  18. Dreamshop

Dreamshop Peon

Best Answers:
    I've also heard that feeral funding for these projects was cut drastically, as well as wetlands reclamation halted by the federal gov. As usual everyone is going to be pointing the finger at everyone else...it's going to be a long time coming before it all pans out.

19. Roman

Roman Buffalo Tamerâ„¢

Best Answers:
    I just heard someone on the news state their opinion.(keep in mind, this is not my opinion as I am not informed enough about the situation, but just thought I throw it out for som opinions as it made me think.)

His opinion was that alot of people stayed behind, not because they were to poor to leave, but because they knew in advance the opportunity for looting would arise. He stated that many buses left empty as people refused to leave.

What happened is a tradgedy, but I can't help but think that if a lot of the people helped themselves instead of waiting for others...

Roman, Sep 4, 2005 IP
  20. Dreamshop

Dreamshop Peon

Best Answers:

It's probably true that some people stayed behind for this reason, or simply because they felt this was "their home"....but I seriously doubt that was a very large number. Do you think a mom with kids is going to choose to stay behind if she has a vehicle and the money to get somewhere else? Obviously the people who were hurt most were elderly, ill, or children. I doubt they stayed behind just though could grab a new pair of adidas.

I'm sure someone must have thought of the possibility of busing those without the means to shelters like the Astrodome prior to the hurricane, I just wonder why it didn't happen. Again...maybe just too much red tape.