1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Huge Directory or Specific Directory ???

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Arasp, Oct 31, 2005.

Hi guys,

I would like to know how we can make more money from adsense in Directory and link indexing websites.

Is it better to have a very big directory site with hundreds of categories and sub-categories like Dmoz?
    Or it’s better to enter in a very specific category. Like a Web Hosting Directory.

I guess the marketing of the second one is much easier, and all the ads will be about web hosting and since the whole of the site is about hosting and the adsense ads are also about hosting, we can greatly get rid of smart pricing somehow. We can easily add web hosting companies into the site and people will surf our website only to find web hosting and nothing else.

But what is your idea regarding the first one, I mean the very big directory like dmoz.

I guess, many people will come and submit their websites into it, but they will have no interest to visit other links and clicking on the adsense ads because they only want to be listed. And its marketing sounds much harder to me. Since there are hundreds of similar directories around, how can we encourage people to surf our new directory?

I am about to run a directory website and I really need your idea to see what is best for making more money in PPC networks like Adsense and YPN.

Thanks,

Arasp, Oct 31, 2005 IP
  2. cagintranet

cagintranet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    specific is the only way to go. if you ar looking to make money via PPC then the only way you are going to get loads of uniques looking for something, and not just tryng to submit would be to specialize your dir. We did, and the outcome has been great.

even if you are looking into trying to sell featured links... a specific dir is the way to go... you will get targeted visitors... and that is what means the most.

cagintranet, Oct 31, 2005 IP
  3. lsblogs

lsblogs Peon

Best Answers:
    Why not start small, then expand as your experience grows?

lsblogs, Oct 31, 2005 IP
  4. Arasp

Arasp Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I cannot do it. The features and the whole design of a specific directroy is quite different from the big and huge directories.

For a hosting directory, we need some unique features of hosting plans, bandwidth, rating, .....

Arasp, Oct 31, 2005 IP
  5. Arasp

Arasp Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Can I ask Moderators to move this topic to Adsense forum. I guess it is more related to adsense rather than directories.

Arasp, Nov 1, 2005 IP
  6. lsblogs

lsblogs Peon

Best Answers:
    b*llo*ks.....

Explain to me how there are differences....

A well designed niche directory is no different from one that covers many areas. You cant do it, says to me you dont know what you are on about.

Unless I am missing something, and if you care to explain it to me, then perhaps I would learn something.

Either that, or stop talking crap, as hosting plans, bandwidth ect have nothing whatsoever to do with your original query. Making a directory purely for adsense only is asking for trouble also.

You are talking about guessing, and asking basic questions, but want to run something like dmoz? For goodness sakes dont run before you can walk.

lsblogs, Nov 2, 2005 IP
  7. Arasp

Arasp Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It seems you have not underestood anything of this post.

A website like demoz, means a COMPREHENSIVE DIRECTORY with many categories.

A Hosting Categorie is an example of Specific category.

The marketing side of a comprehensive category is difficult and that is the only difference.

Arasp, Nov 2, 2005 IP
  8. cagintranet

cagintranet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    arasp, it looks like you already know what you want to do. You should ut all this energy into starting a dir.

basics:
    -- comprehensive directory = only webmaster traffic looking to submit = adsense blindness = little to no profit at all

-- a well thought out niche directory w/ good content = natural SE traffic = very profitable (but not without a lot of time and effort of your part)

cagintranet, Nov 2, 2005 IP
  9. CanadianEh

CanadianEh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Don't expect a lot of Adsence clicks from a directory. Like someone said, most of your traffic will be peole looking to do a quick submission. The big reason is that there are so many (more than a thousand)

Your best chance would be finding a niche in which there are not many directories already.

CanadianEh, Nov 2, 2005 IP
  10. Arasp

Arasp Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, that is exactly what I am gonna do.

It will not be a comprehensive directory and nobody will register any site on it. I should add the web hosting providers myself and people will come and surf only and only to find their hosting plans, and the adsense clicks will be much much more.

Thanks for your suggestions, all I need to find right now, is a nice script for establishing a hosting directory.

Arasp, Nov 2, 2005 IP