1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

.htpasswd not necessary?

Discussion in 'Apache' started by WSparrow, Jan 9, 2011.

Hello all,

I've been hosting sites with IIS for a number of years now, but Microsoft is too expensive so I'm trying to setup a new LAMP server. I admit I'm a noob with apache, but I'm pretty skilled with networking, firewalls, etc. I understand the .htaccess file. But to host a publicly accessable site (i.e. no passwords) do I still need .htpasswd? If so, how do I configure it to allow guests who don't have a password? And how does .htgroup fit in with that?

And this shouldn't make a difference, but a portion of the site will have restricted access. However, I'm using PHP and MySQL to handle that, it's the public area I'm having trouble with.

Thanks

WSparrow, Jan 9, 2011 IP
  2. joebert

joebert Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There's no need to have .htpasswd if it's not being used. Apache isn't going to have a problem unless there's an mod_auth family directive which explicitly mentions your .htpasswd file.

joebert, Jan 10, 2011 IP