1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

HTML5 - Is it stable?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by abusschaert, Dec 2, 2012.

1. jaydeee

jaydeee Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    NOT until now...
    I've read an article that HTML5 is Facebook's worst venture.

jaydeee, Dec 23, 2012 IP
  2. vivekmoyal

vivekmoyal Member

Best Answers:
    Right now it is not stable or i can say whenever the people uses the IE it is not stable. So we have to wait that people will not use this IE (Internet Explorer)

vivekmoyal, Dec 23, 2012 IP
  3. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    With the hordes of javascript for nothing and the fact they've been deploying HTML 3.2 with a tranny doctype on it from day one, skipping right past STRICT/Modern markup with separation of presentation from content IS just going to make things worse... especially with their habit of just throwing MORE javascript at it... something HTML 5 retards seem to have a raging chodo for in the first place with the idiotic polyfills/shiv's/whatever they want to call them this week. It's just piling worse code on top of bad.

Though HTML 5 should be right up their alley because of that -- Things like that bit of crap Paul Irish came up with that I've been seeing on damned near EVERY HTML 5 page, with the half dozen IE conditionals around the HTML tag as a bloated crutch for people who don't know how to use HTML, CSS or JavaScript correctly. If they can throw more code at it for zero improvement in accessibility or speed, it seems like facebook is on it like a pig on slop.

I mean seriously, if you don't know what's wrong with:

<body class="hasLeftCol home composerExpanded fbx opera win Locale_en_US">

Code (markup):
    You probably have no business writing HTML in the first damned place. It's how Facebook ends up sending 483k of markup for a flat page, then throws even MORE code at it with AJAX to try and 'save bandwidth' on something that to be frank, shouldn't take more than a twentieth that if they bothered using semantic markup, separation of presentation from content, and bothered to give a flying **** about accessibility. All their fancy scripting is a money pit -- they're lucky they've got user generated content people actually want, otherwise they'd have fallen flat on their faces ages ago.

Facebooks report card pretty much goes:
    Accessibility: F
    Concept: A
    Implementation: D
    Security: C
    Usability: B-

Of course the one-line wonder-posters praising 5 in this thread are a laugh too. Guess who else never pulled their heads out of 1997's backside...

deathshadow, Dec 23, 2012 IP
  4. Arunkumar nagappan

Arunkumar nagappan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Html 5 Support all kind of modern browsers. WordPress website need Html 5. Google support and encourage Html 5 websites.So It your website want to top ranging in Google search your website need Html 5.

Arunkumar nagappan, Dec 24, 2012 IP
  5. vivekmoyal

vivekmoyal Member

Best Answers:
    I think you are mistaken ..... Modern browsers support it but still IE9 is not supporting it in full. And who told you that you need html 5 for a wordpress website. Ya thats true that everyone is encouraging the HTML 5 due to its working capacity. Where is it written that if you have html 5 than you will have a good rank. Please update yourself and please dont misguide other's

vivekmoyal, Dec 25, 2012 IP
  6. Arunkumar nagappan

Arunkumar nagappan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes IE9 not fully support html5. but latest wordpress themes are created based on html5. Also many web designers support html5.

Arunkumar nagappan, Dec 25, 2012 IP
  7. vivekmoyal

vivekmoyal Member

Best Answers:
    Now your this statement is good and i like the way you describe it now..... HTML 5 will create your application more better and more designer if you include it with css3

vivekmoyal, Dec 25, 2012 IP
  8. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    Which is just more proof what complete ******* MORONS their developers are when it comes to HTML... just to stack even more ineptitude atop their already disastrously bad code.

Still can't wrap my head around anyone WANTING to use HTML 5, much less seeing anything of value in it over 4 STRICT.

Though popular it seems engrish moist goodry crowd it is.

deathshadow, Dec 25, 2012 IP
  9. agitetech

agitetech Peon

Best Answers:
    If you have the latest version of any browser than it is Stable for you but for designing any website using HTML5 would not be a good idea because may be all of your site visitors not have the latest version of browser...

agitetech, Dec 25, 2012 IP
  10. a1technology

a1technology Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    HTML5 is a collection of technologies, most of which continue to evolve. It began when the Web development community recognized many deficiencies in HTML4 and associated XHTML. HTML5 is being standardized in pieces: easier and less controversial pieces like new input definitions first, and more complex (and contentious) ones like WebSockets and video later.

The three specs that are most stable and ready for your site are Geolocation, Canvas and SVG. These are now supported by modern browsers like Chrome, Internet Explorer 9 and Firefox., Developers can use HTML5 to add geolocation capabilities .

a1technology, May 10, 2013 IP
  11. wiicker95

wiicker95 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Geolocation? I wonder which part of it fits into the definition of HTML, that is a hypertext markup language (if you have forgotten, or haven't known it in the first place).

CANVAS is actually javascript, it can't work without javascript. How's that any htmlly?? (is that a word? oh well...)

SVG, what a cool idea! Why the hell not reintroduce something proven unstable and wrong a decade ago?

wiicker95, May 10, 2013 IP
  12. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    What wiicker95 just said -- those have WHAT exactly to do with HTML? Oh that's right, Jack left town, took his **** with him...

deathshadow, May 10, 2013 IP
  13. Krisism

Krisism Member

Best Answers:
    I think the question of stability is a curious one - what are you worried about? HTML5 is still HTML, the only required change is the DOCTYPE. It's an evolution of HTML, created partly as a way to make web-accessible sites and applications for mobile devices. The code is much more readable both to humans (in my opinion) and to search engines; with one example being that instead of <div class="header"> you can use markup like <header>.

The code is cleaner, you have some great new 'features' like the canvas and cache manifest (local storage, great for iphone/android apps). Or the javascript-less form validation, native video player, or other things mentioned by @msherry. HTML5 canvas is enabling a lot of cool mashups, games, animations, ect - it really is a canvas to do whatever you can imagine with.

From experience, I can tell you that features like the native video player are groundbreaking. Flash (as great as it was in it's day) has no place on the modern web. The new video player enables cross-compatibility on devices (which will obviously improve as browsers update) without the need for Flash or any third party scripts. If that isn't awesome enough, you can customize the video player skins right within css. HTML5 and CSS3 go hand in hand - giving us tools to create lighter code, and more readable and more accessible content.

In terms of support, it's not as bad as you might think. There are a number of places the canvas or other HTML5 additions won't work, particularly in older browsers - but it works great on almost all current mobile browsers and within a year you can expect a much higher percentage of users to have HTML5 compatible browsers/devices.

If you plan on implementing a lot of elements newly incorporated in HTML5, I suggest considering your audience first. Do you have a large audience, and are they using older browsers that might not be compatible? (Check your analytics). If a share of your users are using older browsers, is it worth 'prompting' them to update in order to experience the new elements you will implement? (Will the benefit to both you and them justify the effort). Those would be my main considerations with HTML5 if you have any concerns. Aside from that, dive in and play! See for yourself.

In my opinion, it's worth working with immediately because the evolution of technology will catch up so quickly that it will be outdated before we catch our breaths. I use it almost everyday and love the progress they made in this iteration. It won't be long until everyone is using html5-supported browsers!

Cheers

Krisism, May 10, 2013 IP
  14. deathshadow

Best Answers:
    It's a question I'd expect from anyone with an engineering background the moment they hear the word 'draft'... as in subject to change, not for use on production work, just for testing. Which is what it's SUPPOSED to mean. Those new elements could be changed or even removed at any time, on a whim.

Again, that's what bit IE 5.x in the arse and why we ended up paying for 'quirks mode' for so many years; implementation in a browser and deployment by developers of something still in Draft and nowhere near finalized.

So far there's so little useful in HTML 5 for it to actually break on change, there are no real issues in that way... unlike say CSS3... linear-gradient for example is handy (if poor performing in certain browsers) but differs greatly today from when Apple created it -- hence the two different -webkit- ways of declaring it. (and they CANNOT get rid of vendor prefixes fast enough for me -- thankfully Gecko and Blink are both saying "Enough is enough" and axing all of them)

That's an unstable API -- something 'real world' engineers couldn't even conceive of trying to use, but seems to be considered an acceptable practice by web developers or even just computer developers in general.

deathshadow, May 10, 2013 IP
  15. Krisism

Krisism Member

Best Answers:
    No HTML language will ever be 'stable' if that's the literal answer you are looking for. They are a collection of features/improvements that will change as browsers change - and are always trying to catch up.

Does that mean you shouldn't use it? As in my answer above, I think you should always consider your audience first - but if you want to know where things are going, it's absolutely worth exploring. The point is, I don't think you will answer your question until you learn more about it. Check out html5doctor.com, they have some great docs for learning about it!

There are readily available fallbacks (html5 shiv) and lots of great information across the web to learn about HTML5 and if the features newly implemented are 'stable' enough for you. As of December 2012, HTML5 is a W3C Candidate Recommendation, which means:

'A candidate recommendation is a version of the standard that is more firm than the WD (working draft). At this point, the group responsible for the standard is satisfied that the standard does what is needed of it. The purpose of the CR is to elicit aid from the development community as to how implementable the standard is.'

They have made a lot of ground, but still have lots to go. It is the development community that drives it forward; a community you can be a part of.

Good luck exploring and figuring it out for yourself!

P.S. @deathshadow, I agree, cannot wait until they do away with vendor prefixes and cross-compatibility issues in general. I do believe we are moving in the right direction as a development community - as you mentioned Gecko and other browsers are not trying to fight it anymore. Unfortunately we still have the Microsoft vs Apple vs Google dillema, which likely has a major role in the development path of IE, Safari and Chrome.

Last edited: May 11, 2013
    Krisism, May 11, 2013 IP
  16. TestingWhiz1

TestingWhiz1 Member

Best Answers:
    As html 5 is in developing phase it can't be said as a complete stable.The main issue comes at browser support feature.For example unless there is not any standard video format that is supported by all major browsers, it can't be said as stable platform.

TestingWhiz1, May 13, 2013 IP
  17. johnmdotme

johnmdotme Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    All the features you are most likely to use are stable, you just need to include the snippet from google to make IE5-8 behave like modern browsers: http://code.google.com/p/ie7-js/

Also always use a good CSS Reset on every website.

However most of the time you dont need to use the google snippet, as IE8 and below are ALMOST phased out. I can usually get away with ignoring problems in older browsers.

johnmdotme, May 13, 2013 IP