1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

html editors, advice?

Discussion in 'Products & Tools' started by Christopher, Mar 24, 2005.

Ok, I've been using HoTMetaL (versions 3, 4, 5) for about 9 years. My current version is old. In fact, they don't even make it anymore, I think the company is defunct.

I have really liked the ability to change from html to tag to browser view, and it's rule checking.

But I'm thinking it's time for something new, it is buggy and a cpu hog.

What do you'all use and like?

And are there any editors that can handle html with php code mixed in without choking?

Thanks,

Chris

Christopher, Mar 24, 2005 IP
  2. justtara

justtara Peon

Best Answers:
    If you willing to make an investment Dreamweaver is great.

justtara, Mar 25, 2005 IP
  3. Kevlar

Kevlar Guest

Best Answers:
    I use notepad!

Kevlar, Mar 25, 2005 IP
  4. Epica

Epica Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Using notepad alone is like using a spoon to dig a tunnel through a mountain.

sure its possible...but...why..?

I suffer from cronic laziness, and undermotivation I suppose, but 'work smarter not harder' always worked for me.

Perhaps its more valiant to proclaim "I hand code thousands of pages of HTML, PHP and ASP pages." but I just feel bad for guys like that - nothing better to do with their time..? You probably dream in code. hah ;)

Wake up from a nightmare in a cold sweat a scream "<div style="padding:5px;aahhhhhhh" must really trip out the spouse ;)

Epica, Mar 25, 2005 IP
  5. Epica

Epica Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Oh yeah - got carried away spouting ridiculous personal perspective and forgot to make a point -

There are several really great editors out there. Decide which features are most important to you, list these and you will probably get some better advise.

Alley code - HTML and PHP tag highlighting, validation and optimization, plus some CSS tools. I like this editor.:D Officially recommended by..ME!:cool:

Still at work I can't escape DreamWeaver, and even FrontPage:( since some clients only have FrontPage.

Epica, Mar 25, 2005 IP
  6. wendydettmer

wendydettmer Peon

Best Answers:
    edit plus is my recommendation.

wendydettmer, Mar 25, 2005 IP
  7. Christopher

Christopher Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh, I hate it when that happens!!! Just last night my cat was playing with the blinds and I was hearing that, knowing it was the cat rattling the blinds, but dreaming "she's trying to get that affiliate code cookie right so she gets credit for her sales" - which happens to be what I was working on just before I went to bed... I always wake up with heartburn when I have dreams like this or dreams of working on code...

back on topic. Thank you all for your suggestions, I will check them out, keep more coming. The only thing I know I won't use is FrontPage. It adds too much stuff I don't want.

Christopher, Mar 25, 2005 IP
  8. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    Yeah, Notepad sucks.

That's why I code all of my pages in `vi`. :D

HTML editors are hard to use and they create weird looking code that eats up a lot of bandwidth.

CSS, SHTML, and template files make redundancy unnecessary.

And no worries about the spouse -- she knows `vi`, HTML, and CSS too.

Will.Spencer, Mar 25, 2005 IP
  9. wendydettmer

wendydettmer Peon

Best Answers:
    You use vi? sheesh, i hated that program. I coded my first pages in joe :)

i agree, html editors like dreamweaver, etc all leave funky code in. It's what i love about editplus, it's like a text editor but color codes, etc etc for programming. i just make one template and from there, it's easy as pie for the rest of the site.

but vi...sheesh i'd rather stab myself with a spoon lol. more power to ya.

wendydettmer, Mar 25, 2005 IP