1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

HTML checkbox onClick submit?

Discussion in 'JavaScript' started by PoPSiCLe, Mar 17, 2009.

Hey.

I have a webpage, with admin-login and such. This is all done in PHP, and works just fine.

When an admin logs in, all edit-boxes and such becomes visible on the webpage, and sometimes these boxes becomes obtrusive, and it's a hassle to log out to see the page without the admin-boxes and then have to log in again to do more work.

I would like a checkbox to become visible when an admin logs in. The checkbox would say something like:

"Click here to hide all admin-tools" or something similar.

When a user clicks this checkbox (default, unchecked) all admin tools will be hidden.

So... what I need help with is how to do this part in javascript?
    SEMrush
    I'm wondering as follows:

*how do I make the checkbox "submit" the choice onClick?
    *how do I make the browser remember the choice spanning different pages?
    *what is the best way of achieving my goal? Just change a CSS-value, as to hide the admin-tools?

Anyone have any mock-up code, code examples etc. that I can look at for help on this?

PoPSiCLe, Mar 17, 2009 IP
    SEMrush
  2. slash197

slash197 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    1)submit on click:
    <input type="checkbox" onclick="this.form.submit();">

2)to remember choice on different pages use session
    3)yes , use css to show/hide things based on your checkbox value

slash197, Mar 18, 2009 IP
  3. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Well... I've gotten a bit further, and have a working checkbox with a session attached to it - the problem now is: how do I get the checkbox to "turn off"?

What I've got for now is the following code:

<input type="checkbox" name="admincheck" value="1" onClick="this.form.submit();<?php if (isset($_POST['admincheck'])) { $_SESSION['check']=checked; } else { $_SESSION['check']; } ?>" checked="<?php echo $_SESSION['check']; ?>" />

Code (markup):
    That makes the box stay checked through the pages, just as I want it to - but I would also like to be able to click it off - how do I do that? Obviously it doesn't help to check for a non-checked (or as in the else-statement, try to set a blank session-cookie) value, so...? any ideas?

PoPSiCLe, Mar 18, 2009 IP
  4. alexpr07

alexpr07 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I'm not so familiar with PHP syntax so I'll just try to explain in plain english.
    First of all, you can add a button to each page:

<input type="button" value="View/Hide Admin Tools" onclick="javascript:location='session_variable.php';">

Code (markup):
    Now in session_variable.php write something like this:
    if session("hide_tools")="yes" then session("hide_tools")="no" else session("hide_tools")="yes"
    then redirect back to HTML_REFERRER

On each page you can use stylesheet, basically if session("hide_tools") is "yes" then you use "hide_tools.css" else you use "display_tools.css"

This should be not be difficult in PHP...

alexpr07, Mar 18, 2009 IP
  5. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    Okay - I get your point, but I'm at a loss to how to accomplish it, it seems. The example you give above, to me, makes no sense - I get that the javascript calls the php-file, of course, that is no problem, but I fail to see where the php-file gets its values from.

The javascript-button does nothing, really - it does not set the session-value or anything (and from what I have read online, javascript can't set session values, only cookies?).

A more or less "working" script (basically - how to make a single javascript-button change between a yes/no value, and preferably save that value to a php-session or a cookie (both will work just fine for me)).

Can I ask for that? :) (Yeah, I know, javascript is like greek to me).

PoPSiCLe, Mar 18, 2009 IP
  6. wrankin

wrankin Peon

Best Answers:
    Do it backwards.

wrankin, Mar 18, 2009 IP
  7. PoPSiCLe

Best Answers:
    Again... makes no sense to me :)

I got it working though, by abandoning JS alltogether, and just using php and a session-variable. It works like a charm, even though it might not be as "slick" as I'd like it to be :) It works, that's the important part.

PoPSiCLe, Mar 19, 2009 IP
  8. slash197

slash197 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I'm glad that you worked it out, even though not with my help.

slash197, Mar 19, 2009 IP
  9. bestseo1

bestseo1 Peon

Best Answers:
    this one is working perfect:

<?
    $office = $_POST['office'];
    ?>
    <html>
    <body>
    <?
    if ($office=='on') {
    echo "ON<br>";
    $office='off';
    $checked = "checked";
    }
    else {
    echo "OFF<br>";
    $office='on';
    $checked = "";
    }
    ?>
    <form name="checkbox" action="<?php echo $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']; ?>" method="POST">
    <input type="checkbox" name="office" value="<? echo $office;?>" onClick='submit();' <? echo $checked;?>>
    </form>

www . teranor . com
    if you have any questions you can find me on w w w . t e r a n o r . c o m .
    We do IT:
    - iphone applications
    - android applications
    - websites
    - SEO

bestseo1, Jun 15, 2012 IP
  10. Rukbat

Rukbat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Did you ever think of putting all the admin tools in the same class and just use CSS to make them all display:hidden/display:visible (or display:none if you don't want them to take up space when they're not visible)?

Rukbat, Jun 16, 2012 IP