1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

htaccess wordpress is causing problems with directory security

Discussion in 'Apache' started by mbressman, Mar 15, 2011.

I'm on a shared hosting provider (that provides me with cPanel), and have recently installed WordPress in my root public_html directory. As a result, my .htaccess has been modified with the following code:

# BEGIN WordPress
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteRule ^index\.php$ - [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
    </IfModule>

# END WordPress

This seems to have broken directory security, as I have a directory that I secured using the "Password Protect Directories" options in cPanel. It seems that when you do this, the directory is hidden from view and only accessible if typed directly...and this is causing the above entries in htaccess to not see that directory (I think) and therefore pass me on to WordPress for a 404 error. Any way to fix this? (I might be wrong on my assumption above, but I am definitely sure that if I un-password protect the directory, I can access it, and when I re-password protect it, I can't access it anymore and get a WordPress 404 error). Thanks for any help!!

- Marc

mbressman, Mar 15, 2011 IP