1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

.htaccess at godaddy

Discussion in 'Apache' started by WhatiFind, Mar 4, 2005.

I have a small problem, I'm using the biz-directory script, I found a rewrite module for .htaccess so the urls are rewritten to /1.php, /2.php and so on.
    Got things working until I moved the site to a godaddy account. Here is the .htaccess code:
    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteRule ^([0-9]+).php$ index.php?c=$1& [L]
    RewriteRule ^([0-9]+)add.php$ add_url.php?c=$1& [L]  
    Code (markup):
    So I contacted godaddy support about this problem and they told me this:
    I don't quite get this, now I know the servers path but how do I put this into .htaccess and get it to work?
    Did various searches around the internet for tutorials or examples but I didn't found anything that solves my problem.

Does any one has experience with using .htaccess/mod_rewrite at godaddy accounts or knows how to solve this problem?

WhatiFind, Mar 4, 2005 IP
  2. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    If it worked previously, but not at godaddy, you are more than likely out of luck.

In order for rewrite rules to work in a virtual host directory, it needs to be configured with the "Options FileInfo" directive in apache.

If that is the response they gave you, they are not likely to change things for you.

nevetS, Mar 4, 2005 IP
  3. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    Nevet is right..GoDaddy will not make the necesary changes (I've gone down that road before)

yfs1, Mar 4, 2005 IP
  4. digital01101

digital01101 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a big problem with godaddy hosting
    I put .htaccess file and it blocked access for every type of file(jpg,txt,html..etc) but it didnt block access for .php files and I dont understand why

The same htaccess I put it on different ather hosts(I tried 5 hosts...my friends hosts) and there it blocked everything(php files too)

Support from godady said that they cant help me with this problem

AuthUserFile ................../htaccess

AuthName "mypage"
    AuthType Basic
    <Limit GET POST>
    order allow,deny
    allow from all
    deny from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    </Limit>

I also tried this

AuthUserFile ........................../htaccess

AuthName "mypage"
    AuthType Basic
    <Limit GET POST>
    <Files ~ "^.*\.([Pp][Hh][Pp])">
    order allow,deny
    allow from all
    deny from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    </Files>
    </Limit>

It blocks access for every type of file but not for .php files

I also tried

<Files ~ "^.*\.(PHP|php)">

The same problem...can you try this on your godaddy account and tell me if U have the same problem with php files?

Godaddy support says the same thing :we cant help u with this :eek:
    If they can help me with this simple thing why give money to them when on
    ather hosts this is working fine and a lot of ather weird problems that I have on godaddy I dont have on ather hosts

digital01101, Apr 25, 2005 IP
  5. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    Its public knowledge that GoDaddy won't support what you are looking to do. Furthermore, they will tell you that flat out from the begginning whether you are a customer or not.

This is the comprimise to have dirt cheap hosting. This doesn't mean they suck. It just means they are after a certain market.

I personally host some of my simple sites with them and couldn't be happier. My other sites I pay more for hosting and get the attention they need.

Thats what I would suggest in this situation rather than blaming them.

yfs1, Apr 26, 2005 IP
  6. WhatiFind

WhatiFind offline

Best Answers:
    The one thing that I kept seeing was you have to put up something like this in order to make it work: (in your .htacces)
    replace a/c/c/ with the first 3 letters of your account and replace accountname with your accountname.

I have learned that you cannot 'force' the servers of godaddy to do something with .htaccess and Godaddy will not change anything.

Well that's the price you have to pay with cheap hosting. I have one site hosted there and it's working fine.

WhatiFind, Apr 26, 2005 IP
  7. shanX

shanX Peon

Best Answers:
    Thread bump :p

Seems like Gocrappy servers aren't passing on htaccess variables(([0-9]+), (.+)) :(

And they havent fixed it from 2005 :O

Has anyone got alternative solutions other than switching host??

shanX, Sep 15, 2007 IP
  8. ForumJoiner

ForumJoiner Active Member

Best Answers:
    A question for all who encountered issues with .htaccess and GoDaddy: do you have multiple domains on the same hosting plan?

For instance, I couldn't make phpLD working with SEO names on domains that are hosted toghether, on the same account, but on separate folders, but I managed to make phpLD work just fine with domains that were pointed to the root of the hosting account.

I suspect that, in the first case, I didn't set-up properly RewriteBase in .htaccess, that's why it didn't work. I still don't know where to point that RewriteBase, and the logs I can see do not help me (I need the rewrite.log, which GoDaddy can't offer me).

ForumJoiner, Nov 3, 2007 IP
  9. login

login Notable Member

Best Answers:
    The problem with godaddy is that they dont support many things that are not 100% standard. Choose another host.

login, Feb 3, 2008 IP
  10. Yankee85

Yankee85 Peon

Best Answers:
    I wanted to buy GoDady hosting, but it seems that there are too many problems... :(

Yankee85, May 8, 2008 IP
  11. ForumJoiner

Best Answers:
    Some things improved at GoDaddy. For instance, now I can run WordPress and Drupal without any problems (which didn't happen on the past).

It's important to know that if you create a .htacces in a folder, this file will be interpreted (taken into consideration by your program) within the next hour (not instantly). After understanding this, many problems were solved easily.

ForumJoiner, May 9, 2008 IP
  12. shanX

shanX Peon

Best Answers:
    I got a shared hosting account with Godaddy sometime back, I tried a script on it and had few issues along with the issue I have posted above. So I moved onto another. Later on, I uploaded the same script to a Godaddy dedicated hosting account for a client, it worked as expected. In that case I had to use RewriteBase on htaccess files, everything else worked fine. Seems like they have different configurations for different. But these kind of stuff are expected as standard ;)

shanX, May 9, 2008 IP
  13. ecafe

ecafe Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ecafe, May 27, 2008 IP
  14. johno123

johno123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hello, i recently setup this site and am having some problems with mod rewrite. Basically, i need someones help to have a look at my file and let me know how i can fix it to make this site work properly. I know how the site is supposed to function. Because i have seen it running on another hosting account. So i know it is something simple. But i do not have a clue.

This is what my htaccess file consists of.

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteRule ^zoom/(.*)/(.*)/$ zoom.php?id=$1&name=$2 [L,NC]
    RewriteRule ^([0-9]*)/(.*)\.html$ ./../album.php?id=$1&name=$2 [L,NC]

Now where my issue lies is on the zoom.php line command. Click here to see what happens when you try and zoom in on a wallpaper.

It takes you to a "No input file specified" error page..

Originally when i set it up i had same error with the album.php command as well. and i added ./../ to the line and it worked. I tried the same with the zoom.php line but no luck.

Maybe somone could help out?

I have this same error when viewing the profiles of a user at this site.

johno123, May 31, 2008 IP
  15. ForumJoiner

Best Answers:
    If the script you use is free (or is no secret), please send me a link to it. I have a GoDaddy account, and I can test it and see what to do to make it work.

ForumJoiner, May 31, 2008 IP
  16. armybase

armybase Peon

Best Answers:
    does anyone has some problems with 301 redirect at godaddy hosting ?

armybase, Feb 28, 2009 IP
  17. gduncan

gduncan Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you very much for this tidbit!

I recently discovered that my .htaccess was lost when I switched hosts and when I uploaded a new one, notthing changed. I now have hoped that its been cached and I just have to wait a bit before I'll be able to test it.

gduncan, Apr 8, 2009 IP
  18. gduncan

gduncan Peon

Best Answers:
    It looks like I got my issues resolved, so no, I'm not having any problems with 301 redirects on GoDaddy. I'm just doing the basic redirects to avoid duplicate content.

Here's a sample of what I used.

RewriteEngine on
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www\.domainname.com
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.domainname.com/$1 [R=301,L]
    RewriteCond %{THE_REQUEST} ^GET\ .*/index\.(php|html)\ HTTP
    RewriteRule ^(.*)index\.(php|html)$ /$1 [R=301,L]

gduncan, Apr 8, 2009 IP