1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How wil google identify me with just my phone number?

Discussion in 'Google' started by JEET, Oct 23, 2020.

How wil google identify me with just my phone number?

I have a few email accounts with gmail. I create a different one for some websites like
    I do this because most of the times emails sent from shared servers get rejected by gmail. Do not even land in spam. Just plain rejected...

I haven't logged in to one of those accounts for a while, and today when I logged in, google asked me for the alternate email.
    I entered that.

Then on next page google says,
    "We want to make sure its you who owns this account", enter phone number.

Since I have never entered my phone number in that account,
    so how will google know its me, using a new phone number?

Anybody hacking can enter their phone, verify the account, login and do anything they want.

Then when real me goes to login, google will send code to that phone which hacker entered, and will lock me out of my own account...

What right does google has to ask me for my phone number?
    That too "forced" asking?

If I want to enter a number, I will do it by my own choice. Why is google force stopping login?
    I could have some important emails there.
    I already verified my alternate email.
    Could even click a link sent to that one.
    Why phone number?

There is a button "try another way" at bottom. But its just for show. Nothing happens. Comes back to same "enter phone" page...

Why are all these websites forcing things on us?
    Its becoming too much now.

Everyone seems to be imposing something or the other and we the users are supposed to silently follow orders...

JEET, Oct 23, 2020 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  2. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    ^^^I've been thinking this for awhile now. What you have done is to put my thoughts into print, thanks for that.:)

Spoiltdiva, Oct 23, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  3. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @Spoiltdiva
    Its everywhere, from as small as "forced browser update" to giving personal data like phone numbers for no real reason.

Twitter will not serve their main website on IE 11, and I cannot see anything special twitter is doing which IE 11 cannot process.
    But they are "forcing" us to download some third party browser, instead of the default browser in my windows installation.

Somebody posted a thread here on this forum, they said that google analytics is reporting the percentage of male and female visitors to their website.
    Now, I cannot assume any method using which google can classify website visitor as male or female using just their IP, can they?
    I found a page where google says that they are using cookies set on youtube to share info between google's own different websites, on chrome.
    I was under the impression that cookie set on domain.com can only be read by domain.com
    Now chrome is sharing that data with other domains, including your personal chrome profile data.
    https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2799357?hl=en

They are literally saying that your "chrome profile" info is getting shared with any website owner who has put analytics code on their websites...
    What a secure browser!!!

These days website owners have to tell people that their websites are using cookies.
    There should be a law, give a nice major alert warning to user, in the center of your webpage, with a hanging skeleton graphic, if your website has analytics code...

JEET, Oct 24, 2020 IP
    mmerlinn and Spoiltdiva like this.
  4. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not surprised. Recently I heard from an old friend with whom I grew up in Virginia nearly 70 years ago. We had not spoken or been in contact all that time. So he asked an FBI friend of his if he could find me, knowing only my first and last name and that I had lived in that city in Virginia 7 decades ago. Voila! The FBI guy found me in no time flat and gave my friend my email! And I have a pretty common name. Privacy? Forget it!

P.S. But I was very happy to hear from the old friend.

Jim4767, Oct 26, 2020 IP
    mmerlinn and JEET like this.
  5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I'm not surprised the FBI could find you
    I am surprised the officer did a search without cause - in NZ you'd be fired for that
    and I'm even more surprised that he handed out the info obtained in his search.

I'm glad you're pleased to hear from the friend, but what if he'd been stalking an old love interest who had moved away specifically to get away?

sarahk, Oct 26, 2020 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  6. HramI

HramI Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I mean it's not even closely to the topic of a thread.

Google doesn't care about your privacy, same with FB listening to your mic, same with everything. But if you are a common person, no one really cares about your mic, your gmail and your google search.

HramI, Oct 27, 2020 IP
  7. Spoiltdiva

Spoiltdiva Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    You're not getting the point here......*WE* care!

Spoiltdiva, Oct 27, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  8. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Hmm, very interesting point. I hadn't thought of that. But wow, it sure shows how much Big Brother knows about us.

Jim4767, Oct 27, 2020 IP
    Spoiltdiva and JEET like this.
  9. HramI

HramI Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yes, no doubt. But the progress kinda kills it all, and we need to decide whether to progress and lose our privacy, or stop on one point, which is impossible. I mean @Jim4767 can prove this point. With technologies and Internet developments we became less secured.

HramI, Oct 27, 2020 IP
  10. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @HramI
    Like @Spoiltdiva said, "we care".
    Read the analytics link I posted above.
    Google is using our logged in chrome profile info, and sending a formatted form of that data to every webmaster who uses analytics on their website.
    This is what is made public by google. Imagine the things they are sharing with their advertisers about you.

About fb listening to our mic, someone else also told me this once, I did not paid attention.
    I am really going to throw that thing out of my phone now, and all of their products. messanger, whatsapp, instagram, and fb itself.
    Not only has it lost its personal and business value for me, but they are even spying on me now?
    This is beyond anything acceptable.

JEET, Oct 27, 2020 IP
    Spoiltdiva likes this.
  11. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    @HramI
    Progress is different, spying is different.
    There is no need for google and facebook to collect our personal data, except for their own progress.
    Where is the progress in there for me?
    We can use internet without those "mic listening" and "phone number collection" as well, and can use it very well too.

JEET, Oct 27, 2020 IP
  12. HramI

HramI Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    @JEET You've got in the point. I totally agree with everything you said.
    I wish it has no use in our everyday life, those spyings and personal data collections.

HramI, Oct 28, 2020 IP
    JEET likes this.
  13. cdawson6887

cdawson6887 Member

Best Answers:
    I get what you're saying and agree that it is sketchy. One good thing about it that has saved me (someone who has multiple gmail accounts and idk why I have so many), I forget the passwords all the time and using my phone I can easily change them rather than having to change the password another way.

cdawson6887, Nov 6, 2020 IP
  14. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I change them using alternate email ID. That is also ok.
    Still the question, why asking phone number at login time. It could easily be someone else logging in, and can lock my account..
    Plus, I already provided my alternate email and confirmed it. Why bugging me more...

JEET, Nov 7, 2020 IP
    cdawson6887 likes this.