1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How was your Halloween?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by jrbiz, Nov 1, 2015.

Hi,

We had a great time giving out treats last night. Both of my kids are too old to go out, themselves, but the four of us and the dog sure enjoyed answering the door and disbursing the treats. Note that we live in a very well-lit neighborhood with a lot of kids and we have noted over the years that many parents drive up with vans to drop off kids from outside the neighborhood. It was a Saturday and the weather was perfect, so we knew that there would be a big showing by the kids. Also, we give out one full-sized candy bar per kid (instead of the smaller treats that most give out) so we are always a happy surprise for some kids and quite a few of them comment that they make sure to hit our house based on their previous years' experience. Here are the final statistics:

First kid at door: 6:00pm

Last kid at door: 7:55pm

Best Costume: a young guy, probably 15-16 years old, dressed in a full Harlequin outfit. It looked great! There were several honorable mentions, of course. Supergirl seemed to be quite popular with some of the younger ladies.

Total kids/candy bars given out: 140!

This was our biggest year ever, in terms of kids at the door. Would love to hear your stats, as well!

jrbiz, Nov 1, 2015 IP
  2. bojan92

bojan92 Guest

Best Answers:
    Well the odd part is that even i can answer that and i am not even from USA. Fact is that Halloween is going global i can not beleive how many people decide to celebrate it. But it was fun candy for the little ones and also us bachleroes got some candy too , cant argue with candy. :p
    It was amazing mate tnx for asking.

bojan92, Nov 1, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  3. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Halloween started in Europe, I think. :)

I have a slight update on the total counts I posted. My wife updated me after I posted this morning. Apparently, three more trick-or-treaters came by at a record 10:30pm last night. My wife was up waiting for our daughter to return from a party and was surprised to answer the door that late at night. I don't think that we have ever had a visitor after 8:30pm previously.

jrbiz, Nov 1, 2015 IP
    bojan92 likes this.
  4. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I saw a facebook post about how when you dress up for Halloween you shouldn't appropriate someone else's culture. Thought that would mean American's will be pissed at other countries celebrating it and thereby appropriating American culture. I don't really get why people dress up "off theme" as nurses, oreos, cartoon characters etc. If you want to dress up just host a fancy dress party.

Nobody came to our door but we were ready... I sent a bunch of 16yo kids out and they were happy with their stash. I'm not a fan but this year it appeared to be local kids doing the rounds and all had made an effort. A few years back the door knockers weren't local and weren't dressed up which seemed a bit off.

sarahk, Nov 1, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  5. rsrikanth05

rsrikanth05 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    People tried to celebrate Halloween in our area, mostly because all the clothing companies and all are trying to market it. Something like Valentines Day in the late 1990s when Greeting Card cos made it a huge thing.
    I personally didn't bother, I was busy with work.

rsrikanth05, Nov 1, 2015 IP
    jrbiz likes this.
  6. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    My understanding is that Halloween originated in Ireland and is based on traditions that go way back in human history. We Americans may make the most noise about it, but we did not start the tradition. I also believe that here in the U.S., it is the time that the most candy is purchased throughout the year, so it is a big bucks operation for many retailers.

My wife has some concerns about it because of the folks dressing up as demons, witches, devils, murderers, etc., but most of the costumes are quite innocuous. My kids never dressed up as anything but positive superheroes, princesses, etc., and they had a lot of fun with it. They would often wear the costumes at play for weeks before and after to get full enjoyment from them. Much like many of our holidays, it has been commercialized, sanitized, etc., and no longer really resonates for the reasons that it was originally established (to honor dead relatives, I believe.)

It ends up being a chance to make a bunch of kids happy, see some neighbors that we have not seen in a while, etc. A fun event with little negative overtones, except for massive sugar consumption and potential tooth decay. :)

jrbiz, Nov 2, 2015 IP
  7. Vitarank

Vitarank Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    We do not celebrate Halloween in here, but me and my friends decided to throw our "own" complete with costumes :) Note that we are working adults, we do not do it for the candies ;) It was an alcohol filled night and we party like there's no tomorrow :)

We all got wasted and had a really bad headache/hangover the morning we wake up (today) and we have to go to our respective jobs. Good for me, I work on a night shift, I have an ample amount of time to be fully sober :)

Vitarank, Nov 2, 2015 IP
    sarahk and jrbiz like this.
  8. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    LOL, now that is a Halloween celebration! There are many, many such adult Halloween parties here in the U.S., as well. My wife and I went to one many years ago on Halloween at an old Victorian mansion in Salem, MA that friends of ours were renting. At the time, there was a big scandal involving a televangelist and his wife (Jim and Tammy Faye Baker) so we went as them. He had just been arrested, so I went in handcuffs along with the celebrity masks we wore. My wife was trick-or-treating for bail money as part of the act. It was a wild place to be! The streets were filled with ghouls, goblins and witches and the venue, itself, was really spooky. We had a lot of fun and, of course, alcohol and food were abundant.

jrbiz, Nov 2, 2015 IP
    sarahk likes this.