1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How URL shortner KILLED my SEO

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by elgolden, Jan 27, 2016.

Hi guys

I used to have normal domain then I bought a 2 letters domain and installed URL shortner to use it so i get advantage of both short url and prestigious name.

I installed Premium URL Shortner on root/u and wordpress on /news and configured the .htaccess so all links will become (xy.z/short) and will redirect to xy.z/news/article

The results ?!

- Google saved all my links as the short one and killed the link (seo-titled-article.html) pages !
    - Webmaster tools dont accept page builder because the Wordpress is not on root but on /news
    - Wordpress ranking the TAGS links higher the articles themselves because both are sub folders /news/tags and /news/articles.html

As a result, i now have to move back to the long domain and keep the 2 letters domain to be used as shortner only ... wasted thousands of usd :(

Any expert have inputs on this ?

Thanks

elgolden, Jan 27, 2016 IP
  2. na9endra

na9endra Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Generally URL Shorter's help us provide statistical information on websites traffic and the performance of a marketing campaigns.

but in most of social networks (mainly in facebook, and google plus)the items which are posted using url shortners is having less engagement compared to having a domain related link.

i think this might be the one and strong reason for your experience....

na9endra, Feb 3, 2016 IP
  3. iwebsocial

iwebsocial Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is the main drawback of using url shortener because its really hurt your SEO.

iwebsocial, Feb 5, 2016 IP