1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How To: Write for the web

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by RuDeDoGg, Jul 5, 2006.

Check it out, it's a new article I just got done writing. I think a lot of AdSense publishers don't know how to write for the web. Theres a HUGE difference between writing for the web, and writing for print. Copying Wikipedia articles doesn't work! :p

Writing content and articles for the web

Digg: Digg It!
    Shoutwire: Shout It!

RuDeDoGg, Jul 5, 2006 IP
  2. energydude

energydude Peon

Best Answers:
    Dude,

Great article. I found it to be exactly what you say writing for the web should be. I "dugg" it...no literally! :)

Tom Z.
    http://www.energyrefuge.com

energydude, Jul 5, 2006 IP
  3. Danny

Danny Active Member

Best Answers:
    Looks like a good link, Havent read it yet but cheers

Danny, Jul 5, 2006 IP
  4. RuDeDoGg

RuDeDoGg Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the compliments you two :) I read all the information today before I wrote the article, and wow! I had no idea how to write for the web. I think my earnings and return visitors will definately improve from it.

RuDeDoGg, Jul 5, 2006 IP
  5. Padme

Padme Peon

Best Answers:
    Great article. I agree that writing for the web is actually very different than writing for print. Awsome information in your article RuDeDoGg, every web content writer should have that information in mind ;)

Padme, Jul 7, 2006 IP
  6. RRWH

RRWH Active Member

Best Answers:
    A good draft!

but with ....

Your word didn't make "Since" to me.

RRWH, Jul 7, 2006 IP
  7. odradek

odradek Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi!

Even thought this was quite familiar for me, article was good and it had same "touch" as what it was all about, simple and easy to read. :)

So yes... I 'digg it'.

odradek, Jul 7, 2006 IP
  8. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Nice article. I just forwarded the link to my Technology writers at Suite101 to have them take a look (the style we obviously want them writing in), and I passed it along to the other Suite101 Editors so they could share it with their writers if they'd like.

Jenn

jhmattern, Jul 8, 2006 IP
  9. axemedia

axemedia Guest

Best Answers:
    You neglected to mention keywords and key phrases. This is vastly important for web based content.

Think about the keywords and phrases surfers are likely to use in a search engine to find your article. Then make certain to use those specific phrases in the article. Add them to any headings and sub headings. Sprinkle them throughout the text. But do not over do it, as it will turn off your readers and may look like keyword spam to search engine bots that crawl the page.

In places where you might normally use a word like "the", or "it", in reference to a keyword previously mentioned, throw in that keyword. Do it just slightly more than you would write naturally. I say "slightly more" just so you get a few more occurences of the exact keyphrase in there without it sounding too contrived.

Write your article first, then think about the keywords and look for the ones that you already have in there. Then go back and reword headings and subheadings with those keywords and phrases, then look for a few more places in the body of text where you could "stuff" it in a few more times.

Or begin with keywords and phrases you have researched. Then write your article around them.

axemedia, Jul 9, 2006 IP
  10. slloyd

slloyd Peon

Best Answers:
    If only my clients would get that. They think they can just hire a writer -- any writer -- to do the work. They don't see the huge difference. It drives me nuts!

Good article, but I agree with axemedia. You need to include keywords/keyword phrases.

slloyd, Jul 9, 2006 IP
  11. NewBeing

NewBeing Guest

Best Answers:
    NewBeing, Jul 9, 2006 IP
  12. marcel

marcel Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    nice article

marcel, Jul 10, 2006 IP
  13. old_expat

old_expat Peon

Best Answers:
    Proof read. Every time you edit text, start at the beginning and read the entire article.

old_expat, Jul 11, 2006 IP
  14. ares82

ares82 Peon

Best Answers:
    I've been writing content for the web for quite a while now. In fact, its now my full time business and I hire many writers.

We found the best response we get from content sites and Adsense is keeping articles around 350 words and use a lot of headings and dot points if you write more then that.

ares82, Jul 12, 2006 IP
  15. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Good read, thanks. A lot of those points apply to any kind of writing and I wish people would pay attention to them more.

MattUK, Jul 12, 2006 IP
  16. alexis

alexis Peon

Best Answers:
    A nice read, but the couple of typos here and there in an article about writing didn't look too well :)

alexis, Jul 12, 2006 IP
  17. rubeina

rubeina Invisible Staff Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    How you know it's 25% any proof? :D

Nice read really, thank you :)

rubeina, Jul 12, 2006 IP
  18. infonote

infonote Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    From where did you get that statistic? 25%

infonote, Jul 13, 2006 IP
  19. old_expat

old_expat Peon

Best Answers:
    When you have a subject that just can't be adequately covered in that approximate wordcount, do you go to multiple pages or organize it by subtopics .. and what is the result of each method?

old_expat, Jul 13, 2006 IP
  20. old_expat

old_expat Peon

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't say it's "huge".

A good writer for print can adapt to the web easier than a terrible writer can learn to write good copy, IMO.

Also, I wonder if the comment from http://www.useit.com/alertbox/9710a.html Tells the whole story.

Consider this part:

My method, if I am in a hurry, is to scan a page then bookmark it for a detailed read when I have time. If a page looks too skimpy, I usually won't go back. Why should I?

And while I can only speak for my own behavior, I will seldom click a link or ad in a superficial article, or an article with with questionable credibility. I will usually go back to the SE.

old_expat, Jul 13, 2006 IP