1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to value a site?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by My220x, Jan 11, 2010.

Hi,

I have a site which has been up since the 5th of January 2010 and has made me £1.35 from Adsense and gets around 100 unique visitors each day and has enough content scheduled to last for 2 months. How much would this site be worth?

My220x, Jan 11, 2010 IP
  2. simstar

simstar Peon

Best Answers:
    its been up for 6 days? that's not credible at all.

whats the design/content like? would it cost a lot to produce and does it have REAL potential to earn in the future.

Based on the facts you have given so far I would say it's worth $10? aka nothing?

simstar, Jan 11, 2010 IP
  3. My220x

My220x Member

Best Answers:
    Didn't cost a lot to produce but seeing you said $10 I think I will wait and see how it goes.

My220x, Jan 11, 2010 IP
  4. simstar

simstar Peon

Best Answers:
    I would wait for at least a 3 months before considering to sell. The value will go up considerably if you maintain the statistics you have given for the last 5 days.

simstar, Jan 11, 2010 IP
  5. Codythebest

Codythebest Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It's what a seller is willing to sell it for and what a buyer is willing to pay for it.
    I sell and buy sites for 3 month of NET revenue...

Codythebest, Jan 11, 2010 IP
  6. My220x

My220x Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah I will wait, I was just interested in how much it would be worth now so I could get a rough estimate if I sold it in the future.

My220x, Jan 11, 2010 IP
  7. VarriaStudios

VarriaStudios Member

Best Answers:
    simstar he/she could easily made 25 per click on a 10 invest budget

keyword researched...

VarriaStudios, Jan 11, 2010 IP
  8. mentos

mentos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    New site is very hard to determine it worth.
    If you have enough backlink and PR then its more worth.
    Coz now day buyer always look for at least 6 month average earning to determine the site total worth.

mentos, Jan 11, 2010 IP
  9. Merkersarl

Merkersarl Peon

Best Answers:
    For a sitethat's six days old you're looking at someone pricing it less for the revenue and more for the domain and template i.e. comparing against how much it would cost him to create himself. Generally, that's not going to be very much if you even find someone willing to buy.

Merkersarl, Jan 12, 2010 IP
  10. simstar

simstar Peon

Best Answers:
    sorry I don't follow the 25 per click on a 10 invest budget?

simstar, Jan 12, 2010 IP
  11. e8j1osla

e8j1osla Active Member

Best Answers:
    I came across with this site it can calculate the value of a website throught PR, UV per month, etc... www.websiteoutlook.com

e8j1osla, Jan 12, 2010 IP
  12. Looks4U

Looks4U Peon

Best Answers:
    The site will be valued based on the earnings potential multipled by a factor that takes into account life of site etc. Even a site thats been trading for 3 months has a minimal value if in month 4 or 6 or 9 it is unable to sustain its income!

Looks4U, Jan 12, 2010 IP
  13. nEquity

nEquity Member

Best Answers:
    Its a good start. But the site has only been up for something like 10 days nearly, so its high high risk, that is no proven track record. Therefore, expect it to be a significantly low value . Rather build the site up yourself and consider selling after that.

nEquity, Jan 13, 2010 IP
  14. Ascendancy

Ascendancy Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would value it by # of visitors daily, Alexa and PR hold some value but I doubt you have much with the time it's been up

Ascendancy, Jan 13, 2010 IP
  15. tangyi

tangyi Peon

Best Answers:
    I remember that there is a SEO site which offer a service that evaluate your site's value in $.
    But since you just own a new one, try to get it booming first with impressive content and high-classed links.

tangyi, Jan 13, 2010 IP
  16. zntow2000

zntow2000 Member

Best Answers:
    If you can afford to spend the $20 for a listing at Flippa you can find out how much it is worth by setting a very high reserve price............

zntow2000, Jan 16, 2010 IP
  17. Makow

Makow Peon

Best Answers:
    First, let your website run for at least one year. Then, determine your net income p/m (excluding expenses) and multiply by 10 to 12 months. That should be the value for your site.

Makow, Jan 16, 2010 IP
  18. w3bmaster

w3bmaster Notable Member

Best Answers:
    New site is value low

Mostly you can sale a site based on his revenue monthly (based on past months) bonuses for good rankings ...

w3bmaster, Jan 16, 2010 IP
  19. Oberon

Oberon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A word of warning from someone who is familiar with this. It takes a lot of work to build the kind of organic traffic that will make you even $20/month with Google AdSense. (I'm talking about real search engine organic traffic, not the dubious traffic that you can buy cheaply.)

Having poured your heart and soul into a website, you will subsequently find that you can typically only sell it for 10X its monthly revenue at best. This price will not be consistent with the number of hours you spent slaving away on your website and promoting it.

This sucks, because judging a website by its monthly revenue is unfair, since the website could generate a lot of income if purchased by someone who will then use it to promote an income-producing business (assuming the website being purchased has decent traffic).

Of course you could get lucky and you might create a website that a wealthy buyer wants at all costs, in which case you make your price and everyone is happy. Unfortunately this sort of thing was only possible during the boom; those days are over.

On a per-hour basis, you will make A LOT more money as a writer for hire. If you write your own content and use it to build a blog or a website, you will never be paid as much as when you are writing for a specific client.

My case: I recently took a website off the market that I had been trying to sell. There was a lot of interest, but no one was able to pay the figure I wanted. This website's traffic is growing. Why would I want to give this wonderful asset to a low-baller? I'll keep it until things improve. (It will take years for things to "improve".)

I also realized that I am better off keeping it regardless of how much I am offered, but that is another story.

So, should you go ahead and develop your website? If your ONLY purpose is to sell it, I am telling you now that no one will ever pay for all the hours you put into it, unless you manage to make it earn enough money to justify that kind of price, in which case you would not want to sell it anyway!

On the other hand, if you want to turn this website into an income-earner that you want to KEEP, by all means go ahead. Focus on building a lot of quality content, getting traffic and monetizing that traffic (AdSense is only a tiny slice of the pie).

There is probably more detail in my reply than you asked for, but I wanted to tell you what things look like when you are three years into a developed website that is successful and that everyone thinks they can buy for a low price.

Oberon, Jan 17, 2010 IP
    ludwig likes this.
  20. Merkersarl

Merkersarl Peon

Best Answers:
    Excellent post, Oberon.

Too many webmasters forget to account for the time they've put into a project. They think they are making a profit when they've made less than the local minimum wage (if calculated on an hourly basis). That said, 10x monthly is the figure that lower quality sites get. An established, content rich, hands-free site can go for 60x or more.

This is something I don't agree with. Lots of sellers think their sites are worth millions. But their own opinion doesn't matter. It is the market that decides. If a lot of people are competiting to bid for your site in an open marketplace and the bidding doesn't exceed 10x then that's what the site is worth.

Merkersarl, Jan 17, 2010 IP