1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to use DMOZ files to create a directory

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by YoByte, Jul 19, 2005.

How to use DMOZ files to create a directory?

I have downloaded those files from DMOZ website....how to use those files to create my own directory service.....

YoByte

YoByte, Jul 19, 2005 IP
  2. Alucard

Alucard Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi YoByte,

There are a bunch of utilities that can be used with the ODP data. Here is a resource for some of them: ODP Data Tools

Another reference would be: Need program to parse odp

And yet more reading at ODP Help in the section titled "Add ODP Data to Your Site"

I have no doubt that there are others and that others who have built something similar can give you some good advice as to which work the best.

Hope this helps,
    Alucard

Alucard, Jul 19, 2005 IP
  3. I. Brian

I. Brian Business consultant

Best Answers:
    I. Brian, Jul 19, 2005 IP
  4. Googles76

Googles76 Peon

Best Answers:
    Be carefull when choosing a script to use. Some scripts are more search engine friendly than others. Do your reasearch and find examples of sites using a script that you want to use and see if they have their ODP data indexed in Google - if of course that is what you want.

Googles76, Jul 19, 2005 IP
  5. dpakman91

dpakman91 Banned

Best Answers:
    actually, can someone post a step by step from the beginning guide to how to get set up with the ODP data in the first place, and what ahs to be done to get everything up and running from step 1?

that would be great for some of us who have no idea

dpakman91, Jul 19, 2005 IP
  6. I. Brian

I. Brian Business consultant

Best Answers:
    Well...download one of the script and play with a set-up - a number of them will deal with all the data so you don't have to ever touch the ODP RDF dump itself..

I. Brian, Jul 19, 2005 IP
  7. dvduval

dvduval Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I'll be working on providing a method on my directory script shortly. I think it is important to find ways to make it "different" than others, and be able to only use parts of ODP. If you just have a copy out there, I have a feeling duplicate content filters pretty much make having close to worthless.

dvduval, Jul 19, 2005 IP
  8. Googles76

Googles76 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well when you downloaded the script your want to use just extract all the files that come with it - except the readme.txt to a folder on your server. Most scripts will have the file index.php which works similar to your website's index page. The server will use index.php by default as the page to load. If a script does not have that file than I suggest your pick a different script if you dont want to go through the headache of modifying it yourself.

I personally recommend http://www.dominion-web.com/products/dwodp_live/ this script to use. Than you can modify the template files to change the look of the directory to suit your website.

Googles76, Jul 19, 2005 IP