1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to use a UK laptop in the US?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mistermix, Feb 1, 2007.

i'm going to american very very soon and I need to know if I can use my laptop there. What do i need?

mistermix, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  2. ahkip

ahkip Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    ahkip, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  3. klown

klown Peon

Best Answers:
    Is it a new laptop or not? You shouldn't have any problems except power issues with much older laptops. Thats if the UK doesn't us 110 alternating, im not sure what they use though. I don't think there are any other issues except perhaps DVD location settings..

klown, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  4. mistermix

mistermix Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the link. Serves me right for dong 20 searches all on google!

Reading it now.

Its a new laptop and its power supply I am concerned about. We use 240v but I read something about laptops having a dual voltage adapter. I dont know.

5. klown

klown Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah you don't have to worry about that i think.. my laptop(bought in the USA 2 weeks ago) works fine here in china and we use 220 here.

klown, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  6. mistermix

mistermix Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hows life in China? are you just on a trip or have you moved?

7. klown

klown Peon

Best Answers:
    klown, Feb 1, 2007 IP
  8. GlobalGamingNews

GlobalGamingNews Banned

Best Answers:
    Right. The voltage doesn't matter because the adapter built into your power cable is designed to manage multiple current strengths. Mine covers 100-240V. I suspect yours is the same.

The only question then is the plug type. The US uses Type A and Type B plug heads. I'm not sure which you use. If it is something different, then you will have two options.

1. Simply buy an adapter that you plug into the wall and then plug your laptop power cable into the adapter. You can get these at Best Buy, or at most any airport.

2. Buy a new power cable for your laptop that has a Type A plug head. You should be able to get this at most any computer store once you arrive.

GlobalGamingNews, Feb 2, 2007 IP
  9. mistermix

mistermix Active Member

Best Answers:
    A very thorough answer, thanks. So the power supply problem is sorted, I will just buy an adapter when I get there.

Are there any problems with taking a laptop as carry on baggage without a case?

mistermix, Feb 2, 2007 IP
  10. GlobalGamingNews

GlobalGamingNews Banned

Best Answers:
    I have never had a problem with it. The Asian countries I am in now only allow one carry on, but they do not count a laptop as that, so I can carry on one laptop + my carry on.

I do not know about UK airports, but in the US they usually want you to take it out of the case and run it through the machine, the same as your luggage. It's really no big deal though. I've done it many dozens of times and never had it cause me any problems.

I also once had them do the cotton swab on my zipper to test for explosive residue, so I guess they are expecting some nut to hide explosives inside the laptop.

Anyway, to answer the question, you should have no problem at all taking it as a carry on. Particularly on a flight that long, it will at least give you something to do.

--

Yes, you'll definitely need some kind of adapter though. I would recommend trying to just get a new power cable for the laptop. Yours is probably in two sections - one that plugs into the laptop and ends with the converter. Then a second cord that goes from the converter to the wall. The second one is all you will need to replace. If you can't do this then a wall adapter will work fine. You can sometimes see them in the airport as a kit with several adapters to cover all plug types.

This site is a good resource for people who travel abroad a lot, or at least I have found it to be good.

http://www.kropla.com/electric2.htm

GlobalGamingNews, Feb 3, 2007 IP
  11. mistermix

mistermix Active Member

Best Answers:
    For some reason British Airways clearly states that only one carry on can be taken and a seperate laptop is not allowed. What if I get a big trash bag and put the laptop and my carry on case into it and wrap it up so its under the required measurements. That would count as one bag?

mistermix, Feb 3, 2007 IP
  12. GlobalGamingNews

GlobalGamingNews Banned

Best Answers:
    LOL. My guess is that if you get the largest bag allowed for carry on, you can fit your laptop inside with plenty of other stuff as well. I see people wheeling some pretty big bags onto airplanes. lol

GlobalGamingNews, Feb 4, 2007 IP
  13. smub

smub Notable Member

Best Answers:
    just use a stabilizer ... it have 220 and 110....

also tons of converters are out here.

smub, Feb 4, 2007 IP