1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to understand Gravity of a product in CB

Discussion in 'ClickBank' started by artofmaking, Nov 1, 2009.

What is gravity in clickbank. is it no, of sales generated or affiliates promoting it?

artofmaking, Nov 1, 2009 IP
  2. rtp06

rtp06 Peon

Best Answers:
    The number of different affiliates who have made a sale of that product recently. 1 affiliate can only raise the gravity by 1. This discussion comes up all of the time, to get a more detailed answer just search this forum for what is gravity.... or gravity vs popularity.

rtp06, Nov 1, 2009 IP
  3. Ripped

Ripped Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It represents the number of affiliates which have made at least 1 sale in the past 8 weeks.

So if the product has 100 gravity, it means that 100 different affiliates have made at least 1 sale in the past 8 weeks.

Gravity should be an important factor when choosing a product, but gravity doesn't mean for certain that the product will perform well for you. Lower gravity products can also be profitable, but it is harder to find the ones with low gravity, that will convert for you, whereas the higher gravity ones, are more or less proven to perform, however this also means that there's a fair amount of competition.

Ripped, Nov 1, 2009 IP
  4. alexa_s

alexa_s Peon

Best Answers:
    Well ... :confused:

Yes, perfectly true - if a product has a gravity of 100, then at least 100 affiliates have made a sale of it in the last 8 weeks. But it's not quite as simple as this (I appreciate that you're simplifying, Ripped, to give a succinct answer!).

Each affiliate's component of the total gravity score is "weighted" according to how recently in the 8 weeks it is. And the weighting is between 0.1 (smallest, least recent within the 8 weeks, i.e. nearly 8 weeks ago) and 1.0 (biggest, most recent within the 8 weeks). So a gravity of 100 can mean (and probably does mean) that far more than 100 affiliates have made a sale of the product, i.e. it's really competitive.

So - it's complicated.

However, the key points to understand are:-

(i) Gravity doesn't tell you anything about the conversion rate of the sales page

(ii) Gravity doesn't tell you much about the number of sales either: a product with a gravity of 20 or 30 can easily be making far more sales than one with a gravity of 200 or 300. This is actually common, though it's a bit counterintuitive, and many affiliates make the mistake of assuming that the higher gravity products "must" be the ones that are selling well. This may well not be the case at all, and often isn't. ;)

Yes indeed ... by a maximum of 1, and sometime he raises its current gravity only by 0.1, or 0.x, not by 1 at all (depending on how long it is since he sold a copy).

On the day he made his sale of the product, though, he raised it by 1. And his subsequent sales during the 8 week period don't affect the gravity any further than a fraction of a point, even if he sells 1,000 copies (as some affiliates with big lists do).

Last edited: Nov 1, 2009
    alexa_s, Nov 1, 2009 IP
    Faclez likes this.
  5. rtp06

rtp06 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes we understand this... I know exactly how it works... Here's a good answer..

When an affiliate makes a sale for the first time of a product, its gravity will go up by 1 point. For each day after that that this affiliate does not get a sale, that number will go down by a small decimal amount (I think its .06 or .04 or something).... and it will continue to drop daily until the affiliate makes another sale. When they do make another sale, the number will go back up to 1.

So like alexa said, if it has a gravity of 100, odds are a lot more than 100 affiliates have made a sale in the past 8 weeks, probably like 150 to 200

rtp06, Nov 1, 2009 IP
  6. alexa_s

alexa_s Peon

Best Answers:
    Exactly so.

They don't exactly make it easy for people to understand, do they. :confused: :rolleyes:

alexa_s, Nov 1, 2009 IP
  7. rtp06

rtp06 Peon

Best Answers:
    lol nope its the unforgivable gravity algorithm!! :)

rtp06, Nov 1, 2009 IP
  8. Ripped

Ripped Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The key here is not whether the product has high gravity, but whether the niche overall has high gravity and high interest. By "high gravity" niche I mean a niche which has several products that are performing well and making a large amount of sales. I've promoted a product that had huge gravity, didn't convert too well, but traffic was just too easy to get, and I made tons of sales.

The most important factor is how many sales you can make. How well it converts is not the key factor for me personally. Meaning, if there's a huge niche, for which you can get tons of traffic, and get some sales, I wouldn't care if it converts at a very high conversion rate, I would be happy if the product sells well, regardless of the conversion rate, because I probably wouldn't have to struggle to find traffic. Of course, if there are several products in the particular niche, it would be a good idea to split test them to see which one perform better.

Personally speaking, I have several products, one with one digit gravity, another one with a gravity of around 35, and my best performing one is 400 gravity. Have published many products, some of them I have sold but are still hanging very well on CB, I can tell you, from the data I've gathered from my products, the higher the gravity of the product, the better the product performed. Not speaking just as a vendor, but I mean performed well for the affiliates, and I've had more affiliates with double-digit sales per day with the higher gravity ones than with the lower gravity ones I've had.

However, by 'the higher the gravity the better it performs' I mean about products that I have in various niches. It is possible for a lower gravity product in the same niche to outperform a higher gravity one, but I'm saying that products with high gravity usually perform. And from my personal experience with higher gravity products/niches, I can tell that they really did perform. Lower gravity products also performed for me, but it was more of a hit-and-miss, some converted, some not so much, and the means of getting traffic was limited, visitors were harder to find.

My point is, when you see a niche that sells, and has numerous product with some decent gravity, that's a clear sign for me that the niche is profitable, and that the products in that niche probably perform. Yes, there is competition, but I believe that there is room for everyone, big niche = tons of keywords = many means of getting traffic, just need to be creative to get the sales rolling. As an affiliate, I'm not scared of the competition.

Ripped, Nov 1, 2009 IP
  9. evelinawilliams007

evelinawilliams007 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Gravity is nothing more than the number of affiliates that have made at least one sale within a week.

In my opinion a product's gravity will say something solid whenever it is maintained at 50 - 400 gravity for months or years..

Al.

evelinawilliams007, Nov 1, 2009 IP
  10. alexa_s

alexa_s Peon

Best Answers:
    Not only is that wrong, but it can immediately be seen to be wrong, in only a few seconds, by anyone interested, just by looking at the definition of Gravity on Clickbank's web site, here.

alexa_s, Nov 1, 2009 IP
  11. Ripped

Ripped Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's 8 weeks, not 1 week.

As far as the gravity maintained for a extended period of time, I agree, I mentioned the same point in my post above.

There are products such as 'Burn the fat feed the muscle' , it has around 100 gravity I think, and this product has been on CB since 2003, and it has maintained the gravity throughout the years. Same goes for products that are not as old, but still performing well, like Earth4energy, magic of making up, etc...

On the other hand, you can look at something like Water4gas, which had a gravity of almost 1000 at its peak and was one of the best converting products I've promoted, and now the gravity is down to 20 now, which shows us that the product has performed extremely well, but is not performing now, hence the huge gravity drop, and the current low gravity.

Ripped, Nov 1, 2009 IP
  12. scottysbody

scottysbody Active Member

Best Answers:
    For a thread about a topic that's been beat to death like a dead horse, there is some surprisingly GREAT information here.

Thanks guys and gals.

Scotty

scottysbody, Nov 2, 2009 IP
  13. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry to bump an old thread, but....

True.

But on the other end of the stick: The gravity is kept high, because the owner of the said product is always looking for fresh affiliates to replace the older ones, because they can't sell as many as they like.

Maybe?

I don't know. .. I'm just saying.

Maybe because he stopped trying to get affiliates, and the ones he had before have run out of free ways to get sales??? And the free ways they were using before dried up? Like, say, article marketing. You can write just so many articles on one subject.

Maybe?

Perry Rose, Apr 28, 2010 IP