1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to track "We heart it" links

Discussion in 'Google Analytics' started by Erysant1258, Aug 23, 2022.

I've been posting links to my site on We heart it (a social site similar to Instagram) for a while and I am starting to get traffic but Analitycs classifies it as Direct instead of Social. This means I cannot determine how much traffic I actually get from this site.

Is there a way to track these links?

The site ads "/?ref=weheartit" at the end of each and every URL. I tried searching for this suffix in Analytics but I cannot find it.

Erysant1258, Aug 23, 2022 IP
  2. Sumit_Singh

Sumit_Singh Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Erysant
    There is no need to worry, you can track this traffic but first, you need to understand why this is happening. GA often sees the traffic coming from social media (Messenger, WhatsApp, Emails, etc.) as direct traffic. And, this type of traffic is called Dark Social Media traffic that is hard to determine or recognize. If someone has bookmarked your website or webpage and they come to your website directly from the bookmark then that is also considered direct traffic in GA.

The simplest way to track this type of traffic is to use the Campaign URL Builder tool.
    It is simple to use, just fill the required fields. Copy and Paste your webpage URL, Enter the campaign source (google, newsletter, social), enter the campaign medium (the name of the website), and finally enter the campaign name (whatever you like that is understandable for you).
    Now scroll down and copy the link and share it on the website and boom.
    For tracking, open your analytics tool, in the left panel, click on the acquisition, click on all campaigns and see the data coming from the particular source/medium you have created.

Another way of doing it by setting up the Filters in GA.

Hope this will help you.

Sumit_Singh, Aug 23, 2022 IP