1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to tell what IP created a file

Discussion in 'Security' started by xXMetalicDustXx, Aug 6, 2012.

My website was recently hacked, and I believe I may be able to track this easily. I have a shared hosting plan (so no VPS, just cpanel). The hacker added an index.html file and deleted my redirect. I think I should be able to somehow find the IP address that created that index.html file. Am I correct? I really need to figure out who is doing this...then figuring out HOW.
    SEMrush
    Thanks!!

xXMetalicDustXx, Aug 6, 2012 IP
    SEMrush
  2. GMF

GMF Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Your host should be able to give you the information. They should have a log file which logs the time and IP of every connection. Just ask them who connected at the time the index.html was created.

GMF, Aug 6, 2012 IP
  3. ironcladservers

ironcladservers Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well in all likelihood the IP you find will likely not be the IP of the actual attacker, and if you want to get it then your host will need to act fairly fast, since those kinds of logs can go very quickly if they are not archived/rotated. Submit a ticket with your host and they should be able to help out.

ironcladservers, Aug 6, 2012 IP