1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to tell if your website is in the sandbox

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by gregdavidson, Jul 21, 2008.

This is basically my theory that may or may not be true. Considering your on-site optimization is good Google may give you top positions in the search engine within the first 30 days of submitting your site. Signup for a Google Analytics account and you should be able to find out which keywords your website ranks high for. After the first 30 days Google should be done fully indexing your website. If your website no longer shows up for the keywords that Google initially gave you then your website is in the sandbox. To get yourself out of the sandbox just submit your website to various "free" directories to get a bunch of one-way links. After Google picks up these backlinks you should re-appear for the keywords that you first qualified for. Build more backlinks and you may eventually get #1.

gregdavidson, Jul 21, 2008 IP
  2. emknutt

emknutt Banned

Best Answers:
    TRhat seems to be a fair description. The golden mantra then always has to be don't sit back on your laurelsna dalways look for fresh links and content.

emknutt, Jul 21, 2008 IP
  3. loai24

loai24 Peon

Best Answers:
    can anyone advise on how long do sites get sand box and why it happens.. im worried that my site may be in one now .

loai24, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  4. seoanand

seoanand Active Member

Best Answers:
    if your website category and keywords related to the high competitions and it's new born website, and after trying a well optimization of by some time and you could not get your website by the optimized key phrases and terms then u will know that your website is in sand box, u can keep it out by doing some more value of link building and organic seo work

seoanand, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  5. rvdukc

rvdukc Guest

Best Answers:
    Although this may be too late, I find the best results of staying out of the sandbox is to work very very slowly on your seo work for the first few months

aquiring sitewide links, or too many 1 way links can have a bad effect!

rvdukc, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  6. praiya

praiya Peon

Best Answers:
    What is one way link?

praiya, Jul 22, 2008 IP
  7. gregdavidson

gregdavidson Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A one way link is basically a dofollow link from a website where you don't link back to their site. If you do link back to their site than that's considered a "reciprocal link".

gregdavidson, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  8. webmasterran

webmasterran Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    never been thru the sandbox if u know what u r doing the right way

webmasterran, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  9. gregdavidson

Best Answers:
    When your website is first indexed by Google your website ocassionally disappears from the search results which is kind of like being in the sandbox. After the first 30 days it usually re-appears.

gregdavidson, Jul 23, 2008 IP
  10. tanggwa2006

tanggwa2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    That always happen to my new sites too, but they're usually reindexed within only 3 to 5 days.

tanggwa2006, Jul 26, 2008 IP
  11. gregdavidson

Best Answers:
    Another trick is to type your own website address in. If your website doesn't come up #1 after the first 30 days of being indexed then that could mean that your website is in the sandbox. Either that or Google just doesn't like your website.

gregdavidson, Jul 26, 2008 IP
  12. milvos

milvos Peon

Best Answers:
    I find if you work on a site to much at the start building links it gets sandboxed. I have 2 sites released at the same time targetted similar words, one we did backward link work on and seems to sandboxed, the site we did no work on has stayed in the results and is showing higher than the site we worked on for target keywords. I think it is important to get a site up and running as quickly as possible even if it is very basic, do some basic work on it and over the upcoming months expand on it. Seems to work better than releasing a big site and doing a bulk amount of work on it at once.

milvos, Jul 28, 2008 IP
  13. posylane

posylane Member

Best Answers:
    Lets say you built up your 1-way links to fast and got sand boxed, which is what I am worried about. At lot of my one-way links were sig links. Will going back and changing them to point somewhere else undo the damage? Can you come out of the sand box ranking higher than when you went in?

One of the pages I have been working on got to #6 in the search results and now won't come up in any position. The only real change has been building backlinks. My worry is I'll come out of the sandbox at #6 or lower and have wasted a bunch of time and a little money.

posylane, Jul 30, 2008 IP
  14. m.jizzle

m.jizzle Peon

Best Answers:
    Uhhh who gets their website ranking high in google when its brand new and has very few backlinks?

This sounds like a good test in theory, but I don't see it sticking...

Most new sites have very little keyword authority, so have little organic traffic, which makes the sandbox test hard.

m.jizzle, Jul 30, 2008 IP
  15. gregdavidson

Best Answers:
    Both of my directories ranked highly right from the start. I think you're underestimating the power of on-site optimization. If your website doesn't rank highly right from the start then your on-site optimization isn't good. You may be going for too many keywords or maybe you don't know which keywords you're going for. You also need to make sure that your dofollow backlinks have the keywords you're going for in the anchor text of the link.

gregdavidson, Jul 30, 2008 IP
  16. gregdavidson

Best Answers:
    Also m. jizzle, I would suggest you make your meta description for your Xbox 360 site an actual description with each of the phrases you're going for. Simply adding keywords with commas in your description area doesn't help out that much with your SEO.

gregdavidson, Jul 30, 2008 IP
  17. pinkblush

pinkblush Peon

Best Answers:

If your site is less than 6 months old, it is being repressed on Google by some sort of aging delay. Tweaking, linking, reassembling your pages, and begging Google to tell you what is wrong will not help. Some sites are 8-9 months old and still repressed. At this time it is not clear what triggers the removal of this filter. In fact it is not even clear if it is removed on a site-by-site basis. It may even be a case where all sites started within a several week or month timeframe may be released enmasse.

Just continue to get good links to your site and build up your content.

pinkblush, Jul 30, 2008 IP
  18. gregdavidson

Best Answers:
    The whole idea of Google putting websites in the sandbox because of age is absurd. If your website is sandboxed it's because of bad on-site or off-site optimization.

gregdavidson, Jul 31, 2008 IP
  19. supercops

supercops Peon

Best Answers:
    It depends on your hard work . Some sites are there forever and some are never sandboxed.

supercops, Jul 31, 2008 IP
  20. felonias

felonias Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Absolutely true, I have been testing this working on some product launches and my brand new sites with good on-page optimization have never been sandboxed while the ones without quality content get sandboxed as soon as I start building backlinks.

felonias, Oct 5, 2010 IP