1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How To Tell If Your URL Has Been Declined?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by graeme, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I imagine it would quite easy, but as DMOZ is not there to provide listing services to the webmaster, why would they want to waste any time or energy on it, besides, what would you do with this information:

1. Its pending --> life goes on and there is nothing more you can do
    2. Its listed --> life goes on and there is nothing more you can do
    3. Its rejected --> life goes on and there is nothing more you can do

Agent000, Aug 27, 2010 IP
  2. Riversway

Riversway Peon

Best Answers:
    Usual though if its been 12 months is it still likley to get listed? I would doubt it. Can there be any hard re-trying in case its got overlooked.

Riversway, Aug 27, 2010 IP
  3. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes there can.

jimnoble, Aug 27, 2010 IP
  4. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    All you do by resubmitting is overwrite the previous submission with the new date. Very silly move.

Agent000, Aug 27, 2010 IP
  5. jargodon

jargodon Peon

Best Answers:
    I, have a site that I submitted to DMOZ already and it is has been 14 months since that submission. But, my site hasn't been listed yet and there is no notification what soever from DMOZ. So, I guess you won't have to bother to wait for it whenever you submit your site on DMOZ. Maybe you can check yourself on site like checkpagerank.net. After a year or so...

jargodon, Sep 15, 2010 IP
  6. helleborine

helleborine Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Expect a wait of 4-5 years. Luckily you don't need this linkage, DMOZ listings don't help you in the SERPs and do not bring any traffic at all. Concentrate on other SEO strategies, worrying about getting a DMOZ listing is for webmasters stuck in the geocities timewarp.

helleborine, Sep 16, 2010 IP
  7. seoactivesearch

seoactivesearch Peon

Best Answers:
    I have been waiting and waiting and still nothing.
    Will wait another month and re-submit.
    Thanks for info

seoactivesearch, Oct 5, 2010 IP
  8. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You might like to read this and other threads here which explain why you shouldn't do that.
    There are no upsides to re-suggesting a website but there can be downsides.

jimnoble, Oct 5, 2010 IP
  9. sudipdasin

sudipdasin Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I have waited for almost 2 years now, and you know what? no dice! so don't worry about Dmoz, try social networking that is the hot thing now a days

sudipdasin, Oct 5, 2010 IP
  10. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Give it another 2 or 3 years and come back again. Sorry, we are not a free listing service for site owners, we build categories and editors make the choice of which resource to use.

Anonymously, Oct 5, 2010 IP
  11. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    When submitting an application to be an editor the ODP suggests that the would be editor look into things in a couple of weeks cuz poop happens...and at times it's in the best interest of the would be editor to try again.

If there can be errors in the application process that require one to re-submit, then would it not stand to reason that things can blank out on the site suggestions? With the LACK of communication, there is no way to tell....

And in most instances, editors say that it's pointless to re-submit due to it just over-writing the original...yet they also claim that it's not a queue so that point is moot.

Then there is the possibility of site improvement... if after a year, and it's not listed, and yet the site has gotten better & better, then what truly is the harm? A banning? HAHAHAHA... they are already not listed! Where is the change in status?

Qryztufre, Oct 5, 2010 IP
  12. graeme

graeme Guest

Best Answers:
    I used to be an editor many years ago and from memory when a site is resubmitted it does not show up in the queue any differently. The pending "suggestion" does not show any differently, the editor is not notified by email or anything, so unless the system has now changed, submitting again does absolutely nothing to attract the editor's attention - perhaps any current editors here can confirm?

so resubmitting really does not have any affect. what would be really good though is for the ODP system to automatically say "your site is already pending review" or something. that would at least webmasters that their suggestion has not got lost in the ether somewhere, but is still in the suggested site list.

Cheers
    Graeme

graeme, Oct 5, 2010 IP
  13. piosyd

piosyd Member

Best Answers:
    Try once...and leave it ..
    There is no way to find out. Do your best to provide accurate information about your website and simply wait. I would rather spend my time, effort and health to concentrate on promotion my website instead of worring about DMOZ.
    The truth is that you can be very successful without DMOZ!

piosyd, Oct 6, 2010 IP
  14. helleborine

Best Answers:
    True, that, but the ODP's owners seem to consider any monetary/time investment in the ODP to be a complete waste.

The webmasters of the world ought to take a hint ;-)

helleborine, Oct 6, 2010 IP
  15. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Would telling webmasters that their ite had been rejected stop them worrying? If not what is the point?

Would telling webmasters that their site had been rejected generate a lot of heat and get webmasters jumping up and down, you bet it would.

Suggest and forget, we don't loose it and if we do, as we did in the great crash of a few years ago, we tell people. So either a suggested site has been accepted, easy to discover, it is waiting a review or it has been rejected and if so then we do not have the time to chew over every website with the owner on sites like this why that site has been rejected. Also if it has been rejected it will really have to be a different site to get listed so self check and if it matches guidelines the its in the pool and go away and forget. Simple.

Anonymously, Oct 7, 2010 IP
  16. debtdue

debtdue Member

Best Answers:
    I've heard that the DMOZ has lost some of its value as a link in the past couple of years to the impossibility of getting into it. Google has taken this into account that not many people can get approved and started lowering the value of the link.

Anyone have any verification on this?

debtdue, Oct 7, 2010 IP
  17. Master Directory

Master Directory Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Master Directory, Oct 7, 2010 IP
  18. supernal

supernal Member

Best Answers:
    As far as I know there is no way to tell.

supernal, Oct 7, 2010 IP
  19. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It's VERY strange that the ODP says that they loose editor applications and have them re-submit or inquire. Why is that part of the system infalible, and the other parts of the system are prone to failure?

Though, when we are checking our sites, would it be OK to use listed examples as criteria for getting listed? For instance, Topix has nothing but syndicated content, yet they have 20k deep links... confusing for the would-be submitter to say the least.

Qryztufre, Oct 8, 2010 IP
  20. helleborine

Best Answers:
    I don't think webmasters are confused by this. In order for this confusion to occur, webmasters would actually have to notice the TOPIX deeplinks. Since no one actually visits the ODP or uses it, 99.99999% of the webmasters submitting their sites have no idea at all about these deeplinks, and not likely to be confused by their presence.

I don't begrudge the TOPIX deeplinks, in fact, they're hilarious. When was the last time you saw a topix page float at the top of the SERPs? Never? Yeah. You gotta love how they wrestled themselves in, embarassing the ODP link-listers that are earnestly fighting deeplinks, and got no benefit from it, showing once again that DMOZ listings are uttterly useless.

ABOUT.com, on the other hand, which I don't believe to be deeplinked in the ODP, tops thousands of big-money search terms.

helleborine, Oct 9, 2010 IP