1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How To Tell If Your URL Has Been Declined?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by graeme, Aug 4, 2010.

So, say you've been waiting 12 months and your URL still has not been added to DMOZ. How can you tell if an editor still hasn't got around to editing it, or if it's been declined?

Do you get an email if your site has been reviewed but declined?

Is it OK to resubmit? Or do you just wait? Is there a way of telling what's happened to the submission?

Cheers
    Graeme

graeme, Aug 4, 2010 IP
  2. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    No way to tell, no notice given and not really worth worrying about. ;)

CReed, Aug 4, 2010 IP
  3. balivillaholidays

balivillaholidays Peon

Best Answers:
    There's no way you can know actually as DMOz doesn't bother to email any updates or confirmation about your submission.

balivillaholidays, Aug 5, 2010 IP
  4. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can self check whether or not your website is listable. If it's unlistable, there's not much point suggesting it at all, still less re-suggesting it. Be aware that re-suggestions overwrite any earlier ones which can be disadvantageous.

Bottom line: If it's listable, suggest a website just once to the one best category. Don't bother if it's not.

jimnoble, Aug 5, 2010 IP
    CReed and usasportstraining like this.
  5. graeme

graeme Guest

Best Answers:
    Thanks Jim, so you suggest never re-submitting your site? Even if it's listable but it's been over 12 months since submitting, it's still best to just wait?

Cheers
    Graeme

graeme, Aug 5, 2010 IP
  6. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Anonymously, Aug 5, 2010 IP
  7. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    Yes.
    (obligatory message length padding)

jimnoble, Aug 5, 2010 IP
  8. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    That is not relevant here... no one said anything about disguising the link.

Submitting again after a year will likely NOT hurt anything.

The queue is only called a queue...and many editors that use it do not go from top to bottom, some may even go from bottom to top! So while it CAN be a disadvantage, it can also be to your advantage. Especially if you have been adding content to your site over that year. However, multiple submissions CAN cause your site to get flagged as spam... so if you are of the mind to submit more then one time, then do wait that year, then forget about it!

However, I'd also like to add that MANY editors do not bother with the queue at all, so NOT submitting can often have the same wait time (as in, even if ya do not list, it can still take up to two weeks or more to find you've been listed anyway).

Best advice I can give... simply move on! If you are submitting to directories in general, then yes, submit to the the ODP, but if you are not submitting to directories then don't bother here either.

Qryztufre, Aug 5, 2010 IP
  9. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    But if your site gets removed from DMOZ, do like Q, who is offering this advice and scream all over the net. I wouldn't bother if it is not worthwhile, would you? So judge by his actions.

Anonymously, Aug 5, 2010 IP
  10. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    What are you talking about? My link was listed by another editor, and certainly not because I complained... but then the major point of my complaint was the how & why it was removed and the fact the editor that removed it was publicly posting about it... so heh, if ya want people to judge by actions, then what did I do that was different then that of the editor that removed it? Double standard much? Oh, that's right... thats what you do best!

To top that off, this thread is NOT about sites being removed, it's about sites not being added. So what are ya doing? Thread hijacking? Trolling? Yeah, that's what I thought. I know I am your favorite person to talk about, but come on... keep threads on topic here!

Qryztufre, Aug 5, 2010 IP
  11. OLCDSarah

OLCDSarah Peon

Best Answers:
    How does one tell if the category that one picks has an active monitor?... My category has had 71 listing for 7 months... Seems like the monitor is on a Looong vacation

OLCDSarah, Aug 16, 2010 IP
  12. ska_defender

ska_defender Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There is simply no way :)

ska_defender, Aug 16, 2010 IP
  13. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    We are all volunteers and work in our spare time, if you can impress the people who vet new applications, you too can spend your spare time editing, that way we can tell if you are on a long vacation.

Anonymously, Aug 16, 2010 IP
  14. aupokies

aupokies Peon

Best Answers:
    @graeme Just search for your site in the dmoz search. If it is not listed yet, wait for 1 year and try to resubmit. Hope this helps

aupokies, Aug 16, 2010 IP
  15. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    On has to kinda admire the way that aupokies continues to steadfastly contradict authoritative advice given by editors within threads and in the sticky thread at the top of this forum.

Or was he too busy to read them?

jimnoble, Aug 17, 2010 IP
  16. wilburncarver347

wilburncarver347 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    search for it

wilburncarver347, Aug 19, 2010 IP
  17. Qryztufre

Best Answers:
    So, erm, if you search for it, it magically tells you if your site has been declined rather then just not reviewed yet?

Qryztufre, Aug 19, 2010 IP
  18. graeme

graeme Guest

Best Answers:
    I wonder how hard it would be for ODP to set up a system where you could enter your URL and it would say "pending" or "rejected". At least then we would know!

graeme, Aug 25, 2010 IP
  19. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    It was tried offering site updates on Resource Zone and found not to be productive.

Imagine the heat generated when we tell poople we have not accepted their site? Why, so and so is listed, add to that we are not a listing service, we do not set out as editors to list as many suggestions as possible and remember too they are only suggestions for an editor who wants to use the suggestions pool to build a category, it is not by any manner or means the only resource available to them.

Anonymously, Aug 26, 2010 IP
  20. graeme

graeme Guest

Best Answers:
    True, but I guess it would also greatly reduce the amount of heat about "has my site been reviewed yet?".

Anyway, it's obviously ODP's choice on how they want to do it.

graeme, Aug 26, 2010 IP