1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to take Back up the Forum Database ?

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by 28081981, Sep 3, 2008.

Can anyone explain in simple language ? A path Like this -> and then to this -> and then this , would be helpful ;)

One more thing that I would like to know is that how we can restore that database.

Any other tips, and suggestions on the topic would be appreciated as well :)

Thanks

PS : Its a phpbb.

28081981, Sep 3, 2008 IP
  2. mudassar

mudassar Banned

Best Answers:
    Hi You want to learn this in simple words , Okay I am writing & hope this will help you!

Hosting Control Panel > phpmyadmin > Select Database > Press Export Button > Check Box of Saving > Done

Some Brief explaination here:

Login to your Hosting Control Panel, Then you will find PHPMYADMIN there, In case, if you will not see this, then most probabbly it will be in MySQL Setting area. In PHPMYADMIN, you need to select that database (from left hand side panel), which is using by your forum. Select database & you will see new page. On the top of this new page, you'll see EXPORT link/button there. Click there, page will load & on new page, you need to scroll some done & you will see Save option, select none for getting database in .SQL format, zip for getting database in .sql.zip & similarly for gzip option.

Regarding Restoring, You need to do this same, login to hosting panel, then phpmyadmin, then select database, but this time you need to click in IMPORT link instead of EXPORT, then press browse button, select your files & then press go button. Done

I hope this will help you, if you want anymore help , you are welcome to send me PM , I can also do this for you. :)

Good Luck

mudassar, Sep 4, 2008 IP
  3. chillstation

chillstation Peon

Best Answers:
    I can setupa script for you all automated for 10 $ Pm me if interested

chillstation, Sep 4, 2008 IP
  4. FunWadi

FunWadi Peon

Best Answers:
    I do in same way you told but these days my database size is too huge in gzip format so sometimes the download get break at size of 20 MB, sometimes 25MB and so on..

And when I download through Backup Wizard by selecting the particular database, so from there it downloads full size which is in 80MBs but in the meantime the site is down shows critical error because that time the download is in progress...

Any way to download the full backup with no site interruptions?

FunWadi, Sep 5, 2008 IP
  5. mudassar

mudassar Banned

Best Answers:
    Hi,

Yes If you download this with Internet Explorer, then It is a possibility of connection breaking. But I use FireFox for this & in FireFox, Connection don't breakup.

So, try to download it with firefox or search at Hotscripts.com, There are some script/software for backing up!

Take Care

mudassar, Sep 6, 2008 IP
  6. Mega B

Mega B Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for some great information !!!

@chillstation can you send me some details please

Mega B, Sep 6, 2008 IP
  7. FunWadi

FunWadi Peon

Best Answers:
    I am always makin backup with Firefox but still it breaks. IE is worst but I gave a try with IE as well but same thing happened.

Can you name some of the script/software which will help me in downloading full database backup without any troubling to my site.

FunWadi, Sep 6, 2008 IP
  8. mudassar

mudassar Banned

Best Answers:
    Hi, Search here in Database Script & Softwares. I personally didn't test, But you can find some good opensource scripts there. http://www.hotscripts.com/PHP

mudassar, Sep 6, 2008 IP
  9. FunWadi

FunWadi Peon

Best Answers:
    Okay. Thank you very much.

If any remembers the name of good scripts/software which make backups fully without breaking, do let me know the name any time :)

FunWadi, Sep 6, 2008 IP
  10. Logician

Logician Active Member

Best Answers:
    Such scripts work only when your site (db actuall) is small and when it gets bigger, they are not reliable (neither phpymyadmin export feature, not cpanel backup is reliable in very large dbs).

There is only one way of backing up your DB in a secure way and it is SSH'ing to the server and then use mysqldump command.

Everthing else is a lie. (or will become so at one point) :)

Logician, Sep 9, 2008 IP
  11. FunWadi

FunWadi Peon

Best Answers:
    I am not sure how to use the way you said:

There is only one way of backing up your DB in a secure way and it is SSH'ing to the server and then use mysqldump command.

Also there is 1 option in Cpanel, Backup Wizard. Through that we can download any particular database we want. I did and I think the size of backup is full. But I can try your way as well if you can explain in more detail.

Thank you,
    AbdulBasit Makrani

FunWadi, Sep 9, 2008 IP
  12. deniseG

deniseG Peon

Best Answers:
    I use mysqldumper, and you could also stagger the download.

deniseG, Sep 16, 2008 IP
  13. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Create a shell script, upload it, then add a cron job for it to run periodically. Best method.

RectangleMan, Sep 16, 2008 IP
  14. 28081981

28081981 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I got another querry. Can we restore the DB of one forum, to another one, provided that they both have the same script (eg phbbb3) ?

28081981, Sep 16, 2008 IP