1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to suppress a listing from showing?

Discussion in 'Shopping' started by Luxoria, Apr 8, 2011.

Is there a tag or set of characters I can place in the title that cause Google to reject the listings?

I feed products to Google Products at my ecommerce store and I also have a few listings at at few free marketplaces for backlink/SEO purposes. The thing is those free marketplaces do not have a way to NOT have them send my listings to google products. I really don't want to spam google when one feed from a single source is sufficient.

Luxoria, Apr 8, 2011 IP
  2. Luxoria

Luxoria Peon

Best Answers:
    A poster on the Google support forums stated there is not a special code to have google suppress a single listing. Odd, IMO.

Luxoria, Apr 10, 2011 IP
  3. saicou

saicou Peon

Best Answers:
    suppression files are to be used when you are emailing a particular campaign. Email address in suppression list are NOT to be included while emailing, those people have chosen not to receive emails for that product. Alternately, in terms of email marketing, Suppression list contains email IDs that have already chosen to OPT-OUT from getting email updates of that particular product.

Protection and tracking A variety of technological means are used to protect suppression lists and track suppression list abuse. These include neutral third party scrubbing of email lists, distribution of MD5 secure hash suppression lists and distribution of "seeded" email lists.

saicou, Apr 15, 2011 IP
  4. CPC_Andrew

CPC_Andrew Peon

Best Answers:
    It's not really spamming because the merchant name for those listings will be the marketplace. It's just more visibility to your products so it shouldn't hurt.

CPC_Andrew, Apr 21, 2011 IP
  5. Luxoria

Luxoria Peon

Best Answers:
    You have a good point there. The titles used on the products posted on the free marketplace can target long tail words while titles for my main store can concentrate on my main keywords. Currently the feeds are off (turned off the whole store), but I will look into this. So far, over three months, I only get an average of 3 hits per day on the free marketplace with ~50 items, so right now it's not worth the time.

Luxoria, Apr 21, 2011 IP
  6. CPC_Andrew

CPC_Andrew Peon

Best Answers:
    Free traffic is the best traffic there is, if it's just a manual process of you submitting it once per month then why not? That's 90 clicks that have to have a decent conversion rate (or do they?). While the best way to increase your traffic is to compete by price (duh) you can improve your traffic by optimizing your product_type column.

Google does a great job explaining the product_type attribute and how to populate your fields with their taxonomy, do a quick search for "product_type taxonomy google product search" to see it.

After reading about the product_type attribute, scroll down and browse the taxonomy. Find the category that best describes your product(s) and use it to populate your products.

Make sure to pick the best product_type for each individual product. Try to stay away from lumping all of your products into "electronics" or "music" - be as specific as possible.

This is because the more specific product_type you drill down to, the more focused Google can be in sending qualified traffic to your products, which = increased conversions. The product_type attribute is acting sort of like bumpers on a bowling alley.

Check out the formatting text below the taxonomy as well for more important tips if your product lies in two categories.

Hope this helps. Another way to get more traffic is to increase the number of products you submit. You can also add custom attributes.

CPC_Andrew, Apr 21, 2011 IP