1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to successfully add your site to DMOZ

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by infordig, Mar 25, 2006.

1. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    Yep, if the first post contains material that is strictly prohibited from being posted as yours did - you included a pseudo-signature that had your URL in it. That is a no-no in Resource Zone and everyone is treated the same - RZ does not want such a link contributing to any SERP effect and if one person could do it, they all could. If all you were doing was wishing them a happy new year then removing your URL link isn't screwing that up. Nea, I believe, explained it most respectfully.

Unfortunately many who have cause to worry do not post anywhere externally or engage in email with submitters - it is a risk of the job you will need to decline submissions and thereby incur someone's displeasure.

It certainly appears you were treated with bad manners and as I said earlier most editors, including those posting on RZ, deplore that.

brizzie, Mar 29, 2006 IP
  2. L146705

L146705 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a mixed view of dmoz, some of the categorys/editors are fast to review a site but on others I have been waiting for 12 months and have still not got a reply.

L146705, Mar 29, 2006 IP
  3. Papoloko

Papoloko Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi brizzie,
    I think you got a few things wrong, let see if we can clear it out today.

Copy of my original post at RZ:

Do you call using the www.ultra150s.com a pseudo-signature? Nothing was hidden. Anybody can see that is a website address. All she did was take out the www and a tag for "center" leaving the post looking crappy. She didn't said nothing. Do you see moderators doing things like that here or at any other forums? Come on, the world isn't blind.

Copy and paste of my 3th post at RZ:
    Where does it say I shouldn't use my website in my signature?
    What about that link example where they allowed a new member to post a link and to use the link at his signature too? When I asked Nea about it he never answered me. You wrote this: "That is a no-no in Resource Zone and everyone is treated the same" but the example link in my 3th post paint a different picture.

Copy of motza post at RZ:

Did she admitted the wrong doing to the post? She made a joke out of it.

Can you tell me where anyone at that thread pointed me to read the rules about no posting a website in sig? Nobody did but they sure knew how to lock things up.

How come the example guy could write 2 links in the same post? They most have been feeling good that day. It sure looked like a link more or less didn't matters much to them. Maybe it's a god decision to allow a link.

Did she locked the thread or not? That is what the original poster of this thread claimed and it was the reason for me posting too. It was locked out!

It's funny, the only people that seem to argue my post are editors. A person doesn't have to be too smart to realized that the scale only tilt in their favor when it come to admitting any wrong doing but it's only in their eyes.

I didn't wanted to reply to you when you first answered my post, even though some of your points were wrong, because you didn't seems like a fanatic to me and I just wanted to put this issue in the past but you tried a second time to justified some things that I just disagree with. I brought as much evidence, copy & paste and links, to this thread as I humanly possible can. Now, it's up each person to decide for themselves what to believe about how RZ treat members. It's over for me.

I thank you for explaining things about DMOZ and wish you the best side in all your future discussions but I won't be posting about this subject anymore myself. I'm no good at writing, this post, right now, has taken more than 2 hour to complete and I just don't have the time to do it. Good luck :D

Papoloko, Mar 29, 2006 IP
  4. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    That was clearly a lie. Whatever happened to the concept of "truth" at The Resourceless Zone?

Isn't there some way we can have Motsa fired for publicly lying about her death? If that's not possible, is there a secret death squad within DMOZ that could force her to follow through with her promise?

minstrel, Mar 29, 2006 IP
  5. jim_rockingham

jim_rockingham Guest

Best Answers:
    A few months ago Google appeared to ignore links from DMOZ to my sites. Does anyone know if this is a coincidence or if Google is starting to ignore DMOZ when it comes to page ranking ?

jim_rockingham, Mar 30, 2006 IP
  6. brizzie

brizzie Peon

Best Answers:
    I am not going to defend what appears to be rudeness and there are many things wrong about the response you got. Although in the good old days of status requests I wasn't averse to the odd misleading statement - your site has been received and is awaiting review - when I had just finished extracting the affiliate load of crap from two dozen unrelated categories and dumping it in the garbage with a red note attached. So lying is permitted. ;)

Fact is that URLs embedded in RZ posts, where it is unrelated to a quality control report, will usually be zealously removed. Sometimes they might be missed though - depends on whether one of the more zealous moderators spots it or has their attention drawn to it. There are many things related to DMOZ that are not properly explained upfront - that is a good 50% of their problem and one that can and should be rectified. But I have a lot less headaches now I don't bang my head against the wall so often. I am not defending what happened in any way - just pointing out what will be if you post an URL - it gets deleted, and if all you were doing was passing New Years greetings, what possible problem could there be in that deletion (as opposed to the rudeness that seemed to follow)

RZ is not a forum in the normal sense of the term - report dead links, ask about editor application progress - that is it, no chat, no real questions or issues discussed, heavily moderated to an extreme (even of editors' posts sometimes) nothing else. Places like this are far far better for discussion - sometimes gets nasty but at least you can actually say what you want. In some ways it actually reminds me of RZ as it used to be a couple of years back - you couldn't deny it was lively, amusing at times, worth actually reading and you could actually help quite a few people as well as catch loads of crooks. Now... a waste of time except for those two remaining functions.

I actually haven't posted in RZ (where I use my former editor name) since butting heads with motsa myself over what I thought were attacks on me from her direction but for balance she has always been an excellent editor of the highest integrity and recent posts appear out of character for the lady who gave me a lot of support when I first became an editor for which I will always be grateful. The motsa I remember was kind, supportive, and deserving of the many accolades editors including myself nominated and voted for her in internal awards - I don't recognise the current one but I hope the old one comes back.

brizzie, Mar 30, 2006 IP
  7. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Hint: the traditional DigitalPoint remedy of multiple stabbings is usually an excellent morale booster.

minstrel, Mar 30, 2006 IP
  8. DaStarBuG

DaStarBuG Peon

Best Answers:
    I had my non commercial music site submited to dmoz about 2 years ago and no listing so far.

I stoped waiting for it some time ago

DaStarBuG, Apr 2, 2006 IP
    compostannie likes this.