1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to stop content theft

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by orion5678, Sep 2, 2006.

Can anyone tell me how you can stop people from just stealing content on your website and putting it on theirs. Also, I thought I read that google adsense requires unique content, that was something I thought I read in tos. If not, then why are all those ebay buyers on ebay buying cloned websites and getting banned right away. Can someone please explain how to stop content theft, I mean I know you can contact the person, but what if that fails. It just seems so easy for people to do.

orion5678, Sep 2, 2006 IP
  2. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    You can't keep them from copying but can be agressive in fighting copyright infringement when discovered. Copyscape will help serve as a method of monitoring. If I have a keyword that drops significantly and does not bounce back, I run copyscape on the page which targets that keyword.

Good luck.

Smyrl, Sep 2, 2006 IP
  3. E8MC

E8MC Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually, you can stop them from copying by changing some script on your server -- it's too late tonight for me to explain it, but I will show you how later.

E8MC, Sep 2, 2006 IP
  4. BryceW

BryceW Active Member

Best Answers:
    My unique articles get ripped off frequently. First I ask the site owner to take it down. If they dont I contact the host and ask them to take it down (pointing out the articles in question and show proof). If they dont take it down I email them telling them I am going to contact their datacenter with a DCMA complaint. If they still dont I follow through.

I have a template for this as it happens so frequently and it isnt too much trouble to enforce.

BryceW, Sep 2, 2006 IP
  5. brandnewx

brandnewx Peon

Best Answers:
    Web hosts are not interested in being a judge of duplicate content issue. They'll ignore it, i guess. As everything can be digitally manipulated, there's no sure-fire way they can tell that you're or he's the real author.

Even you can kick them from one host, those bad guys will just host in bullet-proof server offshore, the servers that the same guys used for sending spams. There wouldn't be any way to stop it.

What you can do is ban their IPs. Then you should learn how to set trap, read server logs, etc. If it's automated scraping, you can just ping the website and ban the ip right away.

brandnewx, Sep 3, 2006 IP
  6. E8MC

E8MC Peon

Best Answers:
    The method many of us use is to do a "Mod_Rewrite" to the .htaccess file, where you can re-direct them if they attempt to steal anything -- this can be a monster, even for the most experienced programmers.

E8MC, Sep 3, 2006 IP
  7. gumbo

gumbo Peon

Best Answers:
    Does someone out there have a list of known evil scraper IPs that we can ban or redirect through .htaccess to something else (preferably some alternate content they can steal that says "I am a thief and fornicate with animals")? I can't think of any way of doing this without knowing their IPs. Or maybe the User Agent of their scraper software, if it hasn't taken the obvious step of looking like IE?

gumbo, Sep 5, 2006 IP
  8. roxy

roxy Active Member

Best Answers:
    It is use less to fight.

1) Concentrate in creating unique stuff , this is the best way to copy cats on work always and remain ahead.

2) Include image words in your articles, basic java scripts , atleast it will keep off not the experts.

3) Divide the article in two pages , just keep few hurdles this keep 30-50% off

4) Keep a standard email template , if you find some body who has copied write to him about it, express and tell him about the legal options you have

you will solve 90% of your problems of copy with this , 10% even the software vendors like microsoft leave with it .

See Ya

Roxy

roxy, Sep 6, 2006 IP
    Bender likes this.
  9. Pat Gael

Pat Gael Banned

Best Answers:
    Disabling copy, paste and drag and no-right-click by adding a single line to the body tag help, leaving only the saving option or view source enabled.

In this case you can encrypt the file with javascript or md5.

However, encrypting files will not stop advanced webmasters, but search engines, that cannot go through encryption.

Pat Gael, Sep 6, 2006 IP
  10. vistadivine.com@gmail.com

vistadivine.com@gmail.com Banned

Best Answers:
  11. Pat Gael

Pat Gael Banned

Best Answers:
    Yes there is, but generating RSS feeds and posted somewhere within DP.

Not sure where is the post but the generator is here:

http://www.rssmini.com

Code (markup):

Pat Gael, Sep 9, 2006 IP
  12. vistadivine.com@gmail.com

Best Answers:
    Well I tried that one and I dont think this what I am looking for.

13. Pat Gael

Pat Gael Banned

Best Answers:
    Try looking for it at hotscripts.com or sourceforge.net

However you need to be patient browsing the different categories to find it out.

Pat Gael, Sep 10, 2006 IP
  14. vistadivine.com@gmail.com

Best Answers:
    Ya anyway thanks!

15. smile

smile Peon

Best Answers:
    hi, could you help to explain what should we put in the .htaccess ?

many thansk :)

smily

smile, Sep 12, 2006 IP
  16. dddougal

dddougal Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I tried for months to stop people automatically stealing my articles.
    Try planting a link to your site in the middle of the articles somewhere, i did this and then a few months later I could tell exactly who had been stealing my articles.
    It amazes me that they obviously didnt even bother to read what they were stealing or i think they would have removed the links.

dddougal, Sep 13, 2006 IP
  17. cupid9

cupid9 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, it is really annoying when your original writing/content copied by others. It's even more annoying AdSense take not action against these content thieves.

:sad:

cupid9, Sep 15, 2006 IP
  18. ChrisChoi

ChrisChoi Peon

Best Answers:
    Can't believe nobody mentioned this yet :D

I hope this really helps

http://www.copyscape.com/

ChrisChoi, Sep 16, 2006 IP