1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

how to start directory website?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by JessieJames27, Mar 4, 2008.

hello, im planning to start a free directory website. but i don't know how difficult it is.
    and i don't know how expensive. anybody knows how much would be the expected
    expenses? i have my programmer friends ,but of course , i have to make a research prior to that.

thanks

JessieJames27, Mar 4, 2008 IP
  2. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    It can be absolutely free if you want it to be, free script, ours is good, free hosting, there are some out there that do that, you can submit and promote yourself so no outlay except for time. Don't get sucked into believing that you need to have anything other than a basic directory script to start with, you don't. Work on the basics first, choose a good niche that you are familiar with as this always helps.

If you need any help or advice feel free to p.m me, I'll help as much as possible, and that's regardless of what script you choose.

JamieG, Mar 4, 2008 IP
  3. snowbird

snowbird Notable Member

Best Answers:
    $25 script from phplinkdirectory.com, plus pay the extra $10 for the supporters forum.

Have someone help you with a good category dump (category with no listings), this way you won't have to add categories manually. Also, you will have a good structure for submitting for lifetime.

A decent host will cost you around $10 a month. Try bluehost.com or hostgator.com, but you have to pay yearly. They allow you to host unlimited sites.

Get a good domain name for your directory. Something catchy. It does not have to have "dir" or "directory" in the domain name.

The list your site at directorycritic.com and info.vilesilencer.com. You'll get a lot of submissions, many from other directories.

Build links to your site by submitting to other directories. Check the list in my sig or use software (digixmas.com for $15).

Probably some other stuff I am missing, but this gives you an idea of costs. About $150 gets you up and running for a year.

Good luck

snowbird, Mar 4, 2008 IP
  4. malcolm1

malcolm1 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Everything he said above except "niche" as theres way to many generals and not enough niche directories ...

thx
    malcolm

malcolm1, Mar 4, 2008 IP
  5. loredan

loredan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'd say there are actually millions of niche directories waiting for their owners to understand this and start promoting them.

Every general directory owner have at least 12 or more main categories - these are actually niche directories which wait to be promoted. This is the beauty of a general directory - you actually own several mini niche directories. If all these categories would be developed and promoted as niches there will be much more to gain from a general web directory than any other niche directory in the world.

Rather than promoting a general web directory as a whole, it would be brilliant if people will start promoting their categories. That would mean more work, more strength, more diversity, more benefits (any kind of)

Just my 2c

loredan, Mar 4, 2008 IP
    JamieG and YMC like this.
  6. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    I don' think you can transfer the licence or sell it without the owners permission David duval I think it is.

@JessieJames27; Many people will pretty much dive on you begging you to get phpld because it has a rather over-enthusiastic following here. :rolleyes: I'd advise you to look at many other scripts first before jumping in.

You'll notice I won't shove the phpLynx script down your throat even though it is IMHO far better than phpld but that ins't my purpose on this forum and it would be unfair on you. My interest is to see you get set up correctly and with as little outlay as possible, I wish you well whatever path you choose.

JamieG, Mar 4, 2008 IP
  7. Red_Virus

Red_Virus Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Red_Virus, Mar 4, 2008 IP
  8. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If you mean getting programmer friends to create one for you then i dont know, but if you mean using a ready made script, then it will cost between nothing and dirt cheap.

Expenses will be of your time if you stick with the free directory idea, if you do it properly.

pipes, Mar 5, 2008 IP
  9. pop3

pop3 Banned

Best Answers:
    you need to buy a directory script
    Phpld is the best one which is available

pop3, Mar 5, 2008 IP
  10. maxchanwl

maxchanwl Banned

Best Answers:
    Agree with the others, and everything that needs to be said has already been said above.

maxchanwl, Mar 5, 2008 IP
  11. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    Can you expand on that for all of us because I for one don't agree that it's the best available, far from it actually. :rolleyes:

JamieG, Mar 5, 2008 IP
  12. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    Not here, thanks. ;)

mcfox, Mar 5, 2008 IP
  13. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    Fair enough, but it really was just a legitimate question which would have benefitted the OP which is what we should all be caring about after all. ;)

JamieG, Mar 5, 2008 IP
  14. JessieJames27

JessieJames27 Active Member

Best Answers:
    thank you for those replies.. i will observe your replies and make the best move for my directory.. hmm.. still thinking.

JessieJames27, Mar 6, 2008 IP
  15. ezimedia

ezimedia Peon

Best Answers:
    HI

When you have your directory up and running why not post the url here and share it with fellow DP users..

Thanks
    Tom Dahne

ezimedia, Mar 6, 2008 IP
  16. snowbird

snowbird Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, post your directory in solicitations and announcements, and I will post it on my directory list if it is a free directory.

snowbird, Mar 6, 2008 IP
  17. mikey1090

mikey1090 Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Dan, I have been there, done that and I am wearing the T-Shirt. :D

Its not easy. Its like trying to run 12 directories at once. Not possible. It would be like trying to raise 12 children at once and keeping them all perfect, happy and healthy. One or more children will suffer from lack of attention.

Running 1 niche directory is a lot easier than trying to promote 12 categories of a general directory. Trust me. I have tried.

mikey1090, Mar 6, 2008 IP
  18. FanAddict

FanAddict Notable Member

Best Answers:
    How much is the full version of your script? Are there templates for it, free?

Let me know via PM :)

FanAddict, Mar 6, 2008 IP
  19. JamieG

JamieG Banned

Best Answers:
    The full version of the script is $45 I can tell you that via p.m as well though. :)

JamieG, Mar 6, 2008 IP
  20. SEOBusiness

SEOBusiness Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    1,buy yourself a domain;
    2,buy yourself a hosting;
    3,buy yourself the directory script;
    4,install the script and do some adjust.

Your new directory will be there.

SEOBusiness, Mar 6, 2008 IP