1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to sell domain names to big companies

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by sayeen, Feb 27, 2014.

I have two domain names with me with high search volimes:

wemolightswitch.com
    wemoswitch.com

Since they are Belkin products, do you guys it would be worth while to sell these domains names to Belkin. Do you think they would be interested? If so then can anyone guide me how to contact them or rather who to contact.?

sayeen, Feb 27, 2014 IP
  2. sweetpea69

sweetpea69 Active Member

Best Answers:
    "wemo" is trademarked by belkin. Run a trademark search at uspto.gov. If you send them an email, expect a cease and desist order. Better get refund on those domains

sweetpea69, Feb 27, 2014 IP
  3. sayeen

sayeen Active Member

Best Answers:
    my primary goal was to start a website on it...can I atleast populate it with my own content?

sayeen, Feb 27, 2014 IP
  4. sweetpea69

sweetpea69 Active Member

Best Answers:
    it's really up to belkin what you can do with them. I mean the domains are ultra specific to the products they're selling, so if the site is going to be about and/or selling belkin products, than that's infringing on their trademark. I would honestly just get a refund while you still can...if you still can. No point in wasting time on a website only to have it pulled down. If you want to sell light switches...lol.. than get a generic keyword domain with light switches, and you'll be good to go.

5. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    If they were just wemo you could rebrand them - trademarks only relate to similar products so if you did a site about wemo fertilisation systems (your own invention) they couldn't do anything. But wemolightswitch makes it very clear you intended to cybersquat.

sarahk, Feb 27, 2014 IP
  6. sayeen

sayeen Active Member

Best Answers:
    but wouldnt I technically be helping them make sales as the website would only be featuring Belkin products...this is all too confusing to me...To me logically, I would only be 'cybersquat'ing if I were to feature my own products under a established trademark...its not like ill be posting my own products...I was thinking something along the line of Amazon Associate website dedicated for Wemo... as for me selling light switches...:)...to tell you the truth I have seen more success selling cheaper products than selling ones that are expensive because people tend to buy them in bulks and without many second thoughts...

sayeen, Feb 27, 2014 IP
  7. sweetpea69

sweetpea69 Active Member

Best Answers:
    cybersquatting is ripping other people off who have already put the work in to develop there business. wouldn't you be happier with yourself if you didnt? Honestly, domains don't do a whole lot for seo. If your dead set on wemo products, that keyword stuff the f' outta the site. just pick a generic light-switches.org, and there you go.

8. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    It's cyber squatting because you've bought it to deliberately feed off another company's name and reputation.

That would be very generous of you to promote belkin products so selflessly - except that you still intend to earn affiliate or dropship revenue from the site - and the site gets an artificial boost by using the trademarked name. You will be accused (rightly or wrongly) of trying to deceive customers into thinking they are on an official belkin site.

sarahk, Feb 27, 2014 IP
    malky66 and ryan_uk like this.
  9. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Have you actually bothered to read up on UDRP and wilful trademark infringement? It doesn't seem like it; you need to wake up to reality and do so. Try justifying it to yourself however you want, but your excuses won't fly with WIPO.

The TM and these domains are far too specific to even put up content completely unrelated.

ryan_uk, Feb 27, 2014 IP
    malky66 likes this.
  10. sayeen

sayeen Active Member

Best Answers:
    kewl...I guess I learned it the hard way fml...i dont think I can ask for a refund though...oh well

sayeen, Feb 28, 2014 IP
  11. vckc4ever

vckc4ever Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    perhaps you would like to contact them and tell them you have these domain names and would like to promote their products too. Work out some form of commission based proposal/collaboration ?

vckc4ever, Mar 1, 2014 IP
  12. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    He's in Pakistan so the laws will be slightly different there. I'm not sure how it all works when the plaintiff is in one country and the defence is in another.

sarahk, Mar 2, 2014 IP
  13. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    For UDRP, it wouldn't matter. They wouldn't even require a response from the accused. Country and local laws would only matter for suing.

ryan_uk, Mar 2, 2014 IP
    sarahk likes this.