1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to select a domain registrar

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by roweis, Jan 5, 2017.

Hello!

I have taken a few courses offered by various Internet marketing "gurus" on how to set up a website, select a domain name, register a domain, etc. and usually they recommend either Godaddy or Namecheap as the best registrars. However, I have started checking (using the Whois Lookup) where these internet marketers register their own domain names and almost never find Godaddy or Namecheap. I often find Enom, Inc. for example. In fact, one of the internet marketers said that if you you wish to be safe, don't register your domain with a "retail" registrar like Godaddy or Namecheap, because even one single complaint against your domain can result in having your name blocked or deleted by these two registrars. Is that true? Is it that risky? I had always thought that Godaddy or Namecheap were the best or most reliable.

Can anyone advise me as to what domain registrar I should select, and whether I should avoid Godaddy and Namecheap?
    Thank you very much!
    Rob

roweis, Jan 5, 2017 IP
  2. ulterios

ulterios Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Beware of anyone calling themselves a "Guru" as that is usually a sign of BS and they are trying to get you to believe they know what they are talking about. Not always the case but most people who call themselves a "Guru" online are full of hot air! ;)

Best is a matter of opinion but these are both top registrars. Personally I think that Namecheap is the best and that's based on thousands of domains owned over many years and through many different registrars. Namesilo, Uniregistry, Dynadot and Name.com are also good registrars.

Enom is what will show if you register a domain at Namecheap or other Enom resellers. This is very common.

Avoid that person's advice, they do not know what they are talking about by this statement obviously.

That is not true at all. If there is a complaint the company that you registered your domain through will investigate any complaints before taking any action. This doesn't matter if you bought from an actual registrar or reseller.

What are you considering reliable and about what aspect? These are both good registrars and I have had thousands of domains at both over many years and never had any issues with either of them.

It all comes down to preference. Personally I always prefer Namecheap as they have the best customer support and service from the very large amount of registrars that I have used over a long period of time. After Namecheap then I can also recommend Namesilo and Godaddy as next tier choices.

Good Luck ;)

ulterios, Jan 5, 2017 IP
  3. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I use Namecheap and have since 2007. I recommend Namecheap highly. I moved my domains out of GoDaddy back in 2007 because of their policy of seizing domains for allegations of "spamming".

Without a question Namecheap is far, far, far superior to GoDaddy in almost every possible way, including price.

billzo, Jan 6, 2017 IP
  4. WHUK

WHUK Member

Best Answers:
    There are many factors need to be considered when choosing your domain name registrar. Before you settle on any domain name registrar, read the policies of some registrars, so you have an idea of what terms and conditions are standard and which you may want to question.

WHUK, Jan 8, 2017 IP
  5. Overflame

Overflame Active Member

Best Answers:
    I stick with no registrars, I go to the one that has the best prices (of course it also has to have a stable platform).
    For example last year I've had domains bought/transferred to like 10 registrars because I was getting good offers, now I have my domains "only" at 8 of them (because I've got nice transferring offers): NameCheap, NameSilo, NetworkSolutions, MyDomain, Dotster, Domain.com, Netfirms and Rebel.

Overflame, Jan 9, 2017 IP
  6. karen9999

karen9999 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Look for a registrar that is easy to contact and has a solid customer service record. You will want a registrar to act quickly when your site goes down or provide a fast resolution when there is an issue.

karen9999, Jan 9, 2017 IP