1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to protect my sitemap

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by dexterivivi, Oct 28, 2014.

Hi, I encountered a problem.

our sitemap submitted to google, to let google grab it, my sitemap xml is public, anyone who know our sitemap url can download my sitemap file, and grab all the businesses urls in the sitemap files. it's bad for us. we want to protect our content.

so I want a solution to let google access our sitemap file only, and don't want anyone else can access it. what's the best practices?

any help is appreciated. Thanks

dexterivivi, Oct 28, 2014 IP
  2. leonidus1981

leonidus1981 Banned

Best Answers:
    Read this http://webmasters.stackexchange.com/questions/59849/how-to-hide-my-xml-sitemap-from-competitors-but-not-from-search-engines

leonidus1981, Dec 24, 2014 IP
  3. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Uhm... Anyone can download anything on your public facing webpage regardless of a sitemap, as long as they know what they're doing. You're not protecting anything by hiding the sitemap - if you want to protect content, you need some sort of login or temporary download urls or similar.

PoPSiCLe, Dec 24, 2014 IP
  4. jahbuzoreze

jahbuzoreze Member

Best Answers:
    You're damn correct. The fact is that anybody with a good web development IQ can download pretty much anything on your site secured or not.

So my suggestion is you give some measure of protection to your valued content.

You can't expect full security in the online world. No.

jahbuzoreze, Jan 7, 2015 IP
  5. websitetools

websitetools Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hiding a sitemap will almost always give zero benefit. If a competitor wants to analyze your internal pages, they will use some website checker / crawler software (e.g. A1 Website Analyzer - but there are more tools out there) and let it run till done, so they can find all pages and get an analysis of them. They do not need sitemap files for that.

websitetools, Feb 14, 2015 IP