1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to protect my site forum from signature link abuse!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by SEOLearner, Feb 6, 2006.

Forum is a base for marketing. Also a place for spammaers. As a result my forum pages are flooded with good and bad site. I don't want to disable the signature link option. I want to provide this facility to my community members but how can I minimize the rate placing bad signature link as well.

Allowing signature link in my forum pages am I doing any harm to my site:confused:

Thanks in advance.

SEOLearner, Feb 6, 2006 IP
  2. bentong

bentong Banned

Best Answers:
    perhaps you can set a new rules that is applicable only to newly registered members.

just like here, new members are not allowed to post live links, sig links unless they reached a certain forum membership requirements and last dont allow affiliate links..

bentong, Feb 6, 2006 IP
  3. bschneider5

bschneider5 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not sure which forum software you are using, but I have used PhPbb and the plugins that require a certain postcount before you can have a sig.

bschneider5, Feb 6, 2006 IP
  4. digital1

digital1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you are using vBulletin, I believe you can use the promotion system to allow users the ability to add links to their signature. There's also a few signature hacks that will place a rel="nofollow" tag in all outbound links over at vBulletin.org too.

Of course if you're using different forum software then you can go ahead and disregard my post...

digital1, Feb 6, 2006 IP
  5. GTAce

GTAce Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Putting promotion and usergroup restrictions aside...what is so out of control about them? Do they just look tacky, do they link to sites that you don't like? Put some rules in place that limit the freedoms of signature use....here are mine for example

Signatures

* Maximum signature size is 75 pixels high by 500 pixels wide
    * Maximum font size is "2"
    * Three clickable links allowed per signature
    * Maximum of three colors per signature (black is considered a color)
    * Maximum of five lines per signature
    * You MAY include links to other websites in your signature, but links to any sort of affiliate (referral) or rewards program will be removed without prior notice

If you can find a way around those rules to make signatures out of control, I'd like to hear it ;)

GTAce, Feb 6, 2006 IP
  6. juniorcj

juniorcj Guest

Best Answers:
    The nofollow tag is very popular, but its not one I prefer to use myself.
    I recommend allowing linkable signatures, it only ads to people's desire to come to the forum.

But limit it to 2 lines as said above, this way it won't look too out there.

juniorcj, Feb 8, 2006 IP
  7. GTAce

GTAce Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Odds are, not many of your members will ever notice that you are adding the nofollow tag to signatures...I think there are more advantages than disadvantages to doing it

GTAce, Feb 8, 2006 IP
  8. juniorcj

juniorcj Guest

Best Answers:
    True, but webmaster savvy people will know if they look in the code.
    If your forum isn't aimed at webmasters, then it wouldn't be a problem.

juniorcj, Feb 8, 2006 IP
  9. GTAce

GTAce Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Even if you do run webmaster forums, it isnt going to be the end of the world...I consider the vast majority of the traffic I receive from signature links to be real, actual people - definitely not search engine listings

GTAce, Feb 8, 2006 IP
  10. bentong

bentong Banned

Best Answers:
    you dont need to worry about the no follow tag if your forum is not webmaster related. :D

bentong, Feb 9, 2006 IP
  11. angelfire

angelfire Peon

Best Answers:
    Putting restrictions to the signature is the best idea(imo). You can limit the number of links and have a minimum number of post before they can put a live link. :)

angelfire, Feb 9, 2006 IP
  12. Grant

Grant Active Member

Best Answers:
    Requiring a certain amount of posts has worked best for me in the past

Grant, Feb 9, 2006 IP
  13. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    Thats the best way to do it IMO.

mdvaldosta, Feb 9, 2006 IP
  14. solidgas

solidgas Freak

Best Answers:
    We allow our members to have a signature after 30 posts. They can also add links to their sig, but we reserve the right to remove any link we feel is not in the best intrest to the forum.

solidgas, Feb 10, 2006 IP
  15. Momo

Momo Peon

Best Answers:
    Just curious, what kind of links do you feel are not to the best interest of your forum?

Momo, Feb 10, 2006 IP
  16. solidgas

solidgas Freak

Best Answers:
    We have a dog forum and there are hundreds of backyard breeders who have websites that sell dogs. So to make it fair to everyone we don't allow "dog for sale" websites to be listed, unless they can prove that they are only breeding registered dogs.

If we allowed these links then we would degrade one of the purposes of the forum, which is to educate visitors that they should buy dogs only from the local human society or from a registered breeder.

The hardest part is filtering out these breeders in adsense. They are the highest paying advertisers, but our members get really upset when the see a backyard breeder advertising on the site. So we hve to filter them out.

solidgas, Feb 10, 2006 IP