1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to prevent my eBook from being uploaded on sites like mediafire?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Sai Krishna Deep, Jan 15, 2014.

1. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Brand it well. Do it smartly where it would be unlikely someone sharing it would edit them out or someone trying to resell it as their own would catch everything. Watermark the photos/images/illustrations. Mentions (in various combinations of words) of yourself, your business and your website (you do have one, don't you?) should be used throughout the book. In other words, make it a pain in the neck for someone to rebrand it as their own but be mindful to not overdo it and ruin your book. Additionally, even if it does end up online, it can help drive people, who like the book, to seek you out looking for more.

There is no surefire way to keep folks from stealing written words online. You can issue DMCA notices and try to get it removed from some sites. If the book becomes popular, it might end up becoming too time-consuming to really chase all of the copies. You could sue for copyright infringement but that gets expensive and if multiple countries are involved...very complicated. The best you can do is try to take advantage of the fact that most of them are lazy and stupid crooks.

I suspect that the WSO was presented by the thief rather than the author. The 15 new pages was probably nothing more than an attempt to change the page count and thereby try to claim it wasn't the same book. There are some good and honest folk over there but it seems to attract a lot of folks who make money by taking advantage of or scamming newbies.

I'm not sure you understand the suggestion of posting a portion of the book. One, you are letting people get a taste of the information to see if they might find it worthwhile. Two, by posting it first, it will help with your claims of ownership and make it less desirable for the thieves.

YMC, Jan 22, 2014 IP
    TPvinod likes this.
  2. TIEro

TIEro Active Member

Best Answers:
    That's not the question here: they want to know how to stop someone buying the book and uploading it wholesale so that other people don't have to pay. It's not an ownership issue, it's a piracy issue.

Those are all good ideas for making it tougher to steal content, though. :)

TIEro, Jan 22, 2014 IP
  3. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Unfortunately, there is no foolproof way to stop pirates. The best you can do is to make it easier to defend your ownership or take advantage of the unauthorized distribution.

YMC, Jan 23, 2014 IP
  4. Sean DeSilva

Sean DeSilva Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    One interesting tactic I've seen is to use a guilt inducing antipiracy disclaimer. Instead of telling them that piracy is wrong, you talk about how piracy makes it hard for you to keep putting out high-quality content. And then you ask for a review on Amazon or somewhere else in exchange for the material they pirated.

Sean DeSilva, Jan 23, 2014 IP
  5. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You could include something in the document like, "If you obtained this ebook from anywhere other than ______, it may not be the latest and most complete version."

Though, I suspect most folks know exactly what they are downloading, that it is unauthorized and don't particularly care.

YMC, Jan 24, 2014 IP
  6. Sarah Davis

Sarah Davis Active Member

Best Answers:
    There are some techniques you can incorporate into your eBook that may put people off distributing it, but there really isn't a lot you can do. If you see your book being distributed for free elsewhere, then the best thing you can do is sent a DMCA complaint to the webmaster.

Sarah Davis, Jan 26, 2014 IP
  7. John Eulizer Nimo

John Eulizer Nimo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Great idea. you always have to be one step ahead.

John Eulizer Nimo, Jan 28, 2014 IP
  8. Content Maestro

Content Maestro Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As a countermeasure, include all necessary clauses in your Copyright Policy. BUT STILL, this is something you can't stop. It's practically impossible to keep a track of every person who illegally uses your content and sue him/her for Copyright Infringement.
    If you create your own eBooks, I would suggest to add your LOGO or WATERMARK on every page. This way, people who read your eBook will come to know that you are the original author. Additionally, make it difficult to extract the contents of the eBook by locking or encrypting them. These things can be easily done when creating eBooks in the PDF format. However, please note that what I have suggested is by NO means an absolutely foolproof idea. (E.g. someone may just convert the eBook pages into image files, remove the watermark or logo using an image editor software and obtain the text with the help of an OCR program.) But I hope that this will at least reduce content theft.
    ..... This is just an idea that occurred to me. You will find a host of ideas that are way better if you search on the web.
    http://inkwelleditorial.com/prevent-ebook-theft - Please check if this helps.

Content Maestro, Jan 28, 2014 IP
  9. mindmedia

mindmedia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    1. Copyright your eBook.
    2. Upload to these distribution sites with a small preview and a promo code.
    3. Protect your eBook with an one-time password.
    4. Give proper rights of redistribution (so that your name is still intact somewhere).
    5. Read up copyright notices on Google.

mindmedia, Jan 29, 2014 IP
  10. Deepak patel

Deepak patel Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    B
    But what if Buyer Start Uploading it and start sharing it.

Deepak patel, Feb 4, 2014 IP
  11. brandoMarks

brandoMarks Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have noticed unless it is a runaway bestseller, it is not going to be copied very much and immediately once you write it your the copywriter holder and can show proof that you uploaded it at an earlier date. plus if you have a large following your fans will probably tell you as well if you were being copied as their are a lot more boyscouts out there that want to inform you, than you may think lol.

brandoMarks, Feb 11, 2014 IP
  12. Content Maestro

Content Maestro Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with brandoMarks. You should focus on strengthening your network as much as possible. Your network, full of your fans, can serve as an excellent tracking system.
    I think you should leverage this psychology for keeping a check on your content being stolen. How about offering incentives to your fans who report such things?

Content Maestro, Feb 11, 2014 IP
  13. hobbesmedia

hobbesmedia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Amen to that!

hobbesmedia, Feb 12, 2014 IP
  14. sumdor

sumdor Active Member

Best Answers:
    It has become very difficult to hold onto our works ... best is giveaway free of cost and ask for help like well-known singer Amanda Palmer :)

sumdor, Feb 25, 2014 IP