1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to post for buying sites

Discussion in 'Support & Feedback' started by John D, Mar 28, 2018.

Hey,

I can only see a link to sell sites, I am looking to buy but I don't see how I can.

John D, Mar 28, 2018 IP
  2. Arick unirow

Arick unirow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Hi John,
    As far as I know, the button/menu to create 'Buying Thread' in 'Sites/Domain' only available to Premium Member.

I have re-checked it again and here are the screenshots of that 'button/menu' (all screenshots were taken using phone):
    Screenshot_20180328_190038.png

Another screenshot:
    Screenshot_20180328_190524.png

More info Available Here.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    Arick unirow, Mar 28, 2018 IP
    sarahk and malky66 like this.
  3. John D

John D Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I dont understand why posting to buy is available to premium... would it not make more sense to make it for people selling making money by selling...

Hmmm. Unusual move to me.

John D, Mar 31, 2018 IP
  4. malky66

malky66 Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    @digitalpoint explains why in this thread: https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/cant-post-wtb-threads-in-sites-marketplace.2828748

malky66, Apr 1, 2018 IP
  5. John D

John D Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hmmm... I disagree.

I don't think someone looking to buy a site is a cheat / fraud, I'd actually say its the opposite.

How do I cheat someone or fraud someone if I am sending them money...

John D, Apr 1, 2018 IP
  6. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It's more about YOU (the potential buyer) being defrauded because in that scenario the system doesn't verify ownership of the domain that the seller is trying to sell you.

You post a "Buying" thread and random user says they own domain xyz.com and you want to buy it. You send them money and then they not only disappear, but they were never the owner of xyz.com to begin with. It's a support issue for us to help unravel all of that crap... changes were made in both directions... more sellers can post stuff to sell if they verify ownership (you don't need to be an established member, just an actual domain owner), and the buying became more restrictive because again... more work for us. As far as I know (I haven't looked into it exhaustively), you can't post "buying" posts in any of the major domain marketplaces at any membership level (for example Flippa). Correct me if I'm wrong...

digitalpoint, Apr 1, 2018 IP
  7. John D

John D Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    OK, I understand that viewpoint - It is sensible.

But.. should a buyer not do due diligence before buying?
    I know I wouldn't send $10k or even $1k before ensuring they are the owner, have the rights to sell and it would be completed, if necessary, by escrow.

It wouldn't be up to you to do this, this is a trade between 2 people, you just have the forum where they interacted.

I don't know to go into this too much, really, but if someone introduced one person to another that is selling a car, its done, it isn't their problem if there is any problem, it's between the buyer and seller.
    If online, use escrow. Use a credit card. Use Paypal.

DP wouldn't be in the equation..?

I've bought some things on here and there were major problems that I didn't know about, but I never went to support here, it is my problem....

I just think someone should be able to post asking for a site for sale and once that sale is done, it has nothing at all to do with DP..

What is the difference if a premium member asks to buy a site and a non-premium asks to buy a site?
    Does the premium member get some protection?

I'm not being rude here, because Ive been here years, but I don't get the logic.

I have money to spend.... I want to spend it through here, there is no relationship between DP and me and the seller..

There are other sites do do it free... I'm a fan of DP, I read more than I post. I just don't understand this model.

I'm constantly buying sites and theres a lot I think I can get gfrom DP by putting up a buying thread instead of going through the selling.

Might be wrong in some of this, its my perspective, but I think I am also right on some.

Your support doesn't have to deal with deals between two people, they posted, they talked, they sold / bought... that's their situation... both morally and legally.

John D, Apr 2, 2018 IP
  8. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    In theory, yeah... people should do their due diligence, use escrow service and not come crying to us when they don’t. The unfortunate reality is that is rarely the case. People expect us to intervene and get involved because of the most idiotic things. We get to deal with someone buying a PHP script from someone here 5 years ago and now they want it updated for PHP 7, but the original developer isn’t here anymore so they want us to refund them the $2 they paid to *them* or maybe we could just rewrite it for them for free ourselves. Those kinds of things are real requests.

It really just comes down to making less work for us (even if the support requests *shouldn’t* come in, they do). Sucks but we make exactly $0 on domain/site sales (in fact we probably technically lose money because of the support), so spending a huge amount of time/resources dealing with people letting themselves get ripped off isn’t really a great use of our time/resources. If there was someone a way to force all buyers to use an escrow service, we would open it up, but not really sure how one would go about forcing them.

digitalpoint, Apr 3, 2018 IP
  9. John D

John D Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A nicely worded F Off and deal with your problem with the seller would suffice in this circumstance, you aren't taking a % of the deal, its between 2 people.

Pretty simple... just have a term that you have nothing to do with any transactions ( Which you don't ) so they should use escrow or similar if they have any qualms / problems with a sale... or just don't buy, its not your problem...

John D, Apr 4, 2018 IP