1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to move WordPress website from one host to another?

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by Jeffr2014, Feb 14, 2015.

I did quite a few customizations in the theme files and therefore didn't upgrade to the new theme version (yes, I know I should have done it properly and created the child theme ;)).

Nevertheless, will this strategy work:
    1. Use FTP and copy the entire Wordpress folder to local drive
    2. Install Wordpress and the new version of the theme on the new host
    3. Overwrite newly installed Wordpress folder files with the copy from the local drive?

If this startegy works, the next question is about database. I created database backup, I assume I can just restore it in the new installation... right?

Any feedback, suggestions, recommendations will be helpful here - I need to go through this exercise by the end of next week...:(

Jeffr2014, Feb 14, 2015 IP
  2. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Copy all of your existing files as is and upload them to your new server. If you can, you can zip all the files into an archive on your old server and place them in the public_html folder then on your new server using the command line you can use a wget command to download it direct to your new server and decompress it. It will save a lot of time over doing it over FPT where a new connection will be established for each and every one of the thousands of files in your Wordpress install. Zipping and downloading direct from old server to new can be done in as little as 2 or 3 minutes.

Download the SQL file of your Wordpress installation (probably using phpMyAdmin) and upload it to your new server (using phpMyAdmin and if that is not available you can FTP it up and import it into your database using command line). If you want you can put the SQL file in your public_html folder on your old server and use the wget command to download it directly to your new server without having to download to your computer first.

For simplicity, do not do a fresh install of Wordpress or make any other changes (including new theme installs) until after you get it imported and setup and running on your new server. Keep everything as is now because you know it works. Otherwise you are bound to run into some problems.

The only thing you need to do is copy your old files and SQL dump from the old server to the new. A fresh install of Wordpress is not necessary and may create problems that will take you a good amount of time to solve. Copy files and import the SQL into the new server's database. It really is that simple.

To test your new server without changing your DNS (so the old site remains active), modify your computer's hosts file. You can do some searching about how to do that.

You should be setup and running in under an hour if you keep it simple.

One thing I forgot to mention is that if you are using cPanel on your old and new host, you might be able to transfer it within cPanel. And some hosts will transfer it for you if both are cPanel.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
    billzo, Feb 14, 2015 IP
    matt_62 and Jeffr2014 like this.
  3. Rado_ch

Rado_ch Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Long story short - that's it! ;)

Rado_ch, Feb 14, 2015 IP
  4. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    I use Vaultpress.. its simple and fast

sundaybrew, Feb 14, 2015 IP
  5. Sugavanas

Sugavanas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just download all the files through ftp, or take a backup using tool like backwpup.

Upload it to new host. Export your db from old host and import it in a new database in your new host.

In your new host, edit wp-config.php and make sure the database credentials are correct.

[Optional]
    If your site is famous and gets user interactions then you don't want to lose the data when your DNS is updating so install a maintenance plugin, on your old host. Activate it and say that the site will be available once dns update is complete. Remember to do this after exporting the files and database.

Now update the domains DNS and wait. You will be seeing the site is under maintenance and once the dns is updated, you will see the new site functioning.

Sugavanas, Feb 14, 2015 IP
    Jeffr2014 likes this.
  6. Rado_ch

Best Answers:
    Actually there is no need for any additional plugin or tool for the DNSs. Assuming that they will still have access to the old host (as they will transfer the files/database out) then they simply need to make sure they properly transferred the whole website to the new host. After that they change the nameservers and during the propagation time the site will be opened either on the old, or the new host. But as the site is the same on both places then it will display practically the same thing. ;)

Rado_ch, Feb 14, 2015 IP
  7. Sugavanas

Best Answers:
    I meant if it was a blog with active users, and if the old site is displayed and the users comment or if its a marketplace and the users buy something from the old site then all the data will be lost in the new site (Also in wordpress forum). So its better to put the old host in maintenance mode [its not goos to just delete the files from old host and make the site seem to be down, so we could call it SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE ;)

This way we could make sure there is no new content lost.

Sugavanas, Feb 14, 2015 IP
  8. gigapros

gigapros Active Member

Best Answers:
    Better yet, have you requested your new host to migrate your site? Chances are, they will! Good luck. :)

gigapros, Feb 14, 2015 IP
    Rado_ch likes this.
  9. Jeffr2014

Jeffr2014 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks a lot guys! This is very helpful.

Jeffr2014, Feb 15, 2015 IP
  10. rumsfo

rumsfo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I always look for a few things:
    1. Reliablility
    2. Support/Knowledge
    3. Price
    As the others have said, you get what you pay for really.

rumsfo, Feb 15, 2015 IP
  11. Cecil Mah

Cecil Mah Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    To move wordpress from one place to another is an easy task if performed properly. Moving a wordpress website from host to another consist of three parts like moving the files, moving the database and reconfiguration. To move wordpress website from one host another you have to use the FTP clients.

Cecil Mah, Feb 16, 2015 IP
  12. matt_62

matt_62 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I would change the TTL values. Read here for more details: http://kb.mediatemple.net/questions/908/Understanding+TTL+(time-to-live)

Essentially, changing the TTL values in advance, can then make migrating to a new server, and updating all the dns be resolved within minutes, not hours.

Your theme sounds like an accident waiting to happen. Make a schedule for when you will redo the theme, for the new version, (hopefully using child themes). I suggest once you move your site, install a copy of wordpress on a subdomain, or in a folder, and redo your theme in the latest version properly, test it, then switch your live site to your new, repaired theme.

matt_62, Feb 16, 2015 IP
    Jeffr2014 likes this.
  13. Raul James Bugahod

Raul James Bugahod Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    It wont work you need to follow few steps before copy and pasting the wordpress files into your new host http://codex.wordpress.org/Moving_WordPress
    I have other effective suggestions to avoid any further hassle using wordpress plug in
    1. duplicator - https://wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/
    2. updraftplus - https://wordpress.org/plugins/updraftplus/
    3. https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-clone-by-wp-academy/

you can search for video tutorials on how to easily set up these plug ins

Raul James Bugahod, Feb 17, 2015 IP
    Jeffr2014 likes this.
  14. PoPSiCLe

PoPSiCLe Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Moving Wordpress is quite simple - however, there are a few pitfalls - mainly internal links in the existing posts, which can be a hassle (depends on if you're moving to the same domain, just a different server, or if you're moving to a different domain) - if it's the same domain, nothing should need to be done, but if there are differences in domain or path, then you'll need to update every internal link on the site, which can be quite easily done in a text-editor on the database-backup-file (search / replace all).
    Set up a new Wordpress install, wipe the database, import the database backup, and you're good to go - then of course, you'll need to install themes, plugins etc. - the easiest way is just make a list and then install it directly from WP control panel - forget about copying files and all that, it's more hassle than its worth.

PoPSiCLe, Feb 18, 2015 IP
  15. chetandhiman

chetandhiman Member

Best Answers:
    Moving wordpress from one server to another or sometimes even changing the domain name can be very time taking and technical job. I had faced same issue. I wanted to change host as well as change the domain. I tried many guides and instructions from professionals but every time I ended up with errors. Then I found this amazing plugin named 'Duplicator'. It is extremely simple and easy to use. It not only provides an easy transfer for wordpress website but also works as a 'Complete Back up' tool. It is really easy and I highly recommend it. I hope it will help someone in need.

chetandhiman, Mar 8, 2015 IP
  16. Cecil Mah

Cecil Mah Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    A WordPress migration from one hosting provider to another is an easy task if performed properly. Basically, to make a WordPress migration from one host to another consists of three parts - moving the files, moving the database and reconfiguration (if needed).

Cecil Mah, Mar 17, 2015 IP
  17. t3cho

t3cho Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hey sir, i done everything as you said but i have problem. There is no way i can export/import mysql database. I created the website on local host and now want to upload it on 1and1 host. I do everything but it just show me an errors a lot.

t3cho, Mar 30, 2015 IP
  18. Rado_ch

Best Answers:
    What kind of errors are you getting and when exactly? Without knowing the steps its pretty hard to assume what the source of the issue might be. But generally if you have a cPanel with phpMyAdmin it should be a breeze for importing/exporting databases...

Rado_ch, Mar 30, 2015 IP
  19. Sugavanas

Best Answers:
    Hey, login to phpmyadmin and you can import/export it there. Here is a tutorial link :)
    http://www.itworld.com/article/2833...ys-to-import-and-export-a-mysql-database.html

follow option one. If your database is more than the upload limit specified by 1and1host then just export certain tables a file to make it smaller.

Sugavanas, Mar 30, 2015 IP
  20. t3cho

t3cho Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hey i do it like this
    [​IMG]

Then on my 1and1 host i create the database MySql 5. Go to myPhpAdmin and use Import

[​IMG]

The error part
    [​IMG]

t3cho, Mar 30, 2015 IP